PDA

View Full Version : Income related: Savings in GCC Area

adamwi
3rd Sep 2017, 07:39
Hello folks,

i am now on the jump to arab region, changing location from switzerland to Dubai. I would have following question: What share of your income do you usually save in the region? (incl. also Qatar, Bahrain, etc.).

(in switzerland i was able to put aside roughly 45%-50% without impact on a convenient lifestyle)

Many thanks and best regards,
Adam

aceman18
3rd Sep 2017, 15:55
Hello folks,

i am now on the jump to arab region, changing location from switzerland to Dubai. I would have following question: What share of your income do you usually save in the region? (incl. also Qatar, Bahrain, etc.).

(in switzerland i was able to put aside roughly 45%-50% without impact on a convenient lifestyle)

Many thanks and best regards,
Adam

UAE - married, no kids. Saving roughly 40% of basic salary/flying pay. Housing allowance all goes on rent.

harry the cod
3rd Sep 2017, 17:35
adamwi

If you're not a troll and this is a serious question, you need to provide more details. What job for a starter, what's your starting salary and what Company. Is it with or without accommodation and what is the allowance. A lot will also depend on what your 'convenient' lifestyle entails but saving 45-50% in Dubai, even on a Captain's salary, is somewhat optimistic. If you're married with several kids and you're the only income provider, it will be tight on an F/O's salary. And without wishing to sound like a knob, our gardener sends around 60% of his salary home each month and lives on the rest, in this case being 400dhs a month! It's all relative.

The fact that you can save what you do, living in a high cost Country like Switzerland, would suggest to me you're better off where you are. It's only getting worse here, especially with VAT coming.

Harry

Jack D
3rd Sep 2017, 19:01
You are overpaying the gardener

richard III
4th Sep 2017, 07:10
GrŪezi, Not only agree with Harry, if you have a 2 plus kids family and you want to send them to the better schools,and if you are saving 45%, in Switzerland of all places.....you are making a big mistake. What you will do is trade lifestyle for big Iron, and trust me, big Iron fever lasts about a year in these places....you will be regretting on your third Dhaka Layover, if it's not your third night turnaround in a row, that is..

adamwi
5th Sep 2017, 14:32
folks, thanks for the quick reply!
completely agree. I can imagine, that it doesn`t work well with family... so far i am alone, sharing accomodation (rarely there), etc..So already trading some kind of lifestyle. Thats the only reason why this is working.
House, Car, Dog, Wife, Children... and savings/savings rate would go down to cellar.