PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an Airline Pilot?

wes94
2nd Sep 2017, 07:53
Hi guys,

I'm hoping I can get a hand from someone on here as I don't really have anyone I can ask in person or get advice from. So a little bit of background, I recently have decided to follow the lifelong dream of becoming a pilot; I have been working fulltime for 3 years after finishing high school in an unrelated field and am now looking into the pathways that could lead to where I want to go.

The only real valid pathway option for me (money complications) that I have found is doing a Bachelor of Aviation at Swinburne Uni. Ideally I feel like a cadetship would be the fastest and best option but I sadly cant afford that option even after HECS/FEE-HELP.

I understand how it works with a cadetship, you go through all the training and then get hired by your airline and work your way up through there. But in my case when I complete my degree what exactly would I be doing from there? It's confused me because its not like completing for example a law degree where as soon as you're done you apply to work at a law firm. Where do I go from there? What job position am I qualified for? Do I apply to multiple airlines in the hopes of getting a job?

Sorry for the long winded question; just hoping I can get some insight before I start!

Band a Lot
2nd Sep 2017, 10:15
What does a lawyer out of uni do for work and what do they get paid (I expect to get the award min and the real pay or casual rates)?

Should look like this-

Base Rate
$35,586
First Year Rate
$38,037
Second Year Rate
$41,835
Third Year Rate
$46,133
Fourth Year Rate
$50,872
Fifth Year Rate and Thereafter
$55,955

Yes you apply for jobs that you are qualified for.

wes94
2nd Sep 2017, 10:33
Thank you for your reply! So what exactly am I qualified to do right after? From the website it states that I will obtain a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) and Multi-engine Command Instrument Rating (MCIR). They also complete a Multi Crew Cooperation and Jet Orientation Course or Flight Instructor Rating, and Frozen Air Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL).

When I finish this course is it fair for me to expect to be able to apply for jobs at an airline? I understand obviously starting out at the bottom and working your way up in terms of hours and seniority. But say the ultimate goal is captain where do I begin after I finish my studies and what are the steps I take to get there?

Many thanks

PoppaJo
2nd Sep 2017, 11:18
Get in contact with some students who have completed that course within the last decade and see where they are at.

What job position am I qualified for? Do I apply to multiple airlines in the hopes of getting a job?
Dont rely on this. They wont hire based on a degree, Ive never seen this happen (thinking now, forget what was happening last decade). If you cant afford it drag it out over x number of years, get instructing then focus on building hours. It wont happen fast, the industry is fairly dead and jobs are scarce. There are alot unhappy pilots overseas who will fill left hand seats in narrow body's for a number of years to come, best way of getting there is via charter job/regional airline.

colebertos
2nd Sep 2017, 12:48
I'm actually studying the Bachelor with Swinburne at the moment.

The program is quite intensive, but very rewarding and there's plenty of students in the course from all kinds of backgrounds, and all aiming for different roles in the industry.

The flying is outsourced to CAE Oxford, with initial training being flown on Cessna 172s, all fitted with G1000 instruments, and then progressing on to PA44 Seminoles, also fitted out with the G500/G1000... the school is also beginning to acquire Diamond DA42 aircraft, along with a few new 172s.

Be warned that Swinburne students are usually not a priority however, as the school is actually half owned by China Eastern, their cadets do get priority.

During the final stages of the course, you will be given the option of either completing your Instructor Rating, or Multi Crew Rating, depending on where you are wanting to go.

A lot of the instructors you will find at CAE are actually past Swinburne students, and that appears to be the position a lot of them are ending up to begin with.

A program worth looking at if you're wanting to get right into an airline is actually the Jetstar Cadetship program, their next intake is March 2018. In most aspects it is very similar to the Swinburne Bachelor program, your training will be with CAE and you will complete some select units with Swinburne to be able to access Fee HELP, however it is condensed down to 18 months.

I do highly recommend the Swinburne program, even if it provides you with nothing more than a way of making similarly minded friends, and creating some vital industry connections, there are also some amazing mentor programs which will connect you with a range of people who know how to get where you want to be.

Track5milefinal
5th Sep 2017, 13:16
A lot of the instructors you will find at CAE are actually past Swinburne students, and that appears to be the position a lot of them are ending up to begin with.

Something I despise in every way with this industry !

Flyboy1987
6th Sep 2017, 03:58
Something I despise in every way with this industry !

What's wrong with learning from someone with no experience 😳😳