PDA

View Full Version : Is the flight school right or wrong..?

yngve
1st Sep 2017, 20:20
I have PPL-A and IR theory completed.

I am about to begin flight training with a flight school in Spain, but suddenly they now refuse to let me begin because they claim I have to have VFR night rating, not only to take the skill test, but just to be allowed to begin IR training.

However, Part-FCL says something different:

FCL.610 IR — Prerequisites and crediting

Applicants for an IR shall: (a) hold:

(1) at least a PPL in the appropriate aircraft category, and:

(i) the privileges to fly at night in accordance with FCL.810, if the IR privileges will be used at night;

So how can a school claim with certainty that I have to have VFR night rating to even begin IR SEP training? Weird!:*

B2N2
1st Sep 2017, 20:38
(i) the privileges to fly at night in accordance with FCL.810, if the IR privileges will be used at night;

And the problem is?
Where did you do your PPL and your IR theory?
I'd be more concerned about doing the IR in Spain then the night rating

yngve
1st Sep 2017, 21:28
Thats what I dont understand myself! Its like they have made their own policy regarding IR. But why would you be more concerned about that in Spain?

maf
2nd Sep 2017, 02:28
But if he does not, part FCL does not forbid him to begin training for it, which is what he is asking about. yngve, it might be the school has their own quirks. Where is it located?

BillieBob
2nd Sep 2017, 09:33
So how can a school claim with certainty that I have to have VFR night rating to even begin IR SEP training?It is up to the ATO to set its pre-entry requirements, which must be no less restrictive than the Regulation but may be more restrictive. You have a simple choice: either comply with the ATO's requirements or take your business elsewhere.

nebojsar
2nd Sep 2017, 12:33
As all guys before mentioned get night rating. You will need it for CPL one day, you will need it for IR. It is fun, fast done, and one of cheapest ratings you can get.

B2N2
3rd Sep 2017, 02:58
It wasn't too long ago that Spanish IR's were frowned upon by the UK CAA.
But that may all be better now...

ROMEOVICTOR
3rd Sep 2017, 07:48
Rubbish! Could you explain how thousands of Spanish IR holders are flying around the world then?

PA28161
3rd Sep 2017, 11:49
It says that on my EASA/CAA licence also: Night Rating

B2N2
3rd Sep 2017, 14:01
Rubbish! Could you explain how thousands of Spanish IR holders are flying around the world then?

Probably because they learned the right way afterwards someplace else ;)
There have been many a thread on this subject 10- ish years ago.
Let's get real, Spanish and Italian IR's weren't the most difficult to pass.
As far as any training for any job is concerned...the cheapest way is never the best way.
You know that and I know that.

TryingToAvoidCBs
11th Sep 2017, 18:45
Agreed. Although I do believe things have changed a lot now. I am friends with an Ex-instructor from a large well known Spanish training school who said that a number of years ago it wasn't uncommon for an IR examiner to give a student the keys to an aircraft on a CAVOK day and say something along the lines of "There's the aircraft, take-off, climb into the overhead, do one hold, fly an ILS. Once on the ground come and find me and tell me that you've done it, I'll sign your licence" :bored:

I also used to work with an ex airline Captain who once cancelled an MCC course within two hours, with two guys who had apparently just finished their MEIRs in Spain, but between them couldn't fly straight and level in cloud. They were made to resit their their MEIR skills tests in the UK at considerable cost before they could continue.

B2N2
12th Sep 2017, 00:01
between 2004 and 2006 we had an Italian walk in.
Was already signed off for his MEIR skill test in Italy but on vacation in Florida. Asked to do some training flights on our Aztec to stay sharp for his up coming ride. Which was cool as I actually knew what was expected on a JAA ME-IR.
He cancelled every planned flight after the first flight we did.
Alledegedly as I was trying to get him to do way too much and none of it necessary. Examiner was a friend of his dad and al he needed to do was a VOR approach and that was it.
He balked at the idea of wearing a hood or view limiting device.
True story....

Genghis the Engineer
12th Sep 2017, 07:28
Of course B2, you don't know if his Italian instructors thought he was a useless idiot, or an okay student.

ROMEOVICTOR
12th Sep 2017, 10:13
Another useless Spanish/Italian debate as usual...

B2N2
16th Sep 2017, 14:38
Another useless Spanish/Italian debate as usual...

Not really.
What's next? A Nigerian ATP?
Being cautious with your hard earned money is different from continuously choosing bottom feeder training providers to learn a skill that will save or could end your life.
PPL - I really don't care where
Timebuilding - fly circles in the sky and don't listen to any advise.

Instrument skills - this is where you can make or break your career before it even started.
If you can't muster basic attitude instrument flying during a sim assessment you're done with.
Over and out.
Instrument and multi engine is where you need to put your money as those skills will get you through the door in this profession.
If you feel you need to argue that...show me yours and I'll show you mine