PDA

View Full Version : easyJet / Go are to buy 100 Airbus....

Zulu
15th Jul 2002, 21:16
Tucked away at the bottom of page 8 of this week's Flight;
"..(Airbus)...Key orders expected soon include the 100-plus aircraft deal for low-cost carrier easyJet"

Big announcement at Farnborough...?

Lodestar
15th Jul 2002, 21:39
Any news yet about wgho is gonna fly these planes....?

I mean, they only have 737 pilots and I havent seen any plans yet stating that they will be retiring 737s soon, certainly no 100!

I do hope they will start recruiting busdrivers in the near future....

Devils Advocate
16th Jul 2002, 07:14
One might hazard a guess that on a deal involving 100 aircraft that Airbus have maybe chucked in a 'free' sim or two to help with converting all the Boeing pilots across to being bus drivers - either that or there's surely gotta be some sort of training incentive on offer to sweeten the biter-pill of converting several hundred pilots (which they have already) to fly the electric jet - albeit that some from both Go and easyJet undoubtedly already have experience of the AutoCamel ( see: The Caravan (http://www.pprune.org/go.php?go=/pub/fun/caravan.html) and The Café Scrolls (http://www.pprune.org/go.php?go=/pub/fun/cafescrolls.html) ) from previous careers.

TallPopularHamster
16th Jul 2002, 07:29
perhaps they'll have both ;)

Neo
16th Jul 2002, 11:45
Devil's Adv.

Airbus often provide sim and training as part of the overall Airbus package, so I wouldn't be at all suprised to see it as part of the eventual deal.

AhhhVC813
16th Jul 2002, 11:51
As do the chaps from Seattle, so what??

Algy
16th Jul 2002, 12:07
This was not intended to read as implying an Airbus win, simply an imminent deal for one or the other. It seems to have been slightly mangled at the last moment.

The Management

Tibesti 3415
16th Jul 2002, 12:47
Is that a mix of 318-319-320-321, and what time perspective are we looking at, any body know ??

flch10000
16th Jul 2002, 13:32
Call me cynical.

I reckon its just a ploy to play off Airbus against Boeing as to reduce the price of a 738 deal.

I'll bet my shirt they go with Boeing.

Firbolgs
16th Jul 2002, 14:06
Eggs and 1 basket !!??

A combined fleet is my prediction, but what do I know !

OrsonCart
16th Jul 2002, 15:08
Expect a Farnborough announcement. Airbus 100+, mix of 319/320/321.

TLA901
16th Jul 2002, 15:35
EasyJet and Go, which are set to merge, have signed lease agreements with US lessor Boullioun Aviation Services for Boeing 737 aircraft.

Boullioun confirms Go has taken four Boeing 737-300s on medium-term leases. The last of the four 1998-vintage aircraft were delivered to the UK-based low-fares carrier this month.

The transaction is Boullioun’s second with Go. In December 2001, Go leased one 737-300 from Boullioun. By leasing four 737-300s from Boullioun, Go grows its fleet to 27 737s.

In a separate deal, Go’s would-be parent easyJet has agreed its first lease with Boullioun. The carrier has signed a medium term lease for one new Boeing 737-700 from the lessor, bringing its fleet to 17 737-700s and 18 737-300s.

Financial terms of the agreements have not been released.

The deals come at a time when easyJet is poised to place an order for as many as 100 narrowbodies from Boeing or Airbus, if its planned acquisition of rival Go proceeds. However, easyJet’s decision to lease a 737-700 does not necessarily hold any significance in terms of divining the carrier’s longer-term fleet plans. Before easyJet made its move for Go, the latter had selected Airbus A320s on technical grounds but had not reached commercial terms.

Capt PPRuNe
16th Jul 2002, 17:18
Please READ the comment from Algy: This was not intended to read as implying an Airbus win, simply an imminent deal for one or the other. It seems to have been slightly mangled at the last moment.

The Management

That would seam to me an admission of 'mangled' reporting by Flight International.:eek: I know 'Algy' is in a position to know about these things.:o

So, why are some of you taking it as gospel that the decision has been made?:rolleyes:

In trim
18th Jul 2002, 11:38
If easyJet choose Airbus it will be the A319 (slightly revised version - 150 seats, 2 o'wing exits on either side using the A320 centre section.)

easyJet would then operate as a dual fleet....this is NOT a 737 replacement (though obviously some of the -300's will gradually be phased out.)

eJ have enough bases that some bases will transition to become totally Airbus in terms of based aircraft and crews.

Zulu
18th Jul 2002, 16:16
Like Stansted....:cool:

Colonel Klink
21st Jul 2002, 07:28
It's quite sad that airline management can have an existing airline with 400 plus Boeing 737 drivers, buy another with 250 all 737 rated pilots, then buy an option for DBA who must have another 200, then go and buy an aircraft thqat nobody is rated or current on and perhaps need to retrain the whole lot!!!
I just hope that easyJet have factored in the major disruption of two fleets, increased cost of training, spares and maintenance if they decide to go Airbus; it would be a huge task with that much retraining and we all know the bean counters that make those decisions are rarely the ones having to do all the work!!!
I can't wait to see the faces on the management when the first one goes tech somewhere, and the only replacement crew or aircraft is a Boeing 737!!:mad:

Astronut
2nd Aug 2002, 14:56
Today's Daily Mail has a small article stating easyjet will be ordering 120 new planes within a month. Anyone know if this includes the replacements for GO's fleet?

Buster the Bear
2nd Aug 2002, 17:42
Announced it will probably take an option on about a further 120 new aircraft as part of a total package to ensure it has the flexibility to continue to expand. Easyjet is in talks with Airbus and Boeing for "purchase rights" or non-deposit options on an additional 120 jets through to 2010.

PAXboy
2nd Aug 2002, 19:41
Today (2nd August) The Independent on P 21, mentions the link up of EZY + GOE with reference to the possible benefits that managers would gain upon succesful completion, said to be 24 months. (It does not say what is the start date for that period).

On the matter of the fleet, easyJet expected to award a £3.5bn order for 120 new jets to Boeing or Airbus Industrie in "the next month or so". easyJet will also take out non deposit options on a further 120 aircraft. Ray Webster said that Boeing's 737 was the favourite to win the order over the Airbus A320. "It will require a stunning deal from Airbus to justify changing the fleet over."
The airline is reported as being very close to the decision on headquarters and could announce "as early as next week".