PDA

View Full Version : Dupuytran's Contracture and the Class 1 medical?

The mole
15th Jul 2002, 21:09
Just been diagnosed with Dupuytran's Contracture (you're on the internet, dummy - look it up!). Does anyone have any experience of this and how it may affect the medical, loss of licence insurance etc, etc:confused:

Rob_L
19th Jul 2002, 21:26
A friend of mine has it. It runs in his family. Mother and brother too. With him (aged 55) it's progressed much more slowly than his brother, and he can still play a guitar, and could certainly fly an aeroplane, though he has a heart condition so no chance of a medical certificate anyway. He doesn't want surgery so he lives with it, but he does get some circulation problems in the "worst" finger.

He first noticed symptoms 7 years ago, in one finger, now it's 3. Mother had surgery to lengthen the contracted tendons, but that was 20 years ago, and it wasn't very successful.

Rob_L
20th Jul 2002, 11:48
....and by the way, Maggie Thatcher has/had it.

Charlie Foxtrot India
20th Jul 2002, 12:39
A friend of mine has it and holds a class one, he flies for an airline. He had to have his hands operated on when it got to the point that it was affecting his flying, and then went back to work.

Lou Scannon
26th Jul 2002, 11:49
I've had this for some 25 years, and on both hands. Fortunately it didn't develop to a point that the fingers started to curl and all there is to show are two small bumps on each palm.

According to some people- the problem is an indication of Scandahooligan ancestry in the genes. It seems that people from southern climes are not affected.