PDA

View Full Version : Harvey media helicopters

mickjoebill
30th Aug 2017, 03:36
Link below to periscope broadcast currently showing the first aerial video from the floods. Location is rural. You may be able to shuttle through the broadcast if it is archived.

The point of posting is to highlight the rarity of aerial video of the disaster, noted by the news anchors.
Is there a media exclusion zone over Houston? Or has the weather been consistently crap for the last 48 hours?
https://www.pscp.tv/w/bHTNDDFETEtCWHBWTm5FSmJ8MWVhSmJtbU1SbVJHWDMr-Z7VNuqPSs93x5C67QfqOwQLkss2i3271SjQ8fVo

Mjb

MikeNYC
30th Aug 2017, 13:25
Weather's been crap (below VFR minimums largely), nearby airfields have been restricted to relief aircraft operations, and now a TFR is in place. The TFR permits media aircraft with pre-coordination, and the same with UAS.

nowherespecial
31st Aug 2017, 10:23
Wasn't there a hurricane as well? I don't know specifics of all ac RFM but I suspect flying in hurricane conditions is not permitted :)

31st Aug 2017, 12:22
No aerial footage form the middle of a Cat2/3 storm -and people are surprised!!!

Why put people and aircraft in danger just to satisy the voyeuristic desires of the great unwashed?

The only aircraft that should be involved are those involved in the rescue process.

Seaguard
31st Aug 2017, 13:03
The only aircraft that should be involved are those involved in the rescue process.

From my many friends and former colleagues that are flying in Houston: there is very little air traffic control and the airspace is very crowded. They're having a difficult enough time avoiding each other.