PDA

View Full Version : Vale Aub Coote

djpil
29th Aug 2017, 08:25
COOTE - AUBREY McINNES
Passed away peacefully on 27th August 2017 at Geelong.

Funeral details at Your Tributes | COOTE - AUBREY McINNES (http://www.yourtributes.com.au/en/notices/325-coote-aubrey-mcinnes.html)

First class guy. One of my original instructors back in the '60s when he was CFI at Grovedale, Vic. He taught me aerobatics in the early '70s and formation later. Not that long ago he took my aeroplane up for some aerobatics. He gave me my RAA certificate when he was instructing at Barwon Heads a while back.

john_tullamarine
29th Aug 2017, 08:40
And recalling the aeros training with him at the same time ... top chap.

flywatcher
29th Aug 2017, 08:55
Gave me my night vfr at Welshpool with a few kerosene lanterns in the 60's. A great instructor and a great person, sadly missed.

kaz3g
29th Aug 2017, 10:06
A real gentleman!

Blue skies, mate.

Kaz

gassed budgie
29th Aug 2017, 13:56
Ran into Aub a few times when slipping into Barwon Heads. Sad to hear of his passing.

djpil
30th Aug 2017, 07:44
A bit more info about Aub that you may be interested in. He was aged 92, I believe.
I knew he was at Parkes etc and was involved with the introduction of the Airtourer into flight training when first produced.
CFI at LaTrobe Valley Aeroclub, Victoria, I think from around 1960 – 1964
CFI at Grovedale Airport, Victoria
Ran flying schools at Barwon Heads Airport and Lethbridge Airpark, Victoria
Ex-RAAF No 1 Air Observer School RAAF Evans Head, NSW, as a Navigator. Learnt to fly in 1946, commercial/instructor rating 1951, still active instructor after 64 years (2015).
He built a KR-2 VH-CTE.

"As at January 2009: ARN 008142 with Class 2 Medical and R.A.Aus Certificate No. 01514 with aviation experience as follows:
1944-1945 RAAF navigator/air bomber (Avro Anson/B24 Liberator)
June 1947 Student Pilot License issued
March 1948 Private Pilot License issued
September 1948 Aerobatic Endorsement (flown 21 different aerobatic types)
July 1951 Commercial Pilot License issued
October 1951 B2 Flight Instructor Rating issued
July 1952 B1 Flight Instructor Rating issued
April 1953 A2 Flight Instructor Rating issued
November 1954 A1 Flight Instructor Rating issued
Total aeronautical experience 20,000 hours in 111 different single engine types
Total instructional experience 13,000 plus hours
Tail wheel experience 5735 hours in 55 different types
Have “first Flight/Test Flown” 13 different types of aircraft.
I currently fly as honorary Senior Flight Instructor (R.A.Aus) with South Barwon Air Service based on Barwon Heads Airport."

free on board
2nd Sep 2017, 09:02
I am so grateful to Aub for the many hours I was lucky enough to spend working with him, flying with him and just sitting talking and learning from him.
A great man and an aviation institution that will be sadly missed.
"Thanks mate, I got to go for a fly"

Kwod
2nd Sep 2017, 12:49
Was my CFI at Grovedale where I learnt to fly. Still remember my first spinning lesson with him. Fly to the stars Aub.

Deaf
3rd Sep 2017, 14:07
Always will remember the eligent escape from a loop that was about to fail.

After an accidental spin in the J160 I thought I had better brush on spins before another full power, full flap stall. Talk to Aub then RHS in the Aerobat with a weak donk and two up (I'm heavy), after he was satisfied we are still at over 3500 so "lets try a loop" so nose down, entry speed, nose up. After 120 degree A/S not looking good, stick forward and a neat roll out.

Edited to add

That's the real skill

Identiify the problem
Verbalise to to the student
Fix it or make sure the student fixes it

Aub knew how to do both

Fogduka
4th Sep 2017, 04:55
Sorry to hear that. I knew him when I was flying out of Grovedale. A real gentleman. I remember some sage advice for those of us who managed to spin the air tourer upside down.