PDA

View Full Version : We can all feel safe in Dubbo now

dhavillandpilot
29th Aug 2017, 05:06
I just flew into Dubbo as PIC. Security guard saw me refuel.

I then go to the terminal awaiting a lift home, so it's beer time.

But here the catch, I have to go thru security: had ASIC card in hand and there is no one here except the 5 security scannering people.

To my surprise the security guard that saw me refuelling was standing there as they not only put my bag thru the machine ( no problem there). BUT then they decide I'm a bomb threat so I get the full bomb swab!!!!!!!

Now sitting here having my beer feeling ever so safe.

This is exactly the type of action that puts people off.

BUT WE ARE ALL SAFE

Back Pressure
29th Aug 2017, 05:45
Quota filling ?

Biggles_in_Oz
29th Aug 2017, 07:05
Do you have a beard ?

I am seriously considering getting rid of mine because I'm getting fed-up with being 'randomly' selected for swabbing.

Checklist Charlie
29th Aug 2017, 07:53
I always make sure my dress boots are well and truly 'nuggeted'.

Sends the sniffer machine into a fit. Confuses the heck out of its 'operator'.

CC

Horatio Leafblower
29th Aug 2017, 07:55
I reckon they nail anyone with an ASIC to fill their quotas, because they know we're not really able to make a fuss or ell them to F-off.

Safer that way.

YPJT
29th Aug 2017, 07:56
You were subject to screening in order to enter the sterile area. The fact that you were previously airside means nought.

If the screening point is open, anyone wanting to go in has to be screened including those who work in there. The ASIC is NOT a magic AAA pass.

I wonder if the RPT crews here would be happy with the airport letting someone mix with their screened pax just so they could quench their thirst.

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

YPJT
29th Aug 2017, 07:56
I reckon they nail anyone with an ASIC to fill their quotas
no such thing

Band a Lot
29th Aug 2017, 08:29
no such thing

ASIC or quotas?

I recall not long back a very frequent traveller got very annoyed for getting "checked out" at the airport trying to enter the sterile area.

It should not have been Foreign to her if it was random.

YPJT
29th Aug 2017, 10:54
ASIC or quotas?

I recall not long back a very frequent traveller got very annoyed for getting "checked out" at the airport trying to enter the sterile area.

It should not have been Foreign to her if it was random.

Quotas. But there is also a lot of argument that there shouldn't be ASICs. That ain't gonna happen any time soon.

If you are referring to the incident involving the foreign minister, we'll the screener concerned was in very deep shyte because it was established that she was indeed targeted. Not for malicious reasons rather just being a bit star struck.

Band a Lot
29th Aug 2017, 11:01
Quotas. But there is also a lot of argument that there shouldn't be ASICs. That ain't gonna happen any time soon.

If you are referring to the incident involving the foreign minister, we'll the screener concerned was in very deep shyte because it was established that she was indeed targeted. Not for malicious reasons rather just being a bit star struck.

Has she been random screened since? I have about 3 or 4 times in the few flights I have had since.

Seems Random is only for some and if you don't follow the random scan procedure - you will be in deep shyte- sorry very deep shyte.

Make the rule but don't follow rings bells - bit like citizenship.

YPJT
29th Aug 2017, 11:08
I travel pretty regularly. Have had long bouts where I bypassed ETD numerous times. Others periods where I got pinged 4 or 5 times in succession. I haven't yet developed a persecution complex though.

I just returned from USA. Be thankful we don't have 100% body scanners and LAGs for domestic travel here yet.

Band a Lot
29th Aug 2017, 11:14
So Trump did & does get body scanned for domestic travel?

YPJT
29th Aug 2017, 11:27
So Trump did & does get body scanned for domestic travel?

I wouldn't have a clue. Depends on what their legislation says.

patty50
29th Aug 2017, 21:38
Regional places are always more thorough. If the EDT bloke is standing there doing nothing and you're the only person they'll swab you every single time.

The newer machines flash to them if it selects you for it. So with some it is properly random.

The Banjo
29th Aug 2017, 21:57
Were you wearing a collared shirt and tie?

That in it self is sufficient to raise suspicion west of the Blue Mountains :sad:

YPJT
29th Aug 2017, 22:43
The newer machines flash to them if it selects you for it. So with some it is properly random.

Actually, all ETD points are required to use randomiser and there are numerous ways this occurs. Normal continuous selection also occurs as well.
If the screening point is manned and you are the only person going through, you've got a better chance of winning lotto than not suffering 30 seconds of inconvenience to your valuable time.

dhavillandpilot
29th Aug 2017, 23:15
YPJT you missed the point. I had no objections to putting the Nav bag thru the scanner machine that is a give if you want to go into a sterile area.

It was the bomb swab that got me.

I was the only person in the terminal

What makes Dubbo so weird is go down the road to Parkes and there is no screening because Parkes only gets the SAAB but Dubbo get the 400 and the embrarer

wishiwasupthere
29th Aug 2017, 23:24
FFS, who cares??

Smile, be polite, maybe even have a quick chat to the person at the machine. It literally takes 30 seconds out of your day.

This all screams of a sense of entitlement. You're a pilot? You've got an ASIC? Big deal. Its not like its a surprise at Dubbo that you have to go through security to get to the cafe. If you don't want to get screened (or heaven forbid, swabbed!!), don't go through security.

Ixixly
29th Aug 2017, 23:50
dvahillandpilot, I know this might sound a bit like a Tin Foil Hat Wearing Conspiracy, but what would stop you from flying into a Regional Airport like Dubbo with a bomb in your bag or on your person, walking into the sterile area and handing it off to someone else who then jumps on the flight to say Sydney before jumping onto something much larger within Sydney Airport as they are transferring Domestic?

It sounds a bit loopy but if you don't keep one Sterile Area "Sterile" then you've effectively made any connected Sterile Areas also not "Sterile".

TurboMaggot
30th Aug 2017, 00:41
Get checked nearly every day at work in domestic. The cycle is nearly always the same...

Take a bunch of crap (aerosols) out of your bags, waddle through the scanner, watch the (usually female) flight attendant go through barefoot because of the steel arches in their shoes, have a laugh with the security staff because you know them all, facepalm when your flight bag gets flagged because you forgot to take that random sharp object out, repack everything and run back to the crew room to drop off said sharp object, on return see the other crew being bomb scanned while you go through the initial process again, feel guilty for holding everyone up, have another laugh with the airport staff at your previous error while you shove all your belongings quickly back into your flight bag, get flagged for a bomb scan as well, sheepishly laugh at your crew mates while you're waiting for the scanner to confirm you haven't been rolling in cocaine and glycerine, wish the staff a good day, apologise for holding up your crew and head off to the aircraft for some fun in the sun.

Apart from leaving something in your flight bag that shouldn't have been there, the entire process is as usual and routine as "Gear down" - "Selected".

Lead Balloon
30th Aug 2017, 01:26
It's not about the inconvenience or a sense of entitlement.

It's about the absurd disparities that mean the 'sterile' area can easily be 'contaminated' through circumvention.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
30th Aug 2017, 05:12
ETD testing is now to be "continuous and random". There is no randomiser used any more. As soon as one test is complete, the screener is to select another candidate if one is available. If you are the only one there, guess who that is? This is the result of the last well-publicized "incident". When security was ramped up immediately afterwards, then relaxed, it wasn't completely relaxed. Don't blame the staff, they're just the poor buggers at the end of a long chain.

sms777
30th Aug 2017, 07:20
Next time you want a beer, just take one with you and drink it under the wing of your aeroplane while you are refuelling.:E

dhavillandpilot
30th Aug 2017, 07:42
SMS777

The mind boggles what the security guard would have done!!!!!!!!!

gerry111
30th Aug 2017, 12:24
Three of us in a Bonanza did a local NSW scenic, last Saturday. The three hour flight included overhead Western Plains Zoo. Thank goodness that we didn't land to overnight at YSDU! :ok:

CHAIRMAN
30th Aug 2017, 13:17
Went thru Dubbo about 6 weeks ago on a Thursday and returned via there on a Saturday.
On the Thursday we were screened when we went into the terminal for a coffee (only place open). No real dramas.
On the Saturday everything was closed including the terminal facilities. We caught a cab into town for Maccas. Would have preferred the screening to be able to get a snack and a coffee.
Was really disappointed at the lack of weekend GA activity there for such a large aerodrome. Only thing flying was a super cub doing circuits.
I'm from Redcliffe and the place is really buzzing, particularly on weekends. Why is it so?

TTY
30th Aug 2017, 23:09
"Was really disappointed at the lack of weekend GA activity there for such a large aerodrome" Haven't seen Tamworth on a weekend.

YPJT
31st Aug 2017, 02:25
. Why is it so?

I'd say the airport charges for Dubbo would be a deterrent for GA.

LeadSled
31st Aug 2017, 08:24
"Was really disappointed at the lack of weekend GA activity there for such a large aerodrome"

TTY,
Sadly, with very few exceptions, that is the case everywhere, airport charges or not.
To quote US identity D.Trump: "So sad".

Tootle pip!!

extralite
31st Aug 2017, 09:53
Regular at dubbo and the silliness of the whole security thing there irks me too. I'm sure others disagree. The one bomb threat we had in last few years was detected because UK cops rung our guys and told them who the people were. Or in political speak "The fantastic intelligence sharing of our law enforcement agencies." It is a quiet airfield beside Dan in the supercub and RPT. If council dont allow new hangars to be built this leads to under utilization of their airport as people dont want to leave an expensive aircraft out in the sun. Not sure if this is the case in dubbo but there does not appear to be many hangars there for the size of the airport.

gerry111
31st Aug 2017, 13:30
The one bomb threat we had in last few years was detected because UK cops rung our guys and told them who the people were.

The only time that I have landed at YSDU was in the backseat of a RNZAF Skyhawk during a touch and go in August 1980. We had six bombs on board that we later dropped on the RAAF WLM Saltash range from NZ6252.

Can one still do this sort of stuff?

(RIP Flt.Lt.John Dick who was tragically killed in a low level accident in NZ6253 on 25th March 1981 in NZ. The low flying, really good fun over Barrington Tops will never be forgotten.)

Flying Binghi
1st Sep 2017, 03:59
Went thru Dubbo about 6 weeks ago.....

Was really disappointed at the lack of weekend GA activity there for such a large aerodrome. Only thing flying was a super cub doing circuits.
I'm from Redcliffe and the place is really buzzing, particularly on weekends. Why is it so?

Within an hours drive of Redcliffe over a million people reside. Within an hours drive of Dubbo, not so many...

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
2nd Sep 2017, 03:19
Gerry, sounds like you were lucky (in more ways than one!)

illusion
2nd Sep 2017, 05:51
NZ used to have an air force did they? Where did it go? :E

Flying Binghi
2nd Sep 2017, 06:32
NZ used to have an air force did they? Where did it go? :E

Last seen at Camden, heading west... :)

thunderbird five
2nd Sep 2017, 08:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BzU1sYPjzo

gerry111
3rd Sep 2017, 11:28
Gerry, sounds like you were lucky (in more ways than one!)

Ah yes, but I had much confidence in the professionalism of my pilot. If I'd been an unhappy pax, I had the option of using my ejection seat... :ooh:

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
3rd Sep 2017, 14:18
As did he, just too late. :(