PDA

View Full Version : Captain jobs for europeans in Oceania

Breakthesilence
28th Aug 2017, 12:03
Good morning everyone,

I'm a B737 Captain in Europe and I've always been interested in doing a life experience in Oceania, especially in small Countries like Vanuatu, Fiji etc.

I know there are several difficulties in getting a work permit there and that's the reason I'm writing here.

Is there any airline sponsoring or arranging this issue while recruiting expat pilots?

What about Air Vanuatu for example?

Thank you so much.
Regards

BTS

Keg
28th Aug 2017, 12:08
Fiji Airlines Captain (http://www.longreachaviation.com/fiji-b737ng-captains/)

piratepete
28th Aug 2017, 12:15
This is really good option.New airline operation starting up in November with one 737-800 from Iceland Air.Routes to NZ AUS etc, base is in Apia Samoa.I recently had a holiday their, superb place to spend some time, great beaches, friendly locals etc.Oversight is by Australia CASA I think....Peter.

Chocks Away
28th Aug 2017, 20:00
Nice dream Pete, jobs gone already. Things go well before any media announcements surface.
AirVan is a very tight operation to get into also. The key is you must already be known by someone inside or have a long history of applications.
Air Fiji 737 contract via RishWorst (buyer beware!) is the only "contract" work going in Oceania (or Air Balus PNG also but that's pretty much breaking a strike there right now).
Hawaiian are recruiting full time.
No there is no airline sponsoring such issues as they prefer to employ & train up young locals, while many experienced older Pilots in the region prefer to remain in "Oceania" and as such, "blow-ins" looking for a bit of a holiday experience aren't even looked at. It's just not that type of market in the Pacific.

piratepete
29th Aug 2017, 04:34
BTS,
If you really want a 737-800 job in Samoa you should visit there.They are still recruiting.I know this because I met the CEO when I was there, Mr Tuala.Nice guy his mother was the Head of Cabin Crew at one time.Pete.

troppo
29th Aug 2017, 04:49
BTS,
If you really want a 737-800 job in Samoa you should visit there.They are still recruiting.I know this because I met the CEO when I was there, Mr Tuala.Nice guy his mother was the Head of Cabin Crew at one time.Pete.

Samoan airlines never tend to last...how many have tried?

Breakthesilence
29th Aug 2017, 10:02
Thank you so much guys for your polite and quick replies.

I was wondering how does it work with Fiji the commuting from the bases they offer. If I don't hold a permit to live and work in Australia, USA or Hong Kong, how could they offer those commuting bases to Nadi?

mattyj
29th Aug 2017, 10:08
You might look at Airwork NZ/parcel air or whatever they call themselves. They had a bit of staff turnover, B734F classics..NZ is basically an island nation in oceania 😜..you'll see plenty of beautiful pacific starry skies

Breakthesilence
29th Aug 2017, 11:31
I've been in NZ on holiday and I definitely love it!

The main problem is the work permit...

Breakthesilence
12th Jun 2018, 15:23
I'm putting this thread up again as I was reading about a huge pilot shortage in Oceania so I'm here again to ask if you have any hint on how to move there from Europe.

Fiji Airways actually is looking for F/Os only.

haughtney1
12th Jun 2018, 15:45
I'm putting this thread up again as I was reading about a huge pilot shortage in Oceania so I'm here again to ask if you have any hint on how to move there from Europe.

There isn’t a real shortage in NZ, merely a shortage of real pay. Plenty of us offshore would head back for decent money, as of yet, unless you want to be a career FO at Air Nz, its a pay shortage, not a personnel shortage.

kev2002
12th Jun 2018, 21:42
Career FO? Time to update your intel. Air NZ A320 Captains are down to 5-6 years in the company. Plenty of overseas guys are heading back. If money's the only thing that drives you then you are right to stay where you are.

haughtney1
13th Jun 2018, 04:26
Career FO? Time to update your intel. Air NZ A320 Captains are down to 5-6 years in the company. Plenty of overseas guys are heading back. If money's the only thing that drives you then you are right to stay where you are.

Too right Kev, money is the motivation for now, 5-6 yrs where I am means I can move home and fly a kite if I like, the idea of being a minibus FO at the Koru fills me personally with dread...and only a big pay rise would ease the pain.
The trouble is, lots of us who headed O/S in the late 90’s..early 2000’s always thought Air NZ..QF etc etc were the be all and end all, now for many its a case of same issues, different colour scheme...but with more money to invest or kill mortgages when we return.
BTW, from what I’m told at Koru, 5-6 years is reality for a very few and not the many.

krismiler
14th Jun 2018, 00:01
Scoot in Singapore are looking for B737 Captains for a fixed term contract if you fancy a change. Not quite Oceania but reasonably close, and SE Asia is definitely worth a look.

Breakthesilence
3rd Jul 2018, 14:58
Scoot in Singapore are looking for B737 Captains for a fixed term contract if you fancy a change. Not quite Oceania but reasonably close, and SE Asia is definitely worth a look.

I've already done and passed the online assessment but I'm unable to attend the sim and the rest of the screening in Singapore due to dates availability.
As far as money is concerned, it doesn't look so attractive there considering the high cost of life.

Do you know when Fiji will l start recruiting Captains again?

enoughisenough_
4th Jul 2018, 02:19

the only reason it has come down that low is because there was very little recruitment between 2007 and 2012 which is why it has jumped from 10 years to 5-6. Any joining now will see the time to command go back upwards given the large numbers of pilots who joined 2013 onwards

B2N2
4th Jul 2018, 02:30
Sorry to be this harsh but you want to be Captain but you don’t have work or residency permits, another option you consider the pay to be too low, what is it exactly you’re bringing to the table that “they” don’t have?
When in Rome....you get paid like the Romans do buddy.

Newcomer2
25th Nov 2018, 06:45
Samoa Airways is hiring DECs on their 737, permanent contract:

https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/671.html