PDA

View Full Version : Funke ZATR 833S - volume issues

sid wells
28th Aug 2017, 09:14
I had my first flight using our newly fitted Funke ZATR 833S radio yesterday and found it very difficult to hear ATC correctly.
The issue is that a new incoming message bursts in at very high volume for the first second or so and then reduces to a much lower volume.
The outcome is that if you set the volume for the loud section then you can’t hear the rest of the message. Conversely if you set the volume for the quite section of the message then the initial high volume is painful (and potentially dangerous re hearing loss).

Has anyone experienced this or have a fix please?

Echo Romeo
28th Aug 2017, 09:42
I can't help I'm afraid, but will pay close attention to this thread because I'm considering getting one myself. Other than this issue, are you satisfied with it?

sid wells
28th Aug 2017, 12:05
Just getting used to it. So far I find the sound very thin and harsh compared to most other GA radios I have used - which is quite a few in 15 years of flying..

xair2
19th Jan 2018, 15:43
Hi Sam
Swapped out an ATR500 for a 833s, since fitting, the radio has never worked as well as the original ATR500. Set to 833 spacing, ATC reports very low readability and reception from a 10 mile distance. New aerial fitted, SWR showing 6 watts forward very low reflected, just kicking the needle.

:ugh:

patowalker
20th Jan 2018, 07:06
I made the same swap and it works well. However, it took some time to find the correct settings.

this is my username
20th Jan 2018, 07:11
Had the same problem on a customer aircraft - took out the 833S and replaced it with the 833. Haven't tested it in flight yet.

Shoestring Flyer
20th Jan 2018, 08:37
Why do people keep buying this junk...for a couple of hundred more you can buy a TRIG radio.It is just in a different league quality wise and it is made in in the UK. In the extremely remote chance that you have an issue you just pick up the phone and get first class customer service straight from the manufacturer.

ChickenHouse
20th Jan 2018, 12:40
F.U.N.K.E is WYPIWYG - what you pay is what you get ... I hear complaints on them so many times that I wonder why the heck people still buy that stuff? Yes, if you are on an extreme tight budget you may cut a little money, but frankly - how much, worth what, two hours of flight? I have to work far too hard for my money to have to pay these things twice to get it right.

this is my username
20th Jan 2018, 13:44
FUNKE is a relatively easy swap for an existing panel-mount radio - take the old one out, put the new one in and connect up using an adapter - job done.

With Trig you have to find somewhere to mount the radio unit - so a much more significant job.

That said, I much prefer the Trig.

patowalker
20th Jan 2018, 15:21
Hi Sam
Swapped out an ATR500 for a 833s, since fitting, the radio has never worked as well as the original ATR500. Set to 833 spacing, ATC reports very low readability and reception from a 10 mile distance. New aerial fitted, SWR showing 6 watts forward very low reflected, just kicking the needle.

:ugh:

Mine passed the LAA 20nm at 2000' test with flying colours.

Kemble Pitts
21st Jan 2018, 21:14
I had an ATR833S fitted to the Jodel a couple of months ago.

On the first 'radio check' transmission after installation to the aerodrome's AG radio the response came back as 'strength and readability 5, the clearest radio I've ever heard'.

Seems to work very well in the air with no adverse comments from ATSU and giving clear reception for the pilot.

We did have an early issue with low receive volume via the separate intercomm but that was fixed by the installation of a resistor somewhere between the two as per Funkewerk instructions.

Maybe some of the posters' installations have been less than ideal rather than the radio itself being the problem?

mjuhrig
23rd Jan 2018, 06:18
few questions in order to help you:

is the ATR883S driving headsets directly or through an intercom?
are you using the loudspeaker outputs (pins: LSP+:1, LSP-:16) or headset outputs (pins: hs0: 2, hs1: 20)?

Cheers Mark

peoes
4th Apr 2022, 13:12
Sorry for bringing up an outdated (?) post, but it seems there was no conclusion on this post.
I have myself just swapped an old ATR 500 with an ATR833S, using the adaptor (and the old wiring harness).
Issues:
1. The radio seems to be very sensitive to voltage level. If it goes below 12.4V (or thereabouts), it cannot submit and gives a "screeching" sound when PTT is pressed. Above 12.4V it transmits fine.
2. Intercom is not working (regardless of voltage level)
3. There is sidetone only in one of the headsets (the right one, as it happens to be)

Not sure if it has any relevance, but it is a composite aircraft.

Any guidance on what to do?