PDA

View Full Version : Replacement all-in-one NAS & Media streamer with concurrent HDMI and Toslink

The late XV105
26th Aug 2017, 21:27
I am searching for a replacement all-in-one NAS & media streamer with concurrent HDMI and Toslink.

For the past few years I have successfully used an "Iomega TV with Boxee" as an all-in-one media device that on one hand is a 2TB NAS visible on the network (thus allowing easy copying of new media as well as access from other media streamers on the network) and on the other a highly capable streamer of that content to the TV with just about every audio and video codec (bar 4K support which I don't need). Importantly for me it also has simulataneous HDMI (to my TV) and Toslink (to my amplifier) output without needing to use an external converter to get the latter.

Unfortunately it has now failed and the only way I can currently find of replacing it is to buy three separate items:

A media streamer such as the Roku 3 as one example
An external USB 3 HDD to plug in to one of the other NAS' on the network (if I use it plugged in to the media streamer I will need to physically move it to the PC each time I want to add media files and then move it back)
An external HDMI to HDMI and Toslink splitter that allows both outputs to be active concurrently

Before I go down this route is there an all-in-one device that I have missed?

Cheers.
TLXV

Two_dogs
27th Aug 2017, 21:44
Try this.. I have this setup and it is seamless. Raspberry Pi running Kodi
Raspberry Pi - Official Kodi Wiki (http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi)
https://kodi.tv/

The late XV105
29th Aug 2017, 08:00
Thanks, Two_dogs. I'd forgotten about the Pi and Kodi and that this combination will allow functioning as a UPnP "NAS" that can be accessed remotely for file copy and streaming.

Over the weekend I've managed to fix my current device by returning it to factory defaults and then reconfiguring so I'll continue with it for now and then go down the Pi & Kodi route either (a) when the current box fails again or (b) when Pi has USB 3, whichever is the sooner.

Thanks again. :)
TLXV

Jhieminga
30th Aug 2017, 18:19
Would a model from the Mede8er range fit the bill? I have a Med800X3D that is very good at a lot of the things you mention.

The late XV105
30th Aug 2017, 22:26
Would a model from the Mede8er range fit the bill? I have a Med800X3D that is very good at a lot of the things you mention.

Thanks for that, Jhieminga! I think you have hit the nail on the head. I've just read the specs and some reviews and this seems to be a very close replacement for my "Iomega TV with Boxee" - if not identical for the functions I need and what I will actually use it for.

As a bonus it even has online streaming of subtitles - the one feature that is broken in the Iomega implementation of Boxee; it works perfectly well in my Boxee Box notionally running exactly the same firmware revision and is much appreciated by my non-English native wife.

I still intend to get a Pi for the "project" value but as an off the shelf one-box solution should the current device play up again I think I'm there.

Thanks again. :)