PDA

View Full Version : Overnight stop, northern VIC

L0u0k0e
25th Aug 2017, 04:21
Hi,

Looking for recommendations for an overnight stop among one of the following airfields: Echuca, Shepparton, Benalla or Wangaratta.

I will be arriving fairly late at night and spending most of the following day there too, so my primary requirement is being close to accommodation, preferably I'd like to camp under the wing otherwise accommodation within walking distance. ( I'm aware of the caravan park at YSHT)

It would be a bonus if there are amneties or somewhere to relax at the field too.

Unfortunately I'm basically restricted to the above four strips due endurance and Nav aid requirements.

Cheers

Lead Balloon
25th Aug 2017, 05:25
I recommend you stop in either Echuca, Shepparton, Benalla or Wangaratta. :ok:

Square Bear
25th Aug 2017, 06:25
Many years ago I overnighted at the Benella Gliding Club accommodation. Was at the field.

Give them a call.

kaz3g
25th Aug 2017, 09:30
Shepparton is the only one close to a pub (the Peppermill) if you want food, but places for camping under the wing there are pretty ordinary.

rodney rude
26th Aug 2017, 23:37
You could try Corowa on the border - could walk into town with a backpack, plenty of accom and the feed at the Newmarket Hotel comes on footy field size plates. OR Italian restaurant at the main roundabout is the best Italian in country Oz

Old Akro
27th Aug 2017, 04:51
The Benalla Gliding club rooms are a bit daft this time of year. Accommodation can be pretty tight at Benalla at weekends. Winton raceway keeps the town busy. But the Executive hideaway is hood and Georguna's restaurant for a meal. You can walk or taxi. Benalla foes not have an IFR approach, though,

Wangaratta is bigger, accommodation is easier the airport has approaches, but in my opinion a Benalla has more charm.

Echuca is a hike to the airport.

Have you considered Yarrawonga?

Bomber ARIS
27th Aug 2017, 05:43
Benalla foes not have an IFR approach, though,

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/BLAGN01-148.pdf

gerry111
27th Aug 2017, 11:34
You could try Corowa on the border - could walk into town with a backpack, plenty of accom and the feed at the Newmarket Hotel comes on footy field size plates. OR Italian restaurant at the main roundabout is the best Italian in country Oz

Rodney rude, Perhaps try a little further downstream, if you like really good Italian food. Swan Hill's Quo Vadis is very hard to beat. (A tad dollar intensive, though.) Or much further downstream is Stefanos at Mildura. (Even more dollar intensive.) Enjoy! :D

L0u0k0e
28th Aug 2017, 03:01
Thanks for all the tips, if only flying wasn't so expensive, I'd do another trip!

Ended up staying in Benalla, proximity to the town and a not very accomodating caravan park at YSHT tipped the scales.

If anyone needs a stopover further north I'd recommend Mudgee, the aero club has accommodation on the field and access to a vehicle, there is also a nice modern terminal building with an all important coffee machine.

Luke

outlandishoutlanding
4th Sep 2017, 11:16
There's also a rather schmick hotel at Mudgee Airport - Hangar House.