PDA

View Full Version : Cabri crash Horowhenua, NZ

John Eacott
24th Aug 2017, 11:20
Trainee pilot in helicopter crash near Horowhenua (https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/96113941/helicopter-crash-near-horowhenua?cid=facebook.post.96113941)

A flying instructor and a trainee pilot escaped without serious injury after their helicopter crashed on farmland near Waikawa Beach, in Horowhenua.
The crash happened about 1.20pm on farm land near Drake St.
Senior Sergeant Sam Gilpin said two people, an instructor and a trainee pilot, escaped the crash. One was taken to Palmerston North Hospital with minor injuries.

https://resources.stuff.co.nz/content/dam/images/1/l/8/e/q/7/image.related.StuffLandscapeSixteenByNine.620x349.1l81zp.png/1503560179344.jpg

Police believed the trainee was in control of the helicopter, which belonged to the Kapiti Aero Club.
Gilpin said it was not yet known why the helicopter crashed, but it had "substantial damage".
"They are very lucky. Any crash with an aircraft is serious, so they are very, very lucky."
A police spokesman said later on Thursday: "From my understanding it was more of a heavy landing, rather than a crash."
David Keeling, who owns the farm where the accident happened, said he was called about 2.15pm and told a helicopter was in his paddock.
He said the paddock was a low-fly zone for training aircraft, and the helicopter was on its side.
The helicopter had curled rotor blades and one door hanging open.
It lay on a slight ridge, between a water tank, fence and a lone cabbage tree.

https://resources.stuff.co.nz/content/dam/images/1/l/8/e/q/6/image.related.StuffLandscapeSixteenByNine.620x349.1l81zp.png/1503560179344.jpg

The landing site was about a kilometre south across farmland from the end of Walkers Line.
Kapiti Aero Club president Greg Bishop said the helicopter was a Cabri G2 operated by the club. He described that model of chopper as "hardy".
The club was grateful the two occupants had not suffered serious injuries. He would not comment on what happened, except to confirm it was a training flight.
A Palmerston North Hospital spokesman said one man from the crash was brought to the hospital, and was is in a stable condition.
The Civil Aviation Authority is investigating.
- Stuff

heliduck
24th Aug 2017, 16:52
I've never seen a Cabri close up, but from the photo it looks like the clamps on the cross tube could be a bit tighter! Reminds me of the old comedy westerns when the girth is loose on the saddle.

CopterDoctor
24th Aug 2017, 17:23
Spares anyone...

Spunk
24th Aug 2017, 17:26
Dynamic roll-over?

Bell_ringer
24th Aug 2017, 17:28
Sat in one, quite roomy for a 2-seater - more so than a Robbie.
Modern, relatively a nice place to be.
Two have been lost locally to students that let the tail get away from them.

WillyPete
24th Aug 2017, 17:29
Well, that's written off.
Looks like they survived quite happily. The cabin looks sturdy considering the rest of the damage.

He said the paddock was a low-fly zone for training aircraft, and the helicopter was on its side.
The helicopter had curled rotor blades and one door hanging open.
It lay on a slight ridge, between a water tank, fence and a lone cabbage tree

I'm going to speculate that someone didn't keep their eye out for the ridge, with it also being shrouded by thick grass.

Massive sideways force, sliding it all the way to the right of the skid frame like that.

helicopter-redeye
24th Aug 2017, 20:02
My money is on the "lone cabbage tree" as the cause

gulliBell
25th Aug 2017, 00:39
My guess is there would have been a GoPro on board and they'd probably already have a good idea what happened. Those lone trees in wide open spaces are a magnet for catching low flying helicopters.