PDA

View Full Version : Just got CPL in US .. and the VISA maze

Gazeem
15th Jul 2002, 17:34
Hi guys,

just got back yesterday from the JAA CPL module in the US, it went well and it was money and time well spent.

I had some fun and games with the immigration service (those of you who know me will laugh!) on the way over due to unclear visa instructions from the embassy.

If you have any q's post them or e-mail through Pprune if you like.

The multi engine test I did was a hopefully once in a lifetime experience, but I'll save that story for the bar at the next Pprune bash.

Gaz

Funkie
15th Jul 2002, 20:11
Gaz,

Well done mate, hope you didn't have too much hassle.....

As for the RAF, it didn’t work out for me so I will be joining you in queue for civi jobs...;)

Anyway, well done and I might see you at the next bash.

Fra:D

Gazeem
16th Jul 2002, 18:09
Hey Fra,

Hard Lines about the RAF.

However, at least with a Civvy licence you will be able to fly if there is the faintest hint of cloud in the air, and you will not have to dress up like a postman!:D :D

All the best

Gaz

Megaton
16th Jul 2002, 18:37
Postman! You cheeky barsteward. I can't believe that a ground-pounder like yourself could successfully aspire to skygod status. Congratulations anyway.

Baldie Man
16th Jul 2002, 19:01
Hi Gazeem,

Well done on the CPL!

Gotta question for you: when did you apply for your VISA and how long did it take to come through? I applied for mine to go to Florida and do the FAA PPL + hours building about three weeks ago but still no word.
What problems did you experience at immigration exactly? As someone who often gets pulled aside for God knows what reason I would be interested to know! ;)

Thanks for your time,

BM.

Gazeem
17th Jul 2002, 16:18
Baldie,

if it is the M-1 visa you are waiting for it took about three and a bit weeks. I rang the £1.90 a minute phone line towards the end and they told me that the visa applications are processed in day blocks, ie if there is a twenty day wait all apps sent in today WILL be processed on the twentieth working day.

Again my problems with the US INS began with a two hour wait at the airport of entry whilst they processed me. This was due to the fact that whilst I had my visa pasted into my passport, I did'nt have the poxy yellow piece of paper (I-10). I thought that this was only the visa application form and now that I had visa it was defunct. There was no information from the London embassy stating that this paper was important. (It is hidden in very small print on the back of the form). SO MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE YELLOW PIECE OF PAPER!

Apart from that expected to be pulled apart about twice on the way in and out of airoprts over there.

good luck

Gaz

Token Bird
17th Jul 2002, 18:12
Ah Gazeem,

Lovely to hear the latest news in the saga of you getting your CPL. I seem to remember taht you went to EFT after some initial indecision. Did you feel that the standard of training was good? Did they forget about airmanship as some foreign schools do? I would be interested in your thoughts about EFT because, as you know, I am considering them for my own CPL,

TB

Megaton
17th Jul 2002, 18:24
EFT were fine. All instructors I flew with were standardized more than adequately and seemed to emphasis airmanship much as you expect from any school in the UK. CAA Examiner (not tame inhouse examiner) certainly had no complaints with my performance during the CPL and I can only attribute that to the training I received from EFT instructor (whose name I'll provide offline to anyone who's interested to save his embarrassment). Aircraft were occasionally a bit ropey but they did make an effort to take maintenance issues seriously. All their aircraft had similar fits and checklists so changing airframes wasn't particularly difficult. Watch out for the weather though!

marpoo
19th Jul 2002, 08:24
ham phisted,
is eft associated with ari ben aviator. have been thinking about going to the school there. any heads up would be appreciated.

matt

Baldie Man
19th Jul 2002, 08:54
Thanks for the info Gazeem. Will definately make sure I take the yellow sheet then!

All the best,

BM.