PDA

View Full Version : Plane Passenger Forced to Sit In Puddle Of Urine For Entire 11-Hour Flight

Mark in CA
22nd Aug 2017, 13:40
Last February, British Airways had to reminds its baggage handlers to not urinate in the cargo holds because it was corroding the metal of the planes. Maybe now they have to have a talk with their cabin crew?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/plane-passenger-forced-sit-puddle-140137947.html

ratchetring
22nd Aug 2017, 14:52
Problems with mingling paxs ,Not crew id suggest,Quite common on PIA flights for them to defecate in the cabin

vctenderness
22nd Aug 2017, 15:06
Piss poor service. I think they were taking the urine. A stain on their customer experience. Maybe next time they could slash their prices.

DaveReidUK
22nd Aug 2017, 18:01
It beggars belief that BA at London couldn't come up with a spare seat cushion and cover for an outbound flight.

In that situation, I'd be tempted to inform the Purser/CSD that I was considering exercising my right to offload myself if they failed to reseat me, and that I would inform them of my decision at some stage before we reached the runway.

If it came to the crunch, I wouldn't anticipate any problem recovering my fare based on BA's implied contract that it would provide me with a clean, dry, hygienic seat to take me to my destination.

AeroSpark
22nd Aug 2017, 20:51
Am I the only one who thinks there may be more than one side to this story? "I said to the stewardess, 'You're obviously going to move me into business, aren't you? I can't really sit here.'" Ba seats are blue I believe? How would a 'yellow stain' show up on it? I'm not saying the seat wasn't wet, just questioning how wet it was and who wet it!

22nd Aug 2017, 21:39
Ba seats are blue I believe? How would a 'yellow stain' show up on it? I'm not saying the seat wasn't wet, just questioning how wet it was and who wet it!
Assuming that this is correct:
https://conservativedailypost.com/airline-forced-respond-man-shares-image-suffered-11-hour-trip/
It was a grey seat and there does appear to be a yellow stain but to me it looks like an old stain.
https://conservativedailypost-guvbvzsunddro8yrw.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Pee.jpg

alserire
22nd Aug 2017, 21:55
It doesn't matter. That's disgusting any way you look at it. I'd have asked for another seat or offloaded myself. That's absolutely outrageous. And he's asked to clean it himself? Then you have a cabin crew union rep trying to defend that by saying crew aren't well paid?

That's a PR disaster from start to finish

DaveReidUK
22nd Aug 2017, 22:34
No pee apology from Willie ... :O

crewmeal
23rd Aug 2017, 05:33
Yet again another example of BA's lack of care. Who cleans the aircraft at LHR these days? I bet it's not BA. Why didn't the crew spot this when checking the cabin or don't they even bother these days?

wiggy
23rd Aug 2017, 08:24
It was a grey seat

Which TBH as got me scratching my head for the reason AeroSpark has already alluded to (though I must admit regardless of the airline I wouldn't have sat in a wet seat for fear of ending up scratching something else) ...........

I guess there's a chance the seat colour was blue and the image got "corrupted" somewhere along the line..

Cirrussy
23rd Aug 2017, 08:29
Or it was a Qatar aeroplane?!

wiggy
23rd Aug 2017, 08:45
A man who forked over more than $1,000 for what should have been a comfortable flight from London to South America said, instead, he was forced to sit in a puddle of urine for 11 hours

My emphasis in the above yahoo version of the event..so no, not Qatar ( if the wet seat incident did indeed happened as described on a Long haul sector...).

Andy_S
23rd Aug 2017, 08:50
"I said to the stewardess, 'You're obviously going to move me into business, aren't you? I can't really sit here.'"

I went into cynicism mode as soon as I got to this bit…….

If true, what the CC could have done, of course, was to upgrade someone with status in the FFP to Business Class then move the unhappy passenger to the vacant economy seat…..

DaveReidUK
23rd Aug 2017, 10:36
A man who forked over more than $1,000 for what should have been a comfortable flight from London to South America said, instead, he was forced to sit in a puddle of urine for 11 hours Though this (http://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-interesting-news-fail-man-forced-to-sit-on-11-hour-flight-in-piss-soaked-seat-20170821) account quotes it as a Heathrow-Cape Town flight:

"Andrew was flying to South Africa to help his parents move to a new house"

wiggy
23rd Aug 2017, 11:23
The image in that version of events appears to show a yellow seat belt.......which is a bit odd for BA. I suspect either the image has "lost" something in the handling somewhere or it isn't an image of the seat in question,

PJD1
23rd Aug 2017, 19:04
Am I the only one who thinks there may be more than one side to this story? "I said to the stewardess, 'You're obviously going to move me into business, aren't you? I can't really sit here.'" Ba seats are blue I believe? How would a 'yellow stain' show up on it? I'm not saying the seat wasn't wet, just questioning how wet it was and who wet it!

My thoughts exactly! As soon as I read that it sounded to me like an attempt to get an upgrade that didn't go his way!

esa-aardvark
23rd Aug 2017, 20:16
Travelled Auckland to Sin Economy many years ago. Guy in
the row ahead of me complained of water from the overhead
panel. Crew kept bringing towels etc to fix it. Eventually the guy
sitting next to me said 'I see this all the time, certain people
bring a loosely stoppered bottle of water which will eventually
leak, hoping for an upgrade'. Crew were having none of it.

packapoo
23rd Aug 2017, 23:07
It beggars belief that BA at London couldn't come up with a spare seat cushion and cover for an outbound flight.

In that situation, I'd be tempted to inform the Purser/CSD that I was considering exercising my right to offload myself if they failed to reseat me, and that I would inform them of my decision at some stage before we reached the runway.

If it came to the crunch, I wouldn't anticipate any problem recovering my fare based on BA's implied contract that it would provide me with a clean, dry, hygienic seat to take me to my destination.

Absolutely Mr Reid.

I'd wait until door closing time and insist I be off loaded to maximise disruption while they off loaded my bags too.

Don't think it would take them too long to find me another seat.

Jet II
24th Aug 2017, 01:01
My thoughts exactly! As soon as I read that it sounded to me like an attempt to get an upgrade that didn't go his way!

How did the seat get stained then if it was a stunt to get an upgrade?

The Stewardess agreed it was pee and the airline has agreed it was pee - the simple fact is that they should have just changed the cushion.

Squawk 6042
24th Aug 2017, 05:41
At least he had a seat!

Three years ago I boarded a KLM flight AMS – JFK to find there was no seat cushion at all, just an empty metal frame. I immediately pointed this out to the Cabin Crew, and yes, in my mind there were thoughts of an upgrade, as economy was filling up around me.

However, after a short wait a technician appeared who fitted a seat cushion into the frame. Ah well.

DaveReidUK
24th Aug 2017, 06:31
Absolutely Mr Reid.

I'd wait until door closing time and insist I be off loaded to maximise disruption while they off loaded my bags too.

Don't think it would take them too long to find me another seat.

I was thinking of waiting until they were disconnecting the towbar after pushback. :O

ZFT
24th Aug 2017, 07:48
I went into cynicism mode as soon as I got to this bit…….

If true, what the CC could have done, of course, was to upgrade someone with status in the FFP to Business Class then move the unhappy passenger to the vacant economy seat…..

Wasn't there a post many years back about a pax on an SAA flight who complained about the 'dark' skinned pax seated next to him and suggested being upgraded?

IIRC the hostess apparently walked up front, came back and upgraded the pax he was complaining about.

Nice story if true.

PJD1
24th Aug 2017, 07:55
How did the seat get stained then if it was a stunt to get an upgrade?

The Stewardess agreed it was pee and the airline has agreed it was pee - the simple fact is that they should have just changed the cushion.

Easy enough to take a small bottle on board with him and pour it on the seat himself. Maybe I'm being cynical but the fact that his words were "You're obviously going to move me into business, aren't you?" and not "You have to do something about this, I'm not sitting there" speaks volumes to me. It would also explain why it was not spotted by the cleaners or cabin inspection.

Hotel Tango
24th Aug 2017, 10:02
What did you do with the original cushion Squawk? ;)

DaveReidUK
24th Aug 2017, 13:18
Easy enough to take a small bottle on board with him and pour it on the seat himself.

Bear in mind, though, that unless you're planning to fill it after security, you would only be allowed to take the piss if it was under 100ml, and in a wee bottle ... :O

PJD1
24th Aug 2017, 16:18
Bear in mind, though, that unless you're planning to fill it after security, you woul only be allowed to take the piss if it
was under 100ml, and in a wee bottle ... :O

:D:D

Yes urine trouble if you try to take any more than that through security!

Squawk 6042
24th Aug 2017, 17:24
What did you do with the original cushion Squawk? ;)

Nothing to do with me, honest guv.

More telling was that at home base KLM were able to sort it out in about 15 minutes and as I was one of the first to board there was no resulting delay.

Impress to inflate
8th Sep 2017, 22:51
I strongly suspect that the PAX sabotaged the seat hoping for an up-grade.

A few years ago my wife and three young daughters flew from Sydney to LHR with BA in economy. Once onboard my wife noticed the seats they were sitting on were hot, the entertainment box below their seats we over heating and the crew were aware of the issue. She was happy to sit there but she just pointed it out to the crew. Before takeoff, they were all moved up to business for the entire flight home without any dramas.

The crews see EVERY trick in the book, day in, day out by some PAX to worm their way in to Premium Econ or Business.

feueraxt
17th Sep 2017, 10:24
Businessman who paid £1,200 to fly to South Africa with BA is given a seat that a passenger urinated on (and he was then told to use wet wipes to clean it up himself)

Businessman given seat urinated on during BA flight | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4806026/Businessman-given-seat-urinated-BA-flight.html)

A businessman who paid more than £1,200 to fly to South Africa with British Airways was given a seat that a previous passenger had urinated over.

And to add insult to injury, he claims that when he protested, a British Airways stewardess handed him wet wipes to clear up the mess himself.

IT consultant Andrew Wilkinson, 39, says it happened when he boarded a flight at the end of July to jet out from Heathrow to see his parents.

After finding his seat in economy, he noticed it was damp. Mr Wilkinson, from South-West London, said: 'I called the stewardess who agreed the dampness was urine. She went to the toilet and came back with some wipes and expected me to clean up the mess myself.

'I told her, "I can't sit here" but she just laughed. Her response was, "I can see you are going to work me really hard on this flight, aren't you?"'

Mr Wilkinson, who paid £1,242 for his round trip, said: 'In the end, I put a plastic bag over the seat and covered it with a blanket.'

After Mr Wilkinson took to Twitter to vent his anger, BA spotted his tweets and offered him 5,000 of their Avios reward points in compensation. It then upped its offer to a flight voucher worth £435, or a free upgrade on his next flight to Cape Town.

He said: 'I am not bothered about compensation. I'd just like a proper apology. The one they sent me was clearly a general response.'

Last night, the union which represents flight crews said Mr Wilkinson's ordeal was evidence of how BA standards had been hit by cost-cutting.

Also https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4282124/brit-businessman-south-africa-cape-town-ba-wee-urine-seat/

https://i.imgur.com/GbT65H3.jpg

ExXB
17th Sep 2017, 16:40
I think someone is taking the piss.