PDA

View Full Version : RAF Signals Museum - closing soon

ricardian
21st Aug 2017, 22:48
RAF Henlow is the home of the RAF Signals Museum. (http://www.rafsignalsmuseum.org.uk/)

Failed_Scopie
22nd Aug 2017, 06:35
Disappointing to hear; what are the realistic options to mitigate this? Move it to Lyneham alongside the REME Museum, ditto to Blandford with the R Signals Museum or merge it with Cosford? It would be a shame to lose the collection altogether... I'm going to be at Henlow for a couple of days towards the end of October. Perhaps the plan will be talked about by then?

Wander00
22nd Aug 2017, 12:44
Very sad if the museum and its contribution to history is lost. RAF Museum....the Museum at Wyton.... hope they find somewhere, and the Launch is not lost too

alemaobaiano
22nd Aug 2017, 17:52
Sad to see another unit from my past closing down. The museum exhibits were transferred from Locking when that closed, and now Henlow is closing down too. That takes care of my training unit and my first posting.

Hopefully the museum can find a new home, I know signals gear isn't very sexy to most folks, but some of us have an interest.

The Oberon
22nd Aug 2017, 19:00
All may not be as bad as it seems. Some months ago, an ex-Locking A/A mate was visiting the Henlow museum and he recognised some ex Locking items. He spoke to a staff member who mentioned the planned closure. He, and another ex-App. did a bit of digging and found out that the Helicopter Museum at Weston airfield were planning to expand into the old control tower with a new RAF Locking exhibit. In addition the developers of Locking Parklands were keen to get hold of some Locking memorabilia to display in the old R.C. church which is now a community centre. I do know that introductions were made with a view to getting some Locking relevant items transferred to both locations. I'll do some digging when I get home and see what happened.

Fluffy Bunny
22nd Aug 2017, 23:07
That takes care of my training unit and my first posting.

Same here. :(

bunta130
23rd Aug 2017, 07:20
Same here. :(

And me....

Apart from Cranwell, my first units were:

Swinderby
Church Fenton
Finningley
Lyneham

Blacksheep
23rd Aug 2017, 12:20
For me Changi went in '71 and I was one of the last to leave. Halton is soon to go. My other billets were Waddington, Brize Norton and Northolt so I'll probably leave the planet before they're all gone.