PDA

View Full Version : 407GXP v. H130

neptune2528
21st Aug 2017, 18:24
I am a comparatively low-hour pilot lucky enough to be in a position to expand my love for flying into full ownership. Eventually, I would like to own/operate a twin; probably an H135 or H145. However, all of my time to-date is R22 & R44. As such, it looks like I will be accumulating hours for a while in a single turbine before moving on up.

Since I think I would end up trending towards an Airbus twin, I started looking at Airbus singles and specifically into the H130. It seems to be a wonderful machine (hoping to go down for a demo flight in a couple weeks). However, the 407GXP has some advantages to the H130 (mainly cost, optional autopilot and more advanced avionics). The lady prefers the club seating of the 407GXP as well, so that too must be considered.

Overall, I like the redundancy of the FADEC and hydraulics of the H130 (and it seems like if I do go H135/145 it would be a plus to be within the Airbus product line from the start). However, I like the layout (to keep the other half happy), avionics, autopilot option and cost of the 407GXP...and it seems more important to have the turbine time anyway rather than OEM familiarity, particularly when the H130 doesn't even use the Airbus Helionix (yet?).

I would be interested in anybody's feedback one way or the other on the issue. Other than the items specified, it seems like they are two fairly comparable machines.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

ROTORVATION
22nd Aug 2017, 19:22
Hi there,

Hope you're well sir. I've been flying 21 years all UK onshore. I have some opinions on both manufacturers which may be of consideration.

Please feel free to Private Mail me your contact details and I'd be happy to give some modest and hopefully constructive opinions of both.

Kind regards

RV

havick
22nd Aug 2017, 19:35
Hi there,

Hope you're well sir. I've been flying 21 years all UK onshore. I have some opinions on both manufacturers which may be of consideration.

Please feel free to Private Mail me your contact details and I'd be happy to give some modest and hopefully constructive opinions of both.

Kind regards

RV

Why don't you post on here for all to benefit unless your trying to sell or broker an aircraft?

nomorehelosforme
23rd Aug 2017, 00:19
Havick,

You called that one!

Spunk
23rd Aug 2017, 06:51
I've never operated nor flown an EC 130 (only the EC120) but I'm more than happy in the 407 GXP.
It's a proven design with modern avionics and a reliable auto-pilot. It's not too hard to transition from R44 to 407.
The only negative aspect for a private operator I can think of is the 50h/300h/3month lubrication interval. So make sure you have a close by maintenance department.
The EC130 to me is an exotic aircraft and I just don't like Safran engines. With H+S based in England support for the C47B/8 shouldn't be a problem.

formerlongbox
23rd Aug 2017, 13:13
Are you in the UK?

212man
23rd Aug 2017, 14:34
With H+S based in England support for the C47B/8 shouldn't be a problem.

Not that convenient for Indianapolis though!

serf
23rd Aug 2017, 14:49
I am a comparatively low-hour pilot lucky enough to be in a position to expand my love for flying into full ownership. Eventually, I would like to own/operate a twin; probably an H135 or H145. However, all of my time to-date is R22 & R44. As such, it looks like I will be accumulating hours for a while in a single turbine before moving on up.

Since I think I would end up trending towards an Airbus twin, I started looking at Airbus singles and specifically into the H130. It seems to be a wonderful machine (hoping to go down for a demo flight in a couple weeks). However, the 407GXP has some advantages to the H130 (mainly cost, optional autopilot and more advanced avionics). The lady prefers the club seating of the 407GXP as well, so that too must be considered.

Overall, I like the redundancy of the FADEC and hydraulics of the H130 (and it seems like if I do go H135/145 it would be a plus to be within the Airbus product line from the start). However, I like the layout (to keep the other half happy), avionics, autopilot option and cost of the 407GXP...and it seems more important to have the turbine time anyway rather than OEM familiarity, particularly when the H130 doesn't even use the Airbus Helionix (yet?).

I would be interested in anybody's feedback one way or the other on the issue. Other than the items specified, it seems like they are two fairly comparable machines.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

UK based? If you get the 407 I'll come and sit next to you if it has duals....couple of thousand hours of experience.

helihub
23rd Aug 2017, 15:31
If you are comparing Bell 407GXP and Airbus H130, then you should also be comparing Leonardo AW119Kx, I would have thought?

John R81
23rd Aug 2017, 16:20
Try a series of weight & balance calcs for both. Of the two, that might sway you towards the 407

Spunk
23rd Aug 2017, 16:50
"Indianapolis" 🤔 I have no clue where I got the idea from that he's british. Must have been too much sun in the cockpit.

Maff
23rd Aug 2017, 21:53
Remember there is a big difference between an EC130 (B4) and an H130.

I've ran an H130 for nearly three years and it's been a fantastic ship. 7 people, full fuel and bags with massive reserves of power, mine with 4 on board full fuel sits comfortably at 125knts at 7.2 on the FLI.

Air con, dual hydraulics and full crash worthy front and back seats and fuel tank as standard, safety of the fenstron for pax.

I bought mine new and it included 3 years free maintenance and so far 2.6yrs in all I have paid for is fuel and insurance and now done 319 private hours on her.

Very stable in strong winds, no fenestron issues as some may tell you and it feels a solid bit of kit.

Looked at a 407 and it didn't feel as robust or 'right' as the H130.

ersa
23rd Aug 2017, 22:59
Why don't you post on here for all to benefit unless your trying to sell or broker an aircraft?

Havic, how many people on here are looking at buying a 130 or 407...sometimes i read your posts and they come across negative, unless your selling you E3 visa thing to australian helicopter pilots .