PDA

View Full Version : Central Scotland Training - Opinions & Insights Please!

RomeoTango89
20th Aug 2017, 13:53
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice please!

Firstly, I'm aware there is a similar post doing the rounds from a few years back so apologies for the repetition, just looking for a bit of fresh update.

So, after selling my soul in the corporate world of work in the Middle East, I'm going to be in a position to come home early 2018 to pursue my modular ATPL which has been the dream for a while.

I've narrowed it down to Tayside, or ACS in Perth. My plan is to study full time and intensively, with a view to becoming a FI, and hopefully (eventually) a right hand seat somewhere.

Whats everyones experiences of training at both? Facilities? Fleet? Staff? Employment prospects? ACS have a 'Fast-Track' Program advertised on their website at 50k, although Tayside don't have specific pricing on their website, I spoke to one of their instructors who reckoned their equivalent would cost around 60k. I don't know if he was basing this around minimum hours or training aircraft (ACS is a 152, Tayside a PA28) however any explanation for the 10k price differential would also be superb.

Lastly, I should mention I was working towards a PPL before I left for the ME, so I'm not a total novice. I wont mention where though as I'd like to keep this as impartial as I can!

Cheers guys.

HBZ737
23rd Aug 2017, 13:55
Prestwick? Cumbernauld? Glasgow?

I went down the PPL then integrated ATPL route in 2000-2001. Company went bump, I had to restart in a different career which led me back to aviation some 17 years later and up to Scotland to work in one of the two big aeronautical education institutes.

Now working in the industry and ironically instructing on a fixed base 737 to wannabes. By instructing I mean actually flying, not just cold and dark starts! Yes without any current licences or actual 737 experience. Although my first training stint was 737-300.

Anyway, I digress. Most of my students did all their real flying out of Prestwick. This was modular though.

I too want to get back at it, but only aiming to be a weekend FI, maybe not even CPL as the day job ticks all the career boxes. It's just the real flying I miss (not the cost).

I'll watch this thread with interest.

RomeoTango89
24th Aug 2017, 10:37
@HBZ737 - I'll be honest I hadn't considered Prestwick or Cumbernauld, mainly because family & significant other are East Coast based and I intend to stay nearby to wherever I'm training. Don't really fancy being more than an hours drive from Edinburgh. That said, I'll certainly look into it.

Glad to hear your job is still aviation related though! And more than happy from anyone who trained at Prestwick etc to add their 2cents.

paco
24th Aug 2017, 11:43
There's ground school at Prestwick, at least..... :)

gordonquinn
24th Aug 2017, 12:31
I've been looking over the same for myself, currently upgrading LAPL > PPL then going to do IR/R and Night, hour build for a bit then start the commercial training.

The hardest thing I'm finding is somewhere to do my ATPLs, I really don't fancy distance learning, the nearest classroom environment I've found is these guys (http://www.path2pilot.com/residential-courses).

After that I'll do CPL/ME/IR, I've been looking at Perth for that. They have been taken over recently by some really passionate people, hearing great things about them. As you've mentioned, they have the PATH programme, I'm not able to secure the finance for that currently so I'll be taking my modular route as described.

There is also the MCC and JOC which from what I hear are becoming more and more required by airlines for their entry level roles.

RomeoTango89
24th Aug 2017, 12:53
@gordonquinn

The hardest thing I'm finding is somewhere to do my ATPLs,

ACS appear to offer a residential classroom based ATPL environment, but I'm not sure if that's just for people on the PATH/Fast track. Maybe worth clarifying. I think Tayside only offer ground school brush up courses.

I'm leaning towards a full time classroom environment as well as I will definitely take more on board this way rather than self study distance learning.

I've also heard great things about ACS, but likewise Tayside seem to have a good rep, plus I hear a lot about their infamous tie up with LoganAir.

If any ACS/Tayside instructors see this and would like to weigh in I'd love to hear from you!

gordonquinn
25th Aug 2017, 08:07
I'm 99% sure the ACS classroom environment is the Path2Pilot peeps.

I've sent you a PM.