PDA

View Full Version : Was this a near miss?

tdubya
19th Aug 2017, 09:06
I was a passenger on LH952 this morning when I saw a small jet pass underneath us at around the point marked on the image. It was quite close within 100s of feet. I've tried to look at FR24 but I can only rewind the flight I was on. Is there a way of finding out?https://www.dropbox.com/s/keuegyfdjprgwib/File%2019-08-2017%2C%2010%2003%2028.png?dl=0

DaveReidUK
19th Aug 2017, 09:54
How do you know it wasn't a larger jet lower down than you think ?

Your flight would have been at about 9000' at that point, so plenty of room for traffic to pass safely below you.

If it really was a "near miss", check this website in a couple of months' time:

UK Airprox Board (https://www.airproxboard.org.uk/home/)

tdubya
19th Aug 2017, 10:30
It looked like an executive jet to me, which is why intuitively it felt close. Thank you for the link Dave, I'll take a look.

tdubya
19th Aug 2017, 10:37
That link looks very interesting Dave. Twin Squirrel v. Drone on 10th April sounds potentially horrendous.

ExXB
19th Aug 2017, 15:20
It was not a near miss. That would be a collision. (Yet another aviation term that makes no sense).

DaveReidUK
19th Aug 2017, 16:13
My dictionary defines a near miss as "a narrowly avoided collision or other accident.", which I'd guess is what most people understand by it.

On the other hand, if you nearly miss something ... :O

DIBO
19th Aug 2017, 17:02
Standard 1000ft minimum separation (give or take a few feet).
Somewhat smaller & about 20kts faster than your plane, but not a jet.

Hotel Tango
19th Aug 2017, 19:22
tdubya: In the grand scheme of things the minimum separation of 1000 feet is not a significant distance. In certain conditions it can look alarmingly close. I once remember being inbound to BHX via Daventry (DTY) on a Gulfstream 159 and watching a BA B747 (which was holding at DTY inbound to a busy LHR) in the turn just 1000 feet below. It looked very very close, but separation had not been compromised.

tdubya
20th Aug 2017, 08:12
Standard 1000ft minimum separation (give or take a few feet).
Somewhat smaller & about 20kts faster than your plane, but not a jet.

Cool thanks DIBO 😊 Was that done using the normal subscription FR24?

DIBO
20th Aug 2017, 10:34
Nope, you need the darkweb version for this...

Or as an alternative, free version of FR24, the mysteriuos world of copy&paste, and Paint will do the job ;)

SpringHeeledJack
20th Aug 2017, 11:22
Pre 911 I was jumpseating in a Lufthansa 737. Just north of London an A340 went diagonally over the top of us. I would have sworn that it was a few hundred feet. The captain showed me that it was, in fact +/-999ft away and therefore a legal separation distance.He said that even more disconcerting was when in a hold both aircraft banking, the distance seemed much shorter as the separation distance was calculated from centre of fuselage to fuselage and the wingtips were obviously closer.

I do remember flying on an AF 747 coming out of Paris Orly, first 10mins of the flight and I observed a FAF Transall coming into our port side, same height, getting closer and closer until both it and the 747 took avoiding action, he gently to the left, us gently to the right with a mile between us. No mention was made by the flight crew, most of the passengers seemed unaware. I assumed at the time that the Transall was under Mil control, coming out of the base near Paris (can't remember the name) and the flight plans hadn't been cross-checked with ATC. We should be thankful that the people who work n ATC are so good at their job, real life Tetris ;-) The London skies are crazy busy and that it all works so well is amazing (at least to me)

Blues&twos
20th Aug 2017, 18:26
Doing aeros and climbing vertically, seeing the underside of passenger jets flying across the nose was disconcerting at first. They really do look much closer than they actually are.