View Full Version : Hunters For RAF Flying Training

Dominator2
19th Aug 2017, 08:26
I have just heard the owner of Hawker Hunter Aviation on BBC Lincs state that the RAF will be using Hunters to bridge on of the gaps that the RAF has in it's present training programme.

Has anyone any more detail? I was lucky enough to do my AFTS on the Hunter in the early 70s, what a treat.

I'm sure if it is true the lucky few will have a great time. Not too sure how appropriate in an Air Force in the 2020s?

Martin the Martian
19th Aug 2017, 09:05
Hawker Hunter Aviation has already carried out contract work for Flag Officer Sea Training alongside the FAA's own Hawks and Cobham's Falcon 20s.

Why the Hunter? From HHA's own website:

HHA’s fleet consists of ten ex Swiss Air Force MK58 aircraft, and, whilst being an “old” platform, have a performance capability in excess of many more modern ground attack aircraft. Furthermore, they are equipped with Radar Warning Receivers (RWR), Chaff and Flare dispensers and are capable of carrying the latest ACMI and Electronic Warfare (EW) pods. Usually configured with up to four external fuel tanks and / or EW pods, these fuel loads permit between one and two-and-a-half hours on-station flying time. Maintained with the usual Swiss precision, the aircraft have very low flying hours, the fleet leader having reached approx only half its projected life.

HHA employ their own pilots, who are all ex-military FJ. They also have a Buccaneer and ex-German Su-22 and F-4F, which are not regularly flown but can be brought back into use if a contract requires it. Their aircraft are all military-registered.

The sort of tasks HHA carry out include threat simulation and equipment trials support, but not pilot training. Find out more here:

https://www.hunterteam.com/

Dominator2
19th Aug 2017, 10:07
Martin, I am well aware of HHAs history, pilots and aircraft.

My question is, are the RAF seriously planning to contact HHA to provide pilot training?

Since HHA are based at Scampton why not use them to replace the Reds aircraft. A nine ship of Hunters looping would take us back to the halcyon days of the RAF.

LOMCEVAK
19th Aug 2017, 11:05
Dominator2,

I did not hear the radio interview but I suspect that there may be a little misinterpretation here. 'RAF training' covers many fields, not just pilot training. RAF pilot training is now covered by MFTS and I know of no intention for further contracts outside of this. Even if there were, I am certain that HHA would not be bidding on them.

However, the one major future MoD contract that could well be of interest to HHA is ASDOT, and as MtM has said, they have already demonstrated their capability to deliver some of the ASDOT missions. In this context, the Hunter may be an old airframe but the F58s have a low life, relatively high performance and great potential for cockpit and avionic upgrades to support modern mission requirements, in particular with the capability to incorporate a suitable EW suite.

HHA have provided aircraft to ETPS for test pilot training also and that still remains a potential future tasking.

One of their aircraft was once the Patrouille Suisse leader's aircraft so, with respect to future formation teams, .....

Dominator2
19th Aug 2017, 11:34
Lomcevak,

Thanks for the reply. It does seem unlikely but these days it would appear that anything is possibly in the RAFs Training System. The whole things seems to be an ill conceived, money saving mish mash with no clear direction.

As to HHA, I hope that some of these potential tasks come to fruition.

Martin the Martian
19th Aug 2017, 15:11
If this is another pop at MFTS should it not be in that thread?

Trim Stab
19th Aug 2017, 16:34
I have just heard the owner of Hawker Hunter Aviation on BBC Lincs state that the RAF will be using Hunters to bridge on of the gaps that the RAF has in it's present training programme.

Has anyone any more detail? I was lucky enough to do my AFTS on the Hunter in the early 70s, what a treat.

I'm sure if it is true the lucky few will have a great time. Not too sure how appropriate in an Air Force in the 2020s?

I think you may have misinterpreted the interview. I heard the show as I was driving and I just assumed that they were proposing to use the Hunters for threat simulation training, and not for ab-initio pilot training stream. That's the impression that sticks in my mind.

Dominator2
19th Aug 2017, 16:40
Trim Stab,

Only heard about 1 minute of the interview so obviously gained the wrong impression. My judgement had been swayed due to only the other day hear about future plans for ME Training. As I said, these days one could believe anything you hear.

Anyway, If the Hawk T1s are past there sell by date maybe HHA would like to bid for a Reds replacement.

On a serious note, I do know that HHA are able to offer a credible threat simulator. The aircraft is very versatile and the company fully understands the requirement. Not something you can say about all companies vying for MOD business.

salad-dodger
19th Aug 2017, 17:08
Well it is a rumour site....

S-D

Starbucks Love Child
20th Aug 2017, 17:04
On a serious note, I do know that HHA are able to offer a credible threat simulator. The aircraft is very versatile and the company fully understands the requirement. Not something you can say about all companies vying for MOD business.

Now here was me thinking that the Contract Notice detailing the specific requirements had not been published yet? Personally i can think of at least a half-dozen companies that provide a similar coco service in North America and Europe.