PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Standards

The Outlaw
19th Aug 2017, 05:57
So, the latest diatribe from Al Costa Nostra claims we are "brand ambassadors", is this a different pay scale than that of pilot? While I think its a good idea to wear your hat and keep your shirt tucked in, it's hardly practical to saunter about in airports looking like Don Fanucci. I know I generally get through first and get to the aircraft ASAP and start setting up in case there are MEL'S or other issues. Waiting around for 26 cabin crew to get their act together...not so much.

So they want us to look like a prison chain gang because its supposed to "look good" somehow but then they give us sub standard quality shoes, wings, name badges and fake bags...you just can't make this stuff up!

Sounds like distant rants of TCAS.

PROPER METHOD OF ADDRESSING CREW (NOTE CORRECT PLACEMENT OF HAT):

https://gregfallisdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/don-fanucci.jpg

PROPER METHOD OF ACCEPTING SOCIAL GRACES FROM CREW:

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae188/sblume4800/DonFanucci2.jpg

CAPTAINS WILL BE EXPECTED TO LEVITATE OBJECTS WITH THE POWER OF THEIR MINDS:

http://www.naranjastorres.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Fanucci-Padrino-537x3001.png

Monarch Man
19th Aug 2017, 06:38
What does the OMA say?....oh that's right, it doesn't.

hairpin
19th Aug 2017, 11:22
Further to the latest directive regarding Ambassadors of the Brand, after careful study, a management team has released their directive to be implemented without delay. All captains are to collect their "Company Cord" from fleet on their next scheduled day off. This cord will be carried fully charged and up to date on all flights from here on in. Any time the crew is in transit, said cord will be used. It is marked at intervals of 97 centimetres. This represents the 9th floor from which this directive originated and the 7 Emirates. The captain will hold the leading end of the cord, in his left hand, the FO, on the first mark at 97 cm, with his fight hand, pursuer with left hand on next mark, and subsequent crew members, in descending rank of seniority. The cord will be held with a clenched fist, neither too tight nor too loose. Rings are not to be worn on clenched hand so as to not detract from the significance of the cord. This will ensure the crew walk in an appropriate spacing to portray to the public the brand ambassadors all crew are. Any deviations from this must be reported to SMNC immediately via the captain's mobile, (not in public view during said call). Offending crew members will be disciplined up to and including dismissal.

White Knight
19th Aug 2017, 11:50
Love it hairpin:}:ok:

Another oxygen thief somewhere in the Titanic has wasted several days salary to come up with this nonsense!

brakedwell
19th Aug 2017, 12:47
I think think the captain proudly holding a company umbrella high, followed by his clutch of chickens, chicks and chicklets would be even more effective.

Old King Coal
19th Aug 2017, 12:56
White Knight: Wrt 'oxygen thief' would that also be an 'oxymoron' ?!

In any event, in an endeavour not to be out done by the new uniform recently announced over at FZ, the Al Costa Nostra team have (and if you'll excuse the pun) decided to follow suit with a whole new look for EK pilots... it providing strong modern branding with sharp & practical look... here's an example of how EK pilots are now expected to comport themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXsyC872-aQ

TangoUniform
19th Aug 2017, 15:12
New SEP training for all crew members. Additional trading for captains and pursers to bring cabin crew and others to the aircraft.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2IUOPP3nuDM

White Knight
19th Aug 2017, 15:41
the Al Costa Nostra team

Pun pardoned. Gonna use that one again:ok:

Enos
19th Aug 2017, 15:41
I think someone has this in mind, note the music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Tzfi5iLwc

glofish
19th Aug 2017, 19:21
That's exactly what i like at airports:

Large families or large groups waiting for each other at neuralgic places and therefore blocking passage at baggage belts, after immigration and shortly after passing out the green channel.

Perfect to annoy all other passengers, perfect as ambassadors! We will look like a herd of silly Gnus.

Bravo to the useless Costa dwelling idiots:ugh:

Eau de Boeing
20th Aug 2017, 02:10
My understanding is that this all came about from a ninth floor idiot......

JAYTO
20th Aug 2017, 02:15
What's the problem.

Read it, ignore it. Move on with your life.
What are they going to do. Station people in all the airports to confirm you are following this stupid email.

J.

Saul Goode
20th Aug 2017, 03:04
I'm happy to leave brand promotion to those who really enjoy it like (former) Cpl. Maxwell Q.

harry the cod
20th Aug 2017, 08:39
Agree with JAYTO.

In any event, isn't this what we do anyway most of the time. Compared to many airlines, especially the US carriers, we're often far more cohesive as a team walking through those terminals rather than in dribs and drabs like many.

My bone of contention is immigration. If the Captain goes through first, there's little he can do to help his crew. At least going last you can herd the sheep into the pen and see which Arab with a French passport is going to be interrogated for an hour or more by JFK border control! And as Glo states, hanging around in a bunch of 25 for the GR2 to decide what Duty Free to buy ain't going to happen. :ugh:

Harry

nakbin330
20th Aug 2017, 09:40
We do this anyway.

Off the jet en masse and through Customs, etc and out to the bus.

Off the bus en masse and through Customs, etc. Meet at the gate at ETD -70 or whatever it is.

nolimitholdem
20th Aug 2017, 09:52
I'd just like to say I wish I'd thought of "Al Costa Nostra". :ok:

But please, don't tease us escapees - what exactly is this new uniform policy? I mean, I can read between the lines and infer it's something to do with having the crew move around as a group, but...why?

I hate it when a crew is getting off the bus, everyone in their own little bubble without an ounce of awareness or courtesy for the passengers struggling to go around/through them on the sidewalk. I know for us it's just going to work, but for the average public it hardly enhances the image of the self-absorbed pilot/flight attendant. Same thing when crew just cavalierly cut in front of the poor folk who've been waiting in line at security. Yes, we have a uniform and ID and need to get to work, but it doesn't cost anything to be slightly gracious about it, instead of looking like entitled snots.

And now they want to enshrine this in a rule? Sounds about right.

thatwasclose
20th Aug 2017, 12:26
Harry it says lead .
Does not mean go first .
Like Haig I like to lead from the back . Way back .

harry the cod
20th Aug 2017, 12:39
Monarch Man

As a point of clarification, there are many rules and regulations which we're required to adhere to not mentioned in the OMA, such as accommodation, pay, schooling, staff travel, etc. These are in the employee regulation manual, along with uniform standards, and are official Company guidelines. Whether you choose to follow them is up to you of course!

The 'OMA rule' only applies if there is a conflict of information between manuals. Then the OMA has precedence.

thatwasclose

True! Problem is, there may be a few little hitlers now intent on following this new edict with a less than judicious approach.

Harry

KingAir1978
20th Aug 2017, 15:57
Harry it says lead .
Does not mean go first .
Like Haig I like to lead from the back . Way back .

Reminds me of this scene:

/watch?v=ejc1wwRGjFk&feature=youtu.be&t=120

Monarch Man
20th Aug 2017, 20:25
Harry, my point entirely. As ever this is just another made up rule contrived from the rarified atmosphere of where the person who came up with it doesn't have any real idea of the real world implementation.
The are lots of "should(s)" and less "shall(s)" so plenty of wiggle room to use that missing component to much of how EK legislate daily life, Common Sense.

pfvspnf
20th Aug 2017, 21:57
So pedantic and childish !

We usually let everyone do what they want and set a safe time to meet at the gate , too bad you lot are being treated like children

Talparc
21st Aug 2017, 07:59
The whole company is a huge Kindergarden. So no wonder.

donpizmeov
21st Aug 2017, 08:35
It's getting serious now. All office dwellers have to meet up near Wafi at 0600hrs. Then attach EK decals to cars and form up in a single convoy in order of grade, date of joining and then car colour (red cars at the front obviously). The convoy will then make its way at 50kph to the designated car park. Cars will then be parked in order. On the parking of the most juniors members car, that member will sound a single horn beep, signalling all employees to turn off car Engine, count two beats and then open door, count another two beats then remove themselves from the car. At this point all employees are free to make their way to Costa and resume normal duties.

Craggenmore
21st Aug 2017, 09:35
With what is going on in Europe currently, the last thing I want to be in, is a big readily identifiable group in a public place.

It's actually impossible. I tried it for a laugh.

Some get stuck at security, some at passport, some in the loos and some elsewhere.

As someone already said, most of the time we are in a group large enough without effort.

Save your energy for OTP instead.

A lack of OTP harms the brand more than walking through an airport.

allaru
21st Aug 2017, 09:56
Looks like the male cabin crew have gotten started already!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Qhbdijv5Y

"At this point all employees are free to make their way to Costa and resume normal duties"

Bunch of guys in ill-fitting suits and cheap shoes square gaiting their way towards Costa more like.

TCU LUX
21st Aug 2017, 10:19
Come on Guys n Gals....do any of you actually really give a @#$% what these muppets say/write anymore :ugh:

The lunatics are running the asylum...:rolleyes:

alwayzinit
21st Aug 2017, 12:39
Now in my 40th year of aviation.
My rule is simple, I am the sheep dog, the CC are the sheep. Being at the back ensures they ( and increasingly senile me) don't get lost!!:eek:

Neektu
21st Aug 2017, 13:06
You people have a short memory: this nonsense was first uttered by the Weasel a few years ago. His heirs at the castle are just re-issuing it.
The flying public is far more impressed with the quality of the inflight service and, as someone mention above, with the on time departure and arrival. The rest is irrelevant.

The Outlaw
21st Aug 2017, 14:00
They call it "optics", I call it "economics".

I might have considered following their direction IF they had afforded us certain contractual courtesy's such as a simple pay rise, 85 hour rosters, maybe some bidding satisfaction in the top two bids.

Previous posters have said it, "read it, forget it, move on".

They'll get what they give, which in this case is a resounding "nothing".

jetjockey696
22nd Aug 2017, 12:32
Always walk at the back, besides sheep herding, :E90% of time has the best view:ok:

Saltaire
22nd Aug 2017, 14:14
Thought I might try this latest "standard" and give it a real honest what the heck. So as per usual, everyone follows the first person - unfortunately me. Most of the time, I can't remember or have the faintest where we are checking in etc. So the entire team, back tracks and we waste 5 min. I'm going back to the sheep dog option :ok: Enjoy the view and assess/action/manage. The real advertising "image" is the CC anyway, so why not let them lead the runway.

jetjockey696
22nd Aug 2017, 16:04
Is this what they trying to get crew to do when you walk through the airport...

http://www.pprune.org/members/58825-jetjockey696-albums-uniform-picture728-200.jpg

AND the lackey FO.. making himself useful... LOL.

http://www.pprune.org/members/58825-jetjockey696-albums-uniform-picture729-fo-pushing.jpg

fatbus
23rd Aug 2017, 03:04
The memo only says"should!"

sealear
23rd Aug 2017, 12:24
The memo only says"should!"

Exactly, it also says where practical. So what's the problem? Business as usual :confused:

glofish
26th Aug 2017, 05:35
Just considering the "example" effect:
Have a look at the dress up of our dear chairman on the latest safar title ..... ��

Neektu
26th Aug 2017, 09:10
[QUOTE=jetjockey696;9869645]

noun, plural lackˇeys.

a servile follower; toady.
a footman or liveried manservant.

Interesting manner of how to rank FOs

PositiveRate876
27th Aug 2017, 08:53
Obviously, the person who thought up this latest gem either:

-A. The biggest plane they flew was a 320 where grouping 5 crew was practical

-B Flew in the military where they are skilled at getting a squadron through a parade.

-C Has never flown an airplane and resides at Costa from 7-3 (except Thursdays.

Getting 30 people to march in unison is neither practical nor efficient. Many of the airports that we walk through are too small for such a parade. Many have curves and bends that don't allow the passengers to view the spectacle in full.

They're struggling to fill the weekly emails with something significant, so they have to make this stuff up.

Turbokite
6th Sep 2017, 17:55
[QUOTE=jetjockey696;9869645]

noun, plural lackˇeys.

a servile follower; toady.
a footman or liveried manservant.

Interesting manner of how to rank FOs

Noticed it too, so much for mutual respect amongst colleagues! :ugh:

luvly jubbly
6th Sep 2017, 23:06
Whooooooooshhhhhhh

The sound of sarcasm going straight over your head

brakedwell
7th Sep 2017, 09:35
A long convoy of crew carrying mobility buggies would turn a lot of heads, especially if the beeps were on ;)

harry the cod
7th Sep 2017, 10:16
Don't a large number of US long haul cabin crew adopt that idea already? Although mostly out of necessity than for any PR reason.

Harry

Reverserbucket
7th Sep 2017, 10:59
Maybe EK could follow the lead of some EU operators; I saw a VS SFO earlier this week walking through LHR wearing jacket and hat but no tie and open neck towing his wheelie bag and last week at LGW a U2 FO, top couple of buttons undone, loosely hanging tie, jacket slung over his shoulder and not only chewing gum but blowing bubbles. Both in the terminals and surrounded by the public.

I'm only jealous though, as I've never been good at walking and chewing gum at the same time, let alone blowing bubbles :(

brakedwell
7th Sep 2017, 11:03
I'm only jealous though, as I've never been good at walking and chewing gum at the same time, let alone blowing bubbles :(

You are probably too old :cool:

GMC1500
7th Sep 2017, 15:53
Jetjockey had the best post.

Nedul
9th Sep 2017, 16:09
These guys / girls obviously think they look cool but whether we like it or not we are in a profession where the first impression counts, but more so how you look reflects your attitude!!

Should we at EK walk around in an herd at the airport, no!
Should we turn up to work looking as smart as possible*, yes!
(* there are some people who are naturally untidy however thats no excuse for not trying!)
Should EK have better things to do rather than sending out stupid instructions like this, yes!
SS That is absolute BS.....
It's exactly this kind of holier than thou bigoted attitude that makes it painful to share a flight deck or even a crew bus for that matter, with people who think they're better than everyone else because they can do a button up.......
It's a high likelyhood that these 'lackeys' are probably streaks ahead as operators and most definately socially, which is a huge part of working as a crew. Something severely lacking in this part of the world.
The number of people with outdated, 60's esque attitudes towards millennial aviation is quite frightening and pretty much sums up what a miserable place this is to ply one's trade......
I'm so over it........

Praise Jebus
9th Sep 2017, 16:12
Millennial Aviation....? OMG..

Nedul
9th Sep 2017, 16:53
Millennial Aviation....? OMG..
Yes Jebus.....
That's aviation in the 21st century.......
And also the reason why you don't get paid a rock star salary.....
Although I suspect you along with many others believe you're worth twice what you're currently being paid.
It's not as complicated as it was in the last century you know!

Old King Coal
9th Sep 2017, 16:57
Nedul wrt: 'are probably streaks ahead as operators'... that is indeed the operative word, i.e. 'operators', but not pilots. They're probably very good as children of the magenta line, in a fully automated scrogg's wonder jet, but not much good if you loose the automatics (or, gawd forbid, turn off the automatics, assuming you're even allowed to in your airline?!) and / or if you take them out of a fully ATC controlled environment. And, yes, I've flown with plenty of (as you put it) 'millennial aviators', so I do speak from experience; many of them are not much better than procedurally driven monkeys, imho.

Trader
9th Sep 2017, 17:09
Nedul--fact is that the job requires a uniform and a uniform that is worn properly. If you can't follow that, rather basic, requirement then your ability to follow other requirements is suspect.

I don't care if you are 21 or 61, the image you portray to the traveling public is important which is why airlines push as hard as they do regarding their uniform standard.

Finally, if the employer requires it, whether you like it or not, you WILL wear the uniform as stated. If not you won't have a job.

If it is, in fact, a millennial issue then they will learn soon enough - the hard way. But I don't think it is actually a millennial issue. Rather it is an issue with a few fools who think they can make their own rules. An issue with 20-somethings for generations and not specific to this generation.

fliion
9th Sep 2017, 17:13
Yes Jebus.....
That's aviation in the 21st century.......
And also the reason why you don't get paid a rock star salary.....
Although I suspect you along with many others believe you're worth twice what you're currently being paid.
It's not as complicated as it was in the last century you know!

You sound frustrated grasshopper

Snapchat crashed?

BobDole
9th Sep 2017, 18:03
What is this snapchat you speak of.... :}

olster
9th Sep 2017, 18:52
millenial aviator...hilarious. I presume that is one that can't fly a plane...I have noticed that the 'millennial aviator' engages the autopilot @ 1,000 feet airborne and disconnects @ 1,000 feet prior to landing. Way to go. Completely concur okc.

eternity
10th Sep 2017, 00:08
Olster,

I'm a 'millennial aviator' and I regularly hand fly up to to 10,000 (as required by company regs), or until the SID has me flying a boring straight line after some turns.

I don't do this to impress the likes of you...I spent years flying busted arse pistons in the bush, to upgrade to ancient turboprops, to finally getting a crack on a 25 year old jet, to moving to baby bus' and then finally the tractor here in the desert.
I fly up to 10,000 (just below it actually), not to impress wankers like you, but to remind myself that I used to be a pilot and to show myself, that given the situation....I could be a pilot again.

Eternity.

On a side note....it's not 10,000 every time.
Sometimes ATC last minute airborne changes, wx etc dictates that it's better to get to autopilot on sooner rather than later to focus more on airspace, wx or profile management.

But failing that, it's handflying for as long as is appropriate, and most certainly not to impress a tosser like Olster....

fliion
10th Sep 2017, 05:54
Olster,

I'm a 'millennial aviator' and I regularly hand fly up to to 10,000 (as required by company regs), or until the SID has me flying a boring straight line after some turns.

I don't do this to impress the likes of you...I spent years flying busted arse pistons in the bush, to upgrade to ancient turboprops, to finally getting a crack on a 25 year old jet, to moving to baby bus' and then finally the tractor here in the desert.
I fly up to 10,000 (just below it actually), not to impress wankers like you, but to remind myself that I used to be a pilot and to show myself, that given the situation....I could be a pilot again.

Eternity.

On a side note....it's not 10,000 every time.
Sometimes ATC last minute airborne changes, wx etc dictates that it's better to get to autopilot on sooner rather than later to focus more on airspace, wx or profile management.

But failing that, it's handflying for as long as is appropriate, and most certainly not to impress a tosser like Olster....

Hand flying - is doing it from 10,000 until touch down not the other way around.

olster
10th Sep 2017, 06:22
It would appear that the ' millennial aviator characteristic is to use offensive language while hiding behind a keyboard. Very brave. Very impressed by your hand flying to 10,000 feet. You condemn yourself with your language on a public forum.

Old King Coal
10th Sep 2017, 07:37
Imho, 'hand flying' is doing it from take-off to landing with everything turned off (no A/P, no A/T, no F/D) and not f'ing any of it up. I did exactly that very recently, i.e. nothing, zero, zilch working for several days and many sectors (a long story behind it, but let's just say that 'we had to go', and so go we did, many times). Basically, my Boeing turned itself into a Seneca powered by gas turbine engines and rather more seats; and you'd be amazed how little you need working but it'll still fly quite nicely (if you've got the skill?!). One day I'll write the book. ;)

olster
10th Sep 2017, 11:23
Eternity: either delete your post or repost without the profanity. Moderators: is it ok to use profane language on a public forum? You don't know me so why you think it is ok to swear behind your keyboard in a cowardly manner I don't know. From your profile you were 'turning down ' a Cathay S/O position in 2011 so your experience is probably not as vast as you think. Fwiw I was a Cathay captain (yes, big deal I know) in 1988 and I never spoke to a colleague like that and I doubt whether you would either if face to face. I thought you millennial aces were big on soft skills compared to us dinosaurs? A big over reaction to a semi humorous post.

Back to the thread: if a company expects the uniform to be worn in their way it is probably best to comply. Never a big fan of hats but grudgingly wore it!

Cheers