PDA

View Full Version : Lufthansa Taxes Refund

alserire
18th Aug 2017, 11:58
Has anyone tried to claim taxes back from LH?

Had to cancel a trip last Friday for medical reasons. Trying to claim on travel insurance. Cancelled flight but there's no info on what's refundable. Rang them. Might as well not have bothered. Guy told me some taxes are refundable. Could not tell me which ones. Referred me back to the email I got when I cancelled. Nothing there. When I asked when the refund would be processed he wouldn't tell me that either.

Surely tax refunds when you cancel a flight should be automatic? And speedy?

Hotel Tango
18th Aug 2017, 14:13
The last time I cancelled with LH (but it was about 4 years ago) the taxes were refunded to me automatically. It did take a week or two though, if I remember correctly that is. More recently I had to cancel a Eurowings flight. In this instance my taxes were reimbursed only after I e-mailed them.

alserire
18th Aug 2017, 15:46
Thanks

Waiting to file the claim with insurance but can't do it till I see what LH refund me. I know the fare is gone but service operative suggested some of the taxes and charges were gone too. He just couldn't tell me which ones.

I've been very lucky. I'm not far off 50, travel a lot and this is the first time I've had to hit up the insurance.

Hotel Tango
18th Aug 2017, 16:35
My recollection was that all taxes were refunded (I could be wrong) but there was an administrative charge deducted.

ExXB
18th Aug 2017, 17:14
But you do have to ask. Automatic just isn't going to happen.

Hotel Tango
18th Aug 2017, 17:25
I remember now that when I cancelled with LH (in 2014 mind) I did it on line. My cancellation was acknowledged by e-mail together with notification that subject to this, that and the other, taxes would be refunded accordingly. Of course this may have changed now.

BEagle
23rd Aug 2017, 09:16
I recently had to cancel a flight with LH. I'd paid for the flight partly with Miles and More points and partly by credit card.

The Ts&Cs of the booking meant that only the tax element could be reclaimed. I cancelled on-line and received a refund of Miles and More points very quickly - the credit card refund took a little longer.

The refund was in the same ratio of points:cash as I'd paid for the booking. So if, for example, your booking is 60% with Miles and More points and 40% by credit card, the refund will be in the same ration.

Reasonably quick and efficient - much simpler than the old process of having to visit the LH desk at Paddington station, of all places!

alserire
23rd Aug 2017, 14:20
Got taxes back this morning. But it took a phone call and a follow up email. Not madly impressed. Not sure why this can't be done as a matter of course. Cancelled hotel as part of same trip (was within cancellation period) and they refunded on the same day!

Anyway, thanks for the replies.