PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Degree (Australian) Recognition

CityWok
18th Aug 2017, 02:02
Hey Guys,

I've been having a hard time trying to find the answer; would appreciate anyone who has personal experience or any insight into this.

I have an Australian Bachelors degree (3 years) and moved to the USA a while back. I'm currently at the regional airline level but in my application to the other carriers, I'm wondering if my degree is sufficient for their requirements.

Most applications ask for 4 year degrees and I currently only hold a 3 year degree. I've always assumed due to Australia's education standards that this would at least be equivalent to the USA's standard but I recently just got a NACES report done and was only equivalent to 90 semester hours of credit. I believe the USA is 120.

Has anyone had any issues with employment as such? or had to further their education to meet USA standards? or is an Aussie degree sufficient?

Thanks for your help.

fuelsurvey
18th Aug 2017, 22:45
You could probably finish the last bit pretty quickly if you decide to go that route. Check out a school like TESU. Have a look at degreeforum.net and get some advice there. With your current degree and credit for your pilots license you may only need a course or two to check the 4 year box.

pilotchute
19th Aug 2017, 12:16
NACES is spot on. Full course load per week in Oz is 30 hours. One credit for 3 hours equals 30 per year. That's what the USA use to calculate credit.

The reason the USA has 4 year degrees is because everyone does a "common" first year. This is just really for the College to make extra cash on classes you don't need to take.

Kenny
20th Aug 2017, 00:35
This is a bit of a can of worms...

I don't think there's much difference between an Aussie degree and a U.K. degree; my 3 year Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of London was accredited as being the equivalent of a 4 years US Bachelors degree.

The problem though, is that most companies use some sort of computerized sorting of initial apps. You could tick the "I've got a 4 year degree" box, which you do, sort of and then have to explain it an interview or you don't tick that box and never get called.

CityWok
20th Aug 2017, 02:42
This is a bit of a can of worms...

I don't think there's much difference between an Aussie degree and a U.K. degree; my 3 year Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of London was accredited as being the equivalent of a 4 years US Bachelors degree.

The problem though, is that most companies use some sort of computerized sorting of initial apps. You could tick the "I've got a 4 year degree" box, which you do, sort of and then have to explain it an interview or you don't tick that box and never get called.

Thanks for the insight and information guys.

I've almost resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to sign up for some online University course to merely fill up the credit requirements.

Kenny, I'm very interested in your situation. You mind letting me know which NACES member you chose to have it accredited? I noticed the accreditation service was merely of advisory in nature; if it needs be, I'm willing to try another member of the NACES. The UK and Aussie education system are very similar so I don't see why it's not in the same boat.

Thanks again.

peekay4
20th Aug 2017, 05:23
I think an Aussie degree is more similar to a Canadian Bachelors degree, in that you typically don't get Honours designation unless you take the additional (4th) year.

This is different from a 3-year UK Bachelor's (Hons) degree.

Kenny
21st Aug 2017, 12:59
Kenny, I'm very interested in your situation. You mind letting me know which NACES member you chose to have it accredited? I noticed the accreditation service was merely of advisory in nature; if it needs be, I'm willing to try another member of the NACES. The UK and Aussie education system are very similar so I don't see why it's not in the same boat.

Thanks again.

It was for Delta. They make a huge deal about GPA's, so when I tried to explain that I didn't have one, their heads exploded.

The company they use is Josef Silny & Associates in Miami. You can get the paperwork turned around in a week but it wasn't particularly cheap.

Peekay's explaination might explain the difference in how they accredit U.K. and Aussie degrees.

Good luck.

bafanguy
21st Aug 2017, 20:13
It was for Delta.

So, did you get hired ?

Kenny
22nd Aug 2017, 00:47
So, did you get hired ?

Nope and to be honest the whole thing left a bit of a bad taste. They asked me to clarify a few things on my app, which I did and then asked me to jump through the accreditation hoops. Thinking that that would be one of the last steps before being asked to interview (I mean, why would you ask someone to do this, if you weren't seriously considering them), I spent what was not a small amount of money to get it done and done quickly.

Turns out, they obviously think a B(Eng)Hons degree in Mech Eng from London University is cr@p as they never contacted me again.

I ended up going to UAL.

Far Canel
22nd Aug 2017, 01:17
Talking of degrees. I have 3 a year bachelor of science(civil Aviation) and first year of a physics degree. Can I use those credits to reduce RATP requirement to say 1250 or 1000. I think the FAA only recognise USA Aviation degree programs.
Would love come over at work at the regionals.
Thanks in advance

bafanguy
22nd Aug 2017, 08:42
Nope and to be honest the whole thing left a bit of a bad taste. They asked me to clarify a few things on my app......they never contacted me again. I ended up going to UAL.

Kenny,

Your frustration is understandable but you landed on your feet !! Well done.

DL is cutting back their monthly interview rate so far this year to 60% of what it was for 2016...and hiring a smaller percentage of those they do interview. No explanation given.

havick
22nd Aug 2017, 11:36
Talking of degrees. I have 3 a year bachelor of science(civil Aviation) and first year of a physics degree. Can I use those credits to reduce RATP requirement to say 1250 or 1000. I think the FAA only recognise USA Aviation degree programs.
Would love come over at work at the regionals.
Thanks in advance

No, the degree has to be through an FAA approved program.

CityWok
22nd Aug 2017, 17:26
Thanks for the informative responses. I'm planning to get my results re-assessed by the recommended NACES member and see if they differ. At worst case, I'll be grabbing the pencil case and back pack and waiting by the bus stop. Cheers again guys.

CityWok
25th Aug 2017, 03:59
Just an update. An advice for future Aussies making the move out here and with their 3-year Australian degrees. I've been in touch with another Australian who used another NACES member (Recommended by one major) and yielded the same results. It seems as if only a Masters or Honours would suffice as equivalent to the USA standard 4-year Bachelor. Good luck guys.

Alex3008
27th Aug 2017, 11:16
Just an update. An advice for future Aussies making the move out here and with their 3-year Australian degrees. I've been in touch with another Australian who used another NACES member (Recommended by one major) and yielded the same results. It seems as if only a Masters or Honours would suffice as equivalent to the USA standard 4-year Bachelor. Good luck guys.

G'day Mate! So you reckon i got a chance as i do have a Masters and Bachelor degree all in Business and not Aviation studies? Also which R-ATP minimums do i qualify for? 1k or 1250k hrs and can one secure E3 visa with R-ATP? Thanks heaps mate!

bafanguy
27th Aug 2017, 13:04
Also which R-ATP minimums do i qualify for? 1k or 1250k hrs...

Alex,

That depends. I'm far from an expert on the subject but did you train in the USA ? If so, check here:

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/atp/media/Institutional_Authority_List.pdf

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/atp/

If you didn't train at an authorized institution, I'm pretty sure you'd need 1500 hours plus whatever the hours breakdown is.

Someone who knows what he's talking about will come along shortly and properly answer your question. Good luck.

havick
27th Aug 2017, 17:00
G'day Mate! So you reckon i got a chance as i do have a Masters and Bachelor degree all in Business and not Aviation studies? Also which R-ATP minimums do i qualify for? 1k or 1250k hrs and can one secure E3 visa with R-ATP? Thanks heaps mate!

You don't qualify for any of the R-ATP mins.

Alex3008
27th Aug 2017, 23:37
You don't qualify for any of the R-ATP mins.

Thanks mate for responding back. Care to share why i do not qualify even if i get all my Pilot qualifications & training under FAA?

bafanguy - Cheers mate for your reply back too.

lee_apromise
28th Aug 2017, 00:13
Thanks mate for responding back. Care to share why i do not qualify even if i get all my Pilot qualifications & training under FAA?

bafanguy - Cheers mate for your reply back too.

Because R-ATP are offered only though certain approved institutions such as universities in U.S. Ordinary Part 61/Part 141 schools don't qualify.

Alex3008
28th Aug 2017, 00:44
Because R-ATP are offered only though certain approved institutions such as universities in U.S. Ordinary Part 61/Part 141 schools don't qualify.

Gotcha! Makes sense now. Thanks mate.

havick
28th Aug 2017, 02:10
Gotcha! Makes sense now. Thanks mate.

If you read the regs it directs you to which courses/institutions that allow a person to utilize the R-ATP mins if you compete their course in full.

Once you get your license you will then need to build hours. Even if you were to complete a qualification through an approved course that allows the R-ATP, then at that point you won't qualify for an E3 and I don't believe any of those institutions offer a visa that allow foreigners to work in the US in order to build up hours. So you're kinda snookered unless you already qualify for an E3 visa using only your aviation quals as per the E3 requirements.

Alex3008
2nd Sep 2017, 02:11
If you read the regs it directs you to which courses/institutions that allow a person to utilize the R-ATP mins if you compete their course in full.

Once you get your license you will then need to build hours. Even if you were to complete a qualification through an approved course that allows the R-ATP, then at that point you won't qualify for an E3 and I don't believe any of those institutions offer a visa that allow foreigners to work in the US in order to build up hours. So you're kinda snookered unless you already qualify for an E3 visa using only your aviation quals as per the E3 requirements.

Much appreciate it Havick. Currently looking at Studying Master of Aviation (Human Factors) off campus with one of the local uni's. Hope in 1.5 yrs it will help with jobs prospects globally.