PDA

View Full Version : Sea King in Royal Navy Flypast

Max Skylon
17th Aug 2017, 16:46
While watching coverage of HMS Queen Elizabeth at Portsmouth on television yesterday morning, I was delighted to see that the RN flypast included a Westland Sea King (Mk.7 ?).

Having been retired I would be interested to know anything about this aircraft. For instance :

Has this a/c has been kept servicable under a care and maintenance package or has it been a 'flyer' since retirement ?

Where is it based ?

What is planned for it's future ?

Any information would be appreciated.........................thanks.

Seaking93
17th Aug 2017, 17:08
It's actually still in service with 849NAS based at RNAS Culdrose, due to be replaced in due course by the Crowsnest equipped Merlin HM 2

pants on fire...
17th Aug 2017, 17:12
Has anyone ever seen one of these upgraded RAF Pumas anywhere?

Max Skylon
17th Aug 2017, 17:31
It's actually still in service with 849NAS based at RNAS Culdrose, due to be replaced in due course by the Crowsnest equipped Merlin HM 2

Thanks Seaking93. Nice to see they are still needed !

17th Aug 2017, 17:39
Has anyone ever seen one of these upgraded RAF Pumas anywhere?RAF Benson but I don't think their serviceability is anything to write home about.

Fareastdriver
17th Aug 2017, 19:02
RAF Benson but I don't think their serviceability is anything to write home about.

It's amazing to think that a twin Makila engined Puma can sit in The Helicopter Museum having knocked up 42,000 hours in 33 years.

Don't go on about offshore life is a piece of cake. I've done both and believe me an offshore helicopter gets the same, if not worse, treatment as a military one.

Not the present ones, though. They just drive around with the FMS looking after them. When it gets difficult, they cancel.

HambleTinBasher
17th Aug 2017, 20:34
I was a bit surprised - I took a pic to make sure the eyes were working :D

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4336/36607390175_87260cd7d2_o.jpg