PDA

View Full Version : Japan CH-101 crash

Cyclic Hotline
17th Aug 2017, 15:43
Crashed helicopter of the Maritime self-defense force of Japan - micetimes.asia (http://micetimes.asia/crashed-helicopter-of-the-maritime-self-defense-force-of-japan/)

Flying Bull
17th Aug 2017, 17:37
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20170817/k10011102391000.html

Video footage (distance)

500 Fan
17th Aug 2017, 19:08
It is hard to tell from the video but there appears to be something like a white flash (flames from one of the engines?) emanating from the helicopter as it approaches the base.

Looks potentially repairable too.

500 Fan.

Fareastdriver
17th Aug 2017, 19:10
It looks like something seriously went wrong when he picked up an underslung load because he wasn't carrying anything on the approach.

gulliBell
18th Aug 2017, 00:39
..Looks potentially repairable too.

Seriously? That was a sudden stoppage of monumental proportions...I reckon what remains of it is destined for the coke can factory.

gulliBell
18th Aug 2017, 00:44
...there appears to be something like a white flash (flames from one of the engines?) emanating from the helicopter as it approaches the base.

My guess, sun reflecting off the windshield.

Something seriously must have gone wrong. Jobs hardly get any easier than belly hooking from a great big slab of wide open concrete, especially when you have 3 engines.

500 Fan
18th Aug 2017, 08:52
Seriously? That was a sudden stoppage of monumental proportions...I reckon what remains of it is destined for the coke can factory.

If the cabin is straight and the transmission hasn't distorted the airframe as the rotor system clawed away at the ground, it potentially could be rebuilt. Stick it in the jig and see if it is straight or not. :ok:

500 Fan.

gulliBell
18th Aug 2017, 09:00
Cat 5 it and buy a new one I reckon. Too much power and inertia coming to the mother of all sudden stops not to have bent something. As a bare minimum it will need a whole new power-train. What is interesting is why it pranged, not whether it can be un-bent.

18th Aug 2017, 10:55
Don't forget that a significant amount of the EH101 is composite materials which don't handle impact damage well.

I suspect that cat 5 is more likely since you can't just bend that stuff back into shape and carry on.

collectivethrust
18th Aug 2017, 11:12
Not necessarily CAT5, don't forget it is modular so may well be suitable for rebuild. The Merlin at El Centro is flying today after similar roll over. But yes interesting what happened before thinking re-build

JohnDixson
18th Aug 2017, 11:56
Re the video:

In one picture there is a good shot of the sling load on the ground with the sling attached to the hook, and there is another line from the load heading off toward the left main gear ( cannot tell if it actually goes that far ).

In another picture of the aftermath, that second line is missing.

Comment?

18th Aug 2017, 12:17
I would think that the shock loading in itself will have been enough to substantially damage the transmission decking and everything it is attached to without considering the other damage from the rollover.

gulliBell
18th Aug 2017, 12:27
Don't forget that a significant amount of the EH101 is composite materials which don't handle impact damage well....

OK. So I was wrong about its future role as coke cans.

What is remarkable to me - generally speaking - if a military grade helicopter such as this is so damage intolerant doesn't really auger well for being deployed in combat operations. Certainly for land-based operations. Imagine if the old Huey couldn't be patched up in an hour or so and sent back out there amongst it :}

chopjock
18th Aug 2017, 12:28
Re the video:

In one picture there is a good shot of the sling load on the ground with the sling attached to the hook, and there is another line from the load heading off toward the left main gear ( cannot tell if it actually goes that far ).

Comment?

Just a shadow...

gulliBell
18th Aug 2017, 12:37
Re the video:

Comment?

That's only the shadow cast on the ground of the line attached to the hook. You never attach more than one ring on the hook. If you need to carry multiple loads they get connected to a strop which is connected to the hook by one properly sized ring.

I see nothing remarkable in that video, other than all the bits and pieces of helicopter scattered in every which direction from which they were previously properly attached.

gulliBell
18th Aug 2017, 12:40
Just a shadow...

Oops. Beat me to it. I'm slowing down in retirement :ok:

JohnDixson
18th Aug 2017, 12:45
You are correct, Gulli. just relooked at T=1:48, and it is a shadow, no doubt.

dClbydalpha
18th Aug 2017, 12:46
Both a Mk3 and a -512 have been repaired with similar looking damage. Of course stripdown inspection and measurements in the jig would reveal if it is a possibility. Having said that why repair if you are thinking of ordering more, just add another one as necessary?

The news video shows a number of fresh scrape marks on the pad. One looks like the load was dragged, there are marks made by the main and tail rotor blades, There are more marks that start at the edge of the pad that interest me, do they match the undercarriage?

gulliBell
18th Aug 2017, 13:12
..There are more marks that start at the edge of the pad that interest me, do they match the undercarriage?

I put those down to the fork-lift driver trying to spin a few donuts whilst the boys were out on the job. The only thing I see in all those scrape marks is the helicopter ended up pretty much where it rolled over in the first place. Another possibility, maybe the load was lifted off a vehicle and it got snagged up and some unfortunate pio's rolled them over, with the truck driver departing the scene shortly after all that excitement. Dunno. A total mystery to me. Assuming no major technical malfunction, that job should have been easy for a one-eyed pilot on an arse-about mirror to pick up that load. I'm guessing there were 2 pilots and a load-master with his head out the door, so that job should be dead easy even with eyes closed. Again, dunno.

dClbydalpha
18th Aug 2017, 14:01
I put those down to the fork-lift driver trying to spin a few donuts whilst the boys were out on the job.

I'm not sure we are looking at the same video? At just before 5s on "asahi.com" titled "MSDF helicopter crashes during training run at Iwakuni air base".

noooby
18th Aug 2017, 14:35
Don't forget that a significant amount of the EH101 is composite materials which don't handle impact damage well.

I suspect that cat 5 is more likely since you can't just bend that stuff back into shape and carry on.

While the cockpit is Kevlar, the cabin and tailboom are metal. So it should be repairable as long as it hasn't turned into a banana and bent too much.

18th Aug 2017, 16:19
There are more marks that start at the edge of the pad that interest me, do they match the undercarriage?They certainly seem to but would seem to indicate the aircraft's problems started with the wheels on the ground and pointing the other way from where they came to rest.

dClbydalpha
18th Aug 2017, 18:44
They certainly seem to but would seem to indicate the aircraft's problems started with the wheels on the ground and pointing the other way from where they came to rest.

That was my first thought.
I am trying to visualize the meaning of the gaps/changes in direction. Perhaps an attempt to lift/correct but then dragged by the USL still attached?

19th Aug 2017, 05:29
If they landed on to hook the load but forgot to re-engage the AP before lifting, it could surprise an unwary crew into believing they had a control problem - cue some panicked overcontrolling and lots of shouting and then it all goes horribly wrong.

Just a scenario I have seen before but without the crashing part:ok:

Fareastdriver
19th Aug 2017, 08:48
Tail Rotor drive failure?

There are multiple impact marks from the main rotor under drive but the tail rotor scrape is only 1/4 rev.

There is, however, the possibility that the main rotor held the fuselage off the ground as it rapidly reduced in size. Something I know from personal experience.

Self loading bear
19th Aug 2017, 15:50
While the cockpit is Kevlar, the cabin and tailboom are metal. So it should be repairable as long as it hasn't turned into a banana and bent too much.

I think Heli1 would love to get his hands on it and try a re-build for his museum!
Combine transport with the Wessex logger from NZ!

Cheers SLB

Ascend Charlie
20th Aug 2017, 07:31
Crassic case of RTE**

***Ross of Tair Lotor Effectiveness, arigato gozaimasu.

Fareastdriver
20th Aug 2017, 08:57
Or すべて日本語に翻訳 for short.