PDA

View Full Version : Libya flights

Dont worry
16th Aug 2017, 13:30
Hi.
What is your opinion on doing charter flights into Tripolis and Tobruk without staying overnight at the present situation?
Any doubts?
Any good sources for information?
Thank you

galaxy flyer
16th Aug 2017, 14:12
If you're FAA, illegal per SFAR. Otherwise, pretty crazy.

GF

Cambridge172
16th Aug 2017, 14:17
There's a few EU and UK operators that will do it - in/out, keep the engines running, don't stop, that kind of thing. Prepare to pay a whopper premium.

pilot1979
16th Aug 2017, 18:21
We are flying in and out on regular basis. Waiting time is according to our aircraft insurance. As long you stay at the airport and you are not planning an overnight it should be fine. I suggest a deal with a security company to have a plan B if thinks go wrong, like aog or airport closure.
Keep in mind on outbound flights, some airspace like Italy for example won't accept you for over flight!!

Red Nose
16th Aug 2017, 19:01
Been there, Tobruk and Labrak are ok.

Trim Stab
16th Aug 2017, 21:00
As per your handle, don't worry. If you've been chartered to fly into anywhere in Libya, you can guarantee that you have the support of the local power controlling militia - otherwise the flight would never be authorised.

There is a very small chance that you might be targeted by rival militia - but the airports are not usually in contested ground.

Ascoteer
17th Aug 2017, 10:18
As per your handle, don't worry. If you've been chartered to fly into anywhere in Libya, you can guarantee that you have the support of the local power controlling militia - otherwise the flight would never be authorised.

There is a very small chance that you might be targeted by rival militia - but the airports are not usually in contested ground.

And where are you getting this info from?

Ignore this guy; having been a few times in the last year I'd suggest that for Tripoli you need security and a trip-specific risk assessment, the geo-political and military landscape changes too quickly for a one size fits all answer.

Daifly
17th Aug 2017, 10:39
I'm of the firm belief that the UK DfT has placed restrictions on UK-registered aircraft going into Libya at the moment, however they won't tell you unless you ask. And the minute you ask they'll tell you you can't. Was the same with Iraq a few years ago.

However, finding the right person to talk to is the problem.

It's all just too much like "Yes, Minister" these days...

Trim Stab
17th Aug 2017, 23:14
And where are you getting this info from?

Ignore this guy; having been a few times in the last year I'd suggest that for Tripoli you need security and a trip-specific risk assessment, the geo-political and military landscape changes too quickly for a one size fits all answer.

And where are you going to get your "trip-specific risk assessment" from? The FCO or US State Department desk jockeys lol? Their advice is tailored to ground movements and is well sourced for that, but they have no idea at all about aviation movement or risk.

The one constant is that airports tend to be heavily prized and defended, and so are stable. They are not generally areas of random skirmishes. Flying in and out of places like Tripoli, Tobruk is not entirely without risk, but plenty of civvy chaps who need the money are doing it on a regular basis.

(I think Ascoteer may be a military chap - they have different risk assessments though as they have pensions and stuff like that to worry about!)

Globally Challenged
18th Aug 2017, 12:30
Control Risks are pretty good at aviation assessment - we get their stuff through our Medaire contract.

Ascoteer
18th Aug 2017, 13:22
And where are you going to get your "trip-specific risk assessment" from? The FCO or US State Department desk jockeys lol? Their advice is tailored to ground movements and is well sourced for that, but they have no idea at all about aviation movement or risk.

The one constant is that airports tend to be heavily prized and defended, and so are stable. They are not generally areas of random skirmishes. Flying in and out of places like Tripoli, Tobruk is not entirely without risk, but plenty of civvy chaps who need the money are doing it on a regular basis.

(I think Ascoteer may be a military chap - they have different risk assessments though as they have pensions and stuff like that to worry about!)

I'm not, and we also use our MedAire contract for those assessments and security.

Trim Stab
18th Aug 2017, 14:39
I'm not, and we also use our MedAire contract for those assessments and security.

Where do Medaire get their information from? Hadn't heard of them before, but having looked at their website they look like their client base is fairly high net worth individuals and companies - and thus inevitably very risk averse.

I don't come into that category! If I don't take on a contract then the job will go to somebody else and I don't get paid. Usually I get informal advice from Jetex who have other clients going in and out of all sorts of dodgy places around Africa.

Ascoteer
18th Aug 2017, 15:38
Where do Medaire get their information from? Hadn't heard of them before, but having looked at their website they look like their client base is fairly high net worth individuals and companies - and thus inevitably very risk averse.

I don't come into that category! If I don't take on a contract then the job will go to somebody else and I don't get paid. Usually I get informal advice from Jetex who have other clients going in and out of all sorts of dodgy places around Africa.

It's absolutely fine if you want to go in and out of those places on your own without due diligence, but I don't think you should recommend to other people that you can "assume it's fine".

I didn't say they were risk averse or told anyone to not go.

Trim Stab
18th Aug 2017, 16:54
It's absolutely fine if you want to go in and out of those places on your own without due diligence, but I don't think you should recommend to other people that you can "assume it's fine".

I didn't say they were risk averse or told anyone to not go.

I didn't say "assume it is fine". The OP asked for feedback from other pilots operating in the area and I gave mine. Others seem to concur. Many of us don't have the luxury of expensive risk assessment consultants and so have to rely on what we can trawl from the internet, word of mouth etc. You then rather rudely told people to "ignore this guy".

EladElap
19th Aug 2017, 11:52
I know that Medavia based out of Luqa, Malta operate in and out of Libya from Malta regularly. Perhaps contacting them may get you the info you require.