PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair call for 2 drink limit at airports

Startledgrapefruit
14th Aug 2017, 19:30
Ryanair calls for two-drink limit at airports - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40929225)

Yeah
Just wait and buy it all from us when you board................and a scratch card

qwertyuiop
14th Aug 2017, 19:47
So cynical, but accurate.

Station_Calling
14th Aug 2017, 19:49
...have done f**k all about the problems of alcohol and flying - in fact they are one of the worst culprits. Now there is a national TV programme and a bit of media frenzy, they publish this.

Cynical, headline grabbing ares-holes who have done nothing previously to try and stop this cancer of flying, but want to ride on the efforts of others.

Greek God
14th Aug 2017, 20:18
Ok
Have just watched the Panorama on Alcohol vs flying. So my question is why was is only Jet2 who was prepared to stand up and make an official appearance? Unsurprisingly there was no comment from any airport apart from some woman who was the head of some joint airport commitee. She glibly announcd that it was not the sale of booze that was the problem but more the irresponsible consumption?
Every pillock passing the buck and NOT ACKNOWLEDGING THE PROBLEM!!! Apart from Jet2. I know who is rapidly becoming my airline of choice!
My airline was aproached and saw fit to issue a notice to crew specifically instructing personnel not to allow filming or to comment despite a large increase in distruptive incidents over that last 12-18months.
Grrr rant over:\

PAXboy
14th Aug 2017, 20:46
All the points in this article will be familiar to us in this forum.

Ryanair calls for two-drink limit at airports - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40929225)

There are various airlines calling for changes at the airports.
Ryanair's Kenny Jacobs said: "This is an issue which the airports must now address."We are calling for significant changes to prohibit the sale of alcohol at airports, particularly with early morning flights and when flights are delayed."So, all they have to do is:

Change British social culture that has built up over the last 30 years.
Change the way airport owners charge for their services, in order to reduce costs on airport concessions, in order to reduce how much money they have to make to pay the airports ...
which means:
Changing govt policy that has built up over the last 30 years.

:rolleyes:

BEagle
14th Aug 2017, 21:25
Ryanair has had no qualms about diverting and throwing unruly passengers off the flight in the past - and good for them!

Although the LoCos have made it much easier for people to fly, they probably didn't realise quite what truly vile and unruly scum would be taking advantage of their low prices. But it is clearly the money-grabbing airport operators with their ridiculous Duty Free policies and open-all-hours bars who have exacerbated the situation.

This is made worse by the latest requirements to arrive at the airport some hours before flying. What else will the low life do after check-in apart from drinking themselves stupid?

Regrettably it will probably be the polite, well-behaved passengers who will suffer thanks to the antics of the drunken yobs (of both sexes) on their way to stag/hen party weekends or holiday destinations...

Good to see Jet2 taking action though - but all other airlines should follow their lead.

Hotel Tango
14th Aug 2017, 23:05
:ok: Yep, spot on there Beagle

PAXboy
15th Aug 2017, 00:57
It's all about money. Currently, the govt has overstretched itself (to breaking point) because of the EU fandango - and nothing will change about this so this is just going to get worse.

DaveReidUK
15th Aug 2017, 06:33
Call me a cynic - it's something Ryanair knows isn't going to happen, but nevertheless allows it to take the moral high ground without acknowledging that they are part of the problem.

A typical RYR press release, in other words ...

englishkev
15th Aug 2017, 07:02
Dave
Just thinking the same thing myself. The press release has O'Leary and free advertising written all over it.

KelvinD
15th Aug 2017, 07:30
I watched only a couple of brief snatches but one thing I picked up on was a lady describing how a crowd was getting lubricated before a flight. The carrier announced ahead of departure that the flight would be dry, at which point a "pop-up" bar appeared adjacent to the gate. The "dry" flight departed and bar service was commenced on this "dry" flight! And I am sure the airline concerned was Ryanair.

Laarbruch72
15th Aug 2017, 09:49
Good to see Jet2 taking action though - but all other airlines should follow their lead.

If you were involved in the work that goes on to try and address this issue, you'd know that other airlines are just as heavily involved and proactive, they just don't necessarily choose to be as publicly vocal - and I do give Jet2 credit for being as high profile as they are by the way; It's a subject close to the heart of Jet2's MD and this is the way he wants to show his colours, but there's masses of work going on across UK aviation, coordinated through Airlines UK (formerly BATA), and I can assure you that pretty much all of the UK airlines are working together. Please don't confuse lack of press inches covering a carrier with inaction on their part.

Hotel Tango
15th Aug 2017, 18:21
Ryanair call for 2 drink limit at airports

Sure they do. Means more $$$$$ of on board sales on their flights!!! :rolleyes:

S.o.S.
15th Aug 2017, 18:21
Thank you Laarbruch72, that is very encouraging.

Harry Wayfarers
15th Aug 2017, 19:12
I can assure you that pretty much all of the UK airlines are working together. Please don't confuse lack of press inches covering a carrier with inaction on their part.

Alas RYR aren't a UK airline ... Thankfully :)

ExXB
15th Aug 2017, 19:32
If they really wanted to succeed, why don't they offer 2 free drinks inflight to sober adults? Rather than charge them £4.50 for half a pint. If they added £10 to the fare they would be well ahead.

Harry Wayfarers
15th Aug 2017, 19:38
If they added GBP10 to the fare they wouldn't transport so many idiots in the first place!

Laarbruch72
15th Aug 2017, 22:23
If they added GBP10 to the fare they wouldn't transport so many idiots in the first place!

Really? You think another tenner on the fare discourages anyone?

At my last airline the most troublesome route was UK to Montego Bay (so a high fare to begin with), often involving "premium" passengers (so even more expensive), this was despite the airline also offering a vast number of cheap Balearic routes and similar as the main fayre.

It's not a simplistic situation of "poor and drunk passengers behave worse than any other "better off" demographic". It's way more complicated than that, with all sorts of cultural, societal and operational issues at play.

Metro man
15th Aug 2017, 22:47
Aeroflot stopped selling alcoholic drinks in economy class due to passenger behaviour. They started with the problem routes such as Havana and Bangkok and eventually applied it to the whole network. The consumption of duty free is also prohibited.

If Ryanair was serious, they would do the same.

Harry Wayfarers
16th Aug 2017, 04:58
Really? You think another tenner on the fare discourages anyone?

At my last airline the most troublesome route was UK to Montego Bay (so a high fare to begin with), often involving "premium" passengers (so even more expensive), this was despite the airline also offering a vast number of cheap Balearic routes and similar as the main fayre.

It's not a simplistic situation of "poor and drunk passengers behave worse than any other "better off" demographic". It's way more complicated than that, with all sorts of cultural, societal and operational issues at play.

Yes, it would discourage a percentage, a family of four on a round trip, that's GBP80.00, many of these people didn't fly until these silly fares came in ... and I speak having worked for, and flew many a time with, Europe's first low-cost airline ... the airline that invented low-cost airlines1

111KAB
16th Aug 2017, 06:17
Last year I made the mistake of booking a FR Friday night, 9.00pm flight out of BHX to PMI. I realised in the terminal that there were a group of lads getting rowdy and they were of course on my flight. Not a stag party just 20 or so going to shag an nuf for a long weekend.

All were split up on the plane but remained in rows of 3. Spanish crew - pilot had two rows of them up front prior to take off to warn them. I was towards the rear of the plane with one row of 3 immediately in front swearing away like it was going out of fashion. Trolley service virtually starts with me and then moves onto the 3 in front.

Guy on the aisle seat ...."We want 18 miniatures of Jack Daniels and 6 cans of Pepsi".... quoted in € and paid in £ - converted bill was £97 and he parted with five twenties and informed the other two that was a fifth of his weekends money gone.

Landed PMI at just after midnight when we collected our car as they were all getting on a coach (could hear them 'singing' as we drove away) to "enjoy a night of Magaluf night clubs".

Harry Wayfarers
16th Aug 2017, 10:34
During July 2018 I have booked myself on a 32 year old BAe146-100 taking-off from a very short runway ... And they wonder why I drink! :)

Alsacienne
16th Aug 2017, 13:52
."We want 18 miniatures of Jack Daniels and 6 cans of Pepsi".

Now I may be in danger of revealing too much about my age, but wasn't there a time when a 2 drink-limit was imposed on some carriers? (... probably in the USA)

Now I know that this will certainly hit on-board revenue, and sadly cabin crew commission, but might it not be possible to reinstate this rule for certain destinations or certain times/days on carriers where 'sobriety' and 'decorum' have never reached the ears (never mind the brains) of certain passengers?

edi_local
16th Aug 2017, 16:49
Last year I made the mistake of booking a FR Friday night, 9.00pm flight out of BHX to PMI. I realised in the terminal that there were a group of lads getting rowdy and they were of course on my flight. Not a stag party just 20 or so going to shag an nuf for a long weekend.

All were split up on the plane but remained in rows of 3. Spanish crew - pilot had two rows of them up front prior to take off to warn them. I was towards the rear of the plane with one row of 3 immediately in front swearing away like it was going out of fashion. Trolley service virtually starts with me and then moves onto the 3 in front.

Guy on the aisle seat ...."We want 18 miniatures of Jack Daniels and 6 cans of Pepsi".... quoted in € and paid in £ - converted bill was £97 and he parted with five twenties and informed the other two that was a fifth of his weekends money gone.

Landed PMI at just after midnight when we collected our car as they were all getting on a coach (could hear them 'singing' as we drove away) to "enjoy a night of Magaluf night clubs".

This is what I don't understand about UK 'lad' culture.

You can drink freely in the UK, whenever you want, as much as you want, pretty much wherever you want. If you are looking for cheap booze you can find it on the high street and in the shops with barely any hassle and at a fraction of the price you can get it at an airport and especially on the plane! So where is the logic behind getting tanked up in the airport and then on board drinking even more? Unless they were all oil rig workers or ex-pats on leave from Saudi, I cannot see the need to act like this and even then, surely the partying can wait until you're actually in the resort? For your own self respect at least.

Maybe some refused entry to Spanish airports after Brexit will kick a few of these people into line? Once they lose fast track access and have to stand in a passport line for an hour or so, only to be refused for being blind drunk maybe then they will have time to think about their behaviour? They won't have any automatic right to enter Spain in about 18 months, so the authorities can be as jobs worthy as they like towards UK pissheads. If that's what it takes to stamp this pathetic culture out then I'm all for it.

Metro man
16th Aug 2017, 23:08
In Australia, miners on fly in/fly out contracts to remote sites are deliberately taken to the airport as late as possible by the company to avoid them getting tanked up prior to take off. After check in its straight to the gate as boarding has already started.

edi_local
17th Aug 2017, 19:05
In Australia, miners on fly in/fly out contracts to remote sites are deliberately taken to the airport as late as possible by the company to avoid them getting tanked up prior to take off. After check in its straight to the gate as boarding has already started.

Not just in Australia. Same thing used to happen at EDI. Years ago I checked in charter flights to Greenland for some drilling company, I forget exactly what they did, but I know booze was not allowed on site and they would be gone for weeks on end. Anyway, the rep from the company had to go through the bags pre-check in and make sure they had no booze in there. they were forbidden from buying any booze in the airport, again their bags were checked at the gate. The check in desk opened an hour before the flight, closed a -30, boarding started at -25, so no chances at all to get to the bars.

If only all flights could be the same. :ok: