PDA

View Full Version : Checklists

weedflier
15th Jul 2002, 11:07
What's the general view of pilots out there regarding the use of checklists for start-up and take -off?
I've worked for companies that required the use of checklists for all start-ups (even on single-pilot ops), others which required that the checklists were checked after completing the start-up and another which had a very sensible flow system around the cockpit for completing the start-up checks from memory.
Some companies seem to have after take-off and prelanding checklists which are so long and complicated as to be more dangerous, because of the amount of time spent with one's head in the cockpit, than forgetting to carry out a particular check.
What do you think?

offshoreigor
15th Jul 2002, 11:40
Weedflier

Checklists are sometimes lengthy and seemingly overkill, but from my experience in offshore IFR ops, they can be a lifesaver. Checklists in general should be concise and to the point and at the same time be relevant and easy to follow with a sensible flow.

This is sometimes difficult since you must realise that the checklist is designed to cover all requirements for the task at hand. For instance, if your aircraft has a coupled Nav/GPS then it would be wise to confirm that your Nav selectoer switch is set to the NAV not the GPS on approach! Don't laugh, it has happened!

As for a checklist being dangerous, I don't buy it. Not even single pilot. Years ago, I flew single pilot offshore in an S76 and I never found conformity to the checklist, post take off, cruise or landing to be a hinderance.

Just keep in mind that the folks who went to the trouble of establishing the checklists in the first place, had a pretty good idea as to why they had to write them.

Cheers :eek: OffshoreIgor :eek:

Vfrpilotpb
16th Jul 2002, 19:22
Use em all the time, mans brain has problems, might not be up to scratch, might have a cold,might have anything, but reading from a weather proof list is not a sign of lost manlyness, more a sign of a pilot who wants to ensure everything is checked that should be, especially if you are one of the many non-pro pilots who may only fly intermitantly.
Nothing lost in checking things twice, but always DIP your tanks at the very end before flight switch on and after landing!