PDA

View Full Version : Noise Cancelling Headsets for Jets

morno
14th Aug 2017, 15:05
Now that Sennheiser isn't making pilot headsets anymore, can anyone recommend a good quality noise cancelling headset for use in a 'Bus?

Regretting not buying the Sennheiser ones when they were making them.

Cheers

morno

clear to land
14th Aug 2017, 15:32
Bose QC with Harmony U-flymic (google)-much cheaper and more comfortable than 'aviation' headsets. Work great in the Triple.

Denti
14th Aug 2017, 16:23
I have seen everything from the company provided non-active Sennheiser ones to the Bose A20 on the bus. Personally i still use a Bose QC15 with a u-fly mike, however, i consider to buy a replacement for it, the headset begins to show its age. I might go fo the Harmony solution, but all those different packages and stuff are kinda confusing, not to mention its not available on short notice anyway.

Car RAMROD
15th Aug 2017, 01:51
Telex 850. TSOd and no batteries or hard-wire power required.

Snakecharma
15th Aug 2017, 05:08
When did sennheiser pull out of the aviation headset market?

With regards the ufly mike solution is it TSO approved?

Pretty sure you can still get sennheiser anr headsets with the right plugs from stores in the us.

cooperplace
15th Aug 2017, 06:59
late 2015: Sennheiser Exits Pilot Headset Market | Flying Magazine (http://www.flyingmag.com/avionics-gear/pilot-supplies/sennheiser-exits-pilot-headset-market) a pity, I've got a Sennheiser and I really like it.

porch monkey
15th Aug 2017, 07:01
Bose X for the last 10 years in the 737. Can't beat it. TSO required by our company.

morno
15th Aug 2017, 07:34
I've looked at the U Fly Mike setup, but it's a bit useless if it's not TSO'd.

The Telex 850 looks alright, but it says it needs the mic to be powered for the noise cancelling to work. So I'm assuming that as soon as you turn the intercom off it's no longer powered?

I'll keep looking around. Couple of different options but was hoping for some personal recommendations.

Cheers

morno

Car RAMROD
15th Aug 2017, 08:00
Morno, I'm sure you still get anr with the intercom turned off with the Telex 850.

However, I have not tried one in an Airbus so cannot comment specifically there. Hopefully someone else can.

simmple
15th Aug 2017, 09:25
Tried the sennheiser and Bose.
Go for Bose

Berner
15th Aug 2017, 11:50
Been using DC pro-xa but not really happy with it. Has a buzz whenever the intercom is on so it's going back. Otherwise it'd be great.

Car RAMROD
15th Aug 2017, 12:14
Morno, some other options include the Clarity Aloft Pro and Pro Plus, if you prefer the in-ear styling.

Like the Telex, TSOd and I'm pretty sure doesn't require seperate power for noise reduction.

I've been trying to get my hands on a set to try them but don't want to have to shell out first. Maybe you want to be the guinea pig? :ok:

Pontius
15th Aug 2017, 21:58
The Telex 850 takes its ANR power from the microphone circuit and works all the time with intercom on or off. As long as the mic lead is plugged in (or mic wire powered in the Airbus single socket) you have ANR. The only time I ever lose ANR is if I use the hand mic for a PA.

They're very light and take up very little space compared to something like the Bose headsets. I wouldn't use one if flying something other than a jet because the passive noise reduction isn't brilliant but I can recommend them otherwise; reasonably priced, ANR is fine for a jet, light and the ear cups are comfortable with no clamping.

Cessna Jockey
16th Aug 2017, 01:57
Been using DC pro-xa but not really happy with it. Has a buzz whenever the intercom is on so it's going back. Otherwise it'd be great.

Berner I have the exact same headset for the a320 but have no complaints. Perhaps just a faulty model?

Berner
16th Aug 2017, 07:17
Berner I have the exact same headset for the a320 but have no complaints. Perhaps just a faulty model?

It's on its way back to be inspected. If the problem gets fixed I'll post here as without this problem it'd be a very nice headset. Particularly as it's easy enough to wear off the ear if the other guy doesn't want to use the intercom

lederhosen
16th Aug 2017, 09:31
I have a telex 850 but broke the headphones by stupidly using the rather flimsy case in a soft bag. Good headset but get a solid case to store them and have a good system for not leaving them on the aircraft!

FJ44
16th Aug 2017, 10:54
DC Pro or Telex 850.
Never used them in the 'Bus but both have been great headsets for a number of years.

At least the 850 never goes flat like the DC Pro's do.

18th Aug 2017, 18:57
D.C. Pro X

Built like a truck and the ANR is pretty good. Chews the batteries a bit but apart from that, bloody good!

Bit pricey but they'll last.

His dudeness
18th Aug 2017, 19:51
Pro-X - replaced our Sennheisers - never looked back

Check Airman
18th Aug 2017, 20:11
Lightspeed Zulu

Clarity Aloft is nice, but it has a lot of background static.