PDA

View Full Version : West Australian Bush Companies

Snapper_head
19th Jan 2001, 08:00
Im a green CPL pilot about to embark on a mission to find my first place of employment! I am going to travel from Perth, leaving early Feb and drive to Darwin and throw in a CV and show my face at every airport in-between. I have posted my CV to every company in the area that I could find but any hints from anyone on which companies need pilots with 200hrs, and a C210 check pleeeease reply.

[This message has been edited by Snapper_head (edited 19 January 2001).]

redsnail
19th Jan 2001, 13:27
Well, just passing through rarely works in Oz. Pick a place that has the greatest chance of hiring you. Ie good amounts of charter with scenics thrown in would be my pick. I went to Kununurra and stayed there for 4 months before I got a job. C210 time is very useful. Surf the net if you aren't sure. Look up the online yellow pages. Your first job is always the hardest one to get. Be persistant and positive. There is a lot you can do to help you get that break. However, the senior pilots and the chief pilot have to get to know you. Just breasing through won't do it. However, bear in mind, the nicer the place, the more pilots there will be. Probably with a lot more hours than you.
Skills that are useful.
mechanical experience. Find a friendly hangar that will show you stuff if you don't know it already.
Electrical experience. Can you wire up a speaker? let them know if you can do that sort of work! (PA systems, the hangar and so on)
languages. Great for the tourists. Enrol in a course at tech while you are waiting. Shows initiative.
computing skills. Very handy.
Get a job doing any thing in town. The locals will talk if you are either a good worker or a tosser. Bear that in mind when dealing with every one in the small towns.
Top tip to beat all. Don't be a ******.

Pick a mob that has twins that you can progress onto. Saves having to do the 'rounds' again when you want that initial 500 multi.
Good luck.

Snapper_head
19th Jan 2001, 15:21
Cheers Redsnail I will take your advice onboard and what you say gives me confidence as I am very handy with tools, did a computer minor at Uni so know my way around a computer and have done PR in the past. I was going to stay put in one place when I find the correct one but have heard many different stories so cant make a choice.
I like the idea about tech I'll give that a go always one to try something new.

expedite_climb
19th Jan 2001, 15:23
Ask Cumulonimbus ...

Snapper_head
19th Jan 2001, 15:31
Thanks expedite_climb does he know the goss if so how can I find him thanks again.
Snapper
:)

[This message has been edited by Snapper_head (edited 19 January 2001).]