PDA

View Full Version : AFR on a limited budget

downunderscouser
14th Aug 2017, 04:56
Hi,

I haven't been flying in a few years and want to get back in the air. I'm a PPL holder who was hour building towards CPL when reality started biting and I had to spend money on other things such as surviving. But always I have wanted to get back in the air.

I want to join Point Cook Flying club who have aircraft at rates that I can afford so I can start killing off those hours again, however, before I do so I need to get an AFR.

I spoke to the flying school I was flying with before and they were quoting me thousands of dollars which quite frankly is not going to happen - the Wise Inspector of Financial Expenditure aka WIFE will not allow it sadly...

Is there any way of doing this cheaper, is it possible to pay an instructor for time but provide an aircraft myself from PCFC?

Obviously I appreciate that price is not all thats important and that having been on the ground for a few years much has changed and I have to demonstrate safe flying - but I just want to do it in an aircraft that is both affordable and the kind of aircraft I am used to i.e. a traditional GA trainer like a Cessna or Piper rather than an ultralight (I considered something like Soar Aviation but I can't get past the whole ultralight thing).

Any suggestions? I am in Melbourne, obviously :)

Egipps
14th Aug 2017, 05:21
Pretty sure Soar have VH registered aircraft as well. They advertise training through to PPL. Might be worth checking.

downunderscouser
14th Aug 2017, 06:09
Yeah but no Pipers or Cessnas. I want to fly what I am used to at this point.

fujii
14th Aug 2017, 06:43
You only have to show competence not fly with a school trying to milk you. Try Mike Bourke at Kyneton, he has a lot of experience and a practical approach.

downunderscouser
14th Aug 2017, 06:50
Yeah I agree but I know I have to catch up on a lot of changes, airspace and procedures etc. I bet a lot has changed since 2011.

djpil
14th Aug 2017, 07:07
I agree, Mike at Kyneton with the 172 is a good option. I can suggest some other local names at Moorabbin and nearby airfields (contact me by PM) and happy to chat over the phone (or coffee at Moorabbin - have you been to the Naked Racer?).

fujii
14th Aug 2017, 07:08
You may be surprised how little has changed. You are not likely to be flying in Class C airspace. Class D has been simplified with regard to clearances. Uncontrolled airports are still a ten mile inbound call. A navex including Essendon and Moorabbin plus one uncontrolled airport may be all you need. Shop around.

Andy_G
14th Aug 2017, 07:43
Kyneton and bacchus marsh are good options these days. No burning VDO time waiting to get onto a runway. PCFC has the best rental rates in just about all Australia, good for hour building if thats what you need