PDA

View Full Version : Which ipad has the best GPS receiver?

super jet 100
13th Aug 2017, 09:51
Hello everyone,

What do you recommend to buy: an ipad air 2 or mini 4? They have built-in barometers. I'm not really familiar with Apple stuff. Is it possible to connect my 128Gb MicroSD card to an ipad via some kind of adapter and still have the usb port to charge it?

I'm going to get one off ebay. What do I need to check?

Thanks!

andytug
13th Aug 2017, 18:45
I would buy the latest version of iPad you can afford, the early versions no longer update to the latest Ios software (different cpu chips). I would be wary of buying one via eBay unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing, when spending that amount of money better somewhere like CEX where you get a guarantee and can take it back if it doesn't work, YMMV.

As regards the adapter, unlikely you would get one as you describe. There are third party adapters for sd cards but Apple's attitude is if you want that functionality you should buy a Macbook.

G0ULI
13th Aug 2017, 19:41
It is best to consider the iPad as a sealed unit. Whatever model you purchase, there is no upgrade path if you decide at a later date you need more memory. It is not possible to read and write to external memory cards from an iPad, at least not in any meaningfully useful manner.

So buy one with as much memory as you can afford. The models with cellular phone network connectivity have decent GPS. The mobile network is used to speed up geolocation and lock on to GPS position more rapidly.

Get the highest spec and most memory you can afford and you are unlikely to be disappointed. Apple devices have a decent lifespan and will cope with several generations of updates before they need to be updated.

ExSp33db1rd
3rd Sep 2017, 08:51
It is not possible to read and write to external memory cards from an iPad, at least not in any meaningfully useful manner.

I'll go along with the "any meaningfully useful manner" , but I have a Mobilite gadget that takes SD cards and USB sticks, then transmits their data via a WiFi signal to the iPad, but it is "read only", no editing or adding to the SD card any data from the iPad, but better than nothing, i.e. I take all my passwords on an encrypted stick, so at least I can get into sites that need complicated passwords, and names of ones' Grandmothers first dog, to access when I am away from home and my 24 page A4 file of passwords and memory stuff, that one needs on a daily basis these days.

LIFE was easier before computers.