PDA

View Full Version : Noise and fatigue

Keg
12th Aug 2017, 07:58
An interesting article here about some research (https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/2017/08/11/noise-and-aviation-safety/15024103505046) being done into noise/ fatigue and recall. I presume the recall they're talking about is the ability to recall information or ATC communication? I'm interested in what others think.

megle2
12th Aug 2017, 08:41
Hardly surprising. You can add headsets that give you a sore ear to the research and some pity for the prop jet drivers who would love a 80 decibels cockpit

Ixixly
12th Aug 2017, 09:50
megle2, what about those of us dealing with Islanders? :D

ACMS
12th Aug 2017, 10:27
What? Can't hear you.....speak up :E

Jabawocky
12th Aug 2017, 11:11
He said something about NOISE

I agree, noise, dehydration, O2 levels and sun etc all lead to fatigue. Few big days for me this week and 5.5 hours in one spot today and I am fatigued. You guys with a call button toilets and the room to go for a walk.......blooody luxury! :ok:

ga_trojan
13th Aug 2017, 07:00
You guys with a call button toilets and the room to go for a walk.......blooody luxury! Go fly around in a 737 at M.79 for 9.5 hours with no noise cancelling, no window shades with a seat that makes a park bench feel comfortable and get back to me on that idea.....:hmm:

From memory low level high speed cruise and descent has been measured at greater than 90 decibels.

Oriana
13th Aug 2017, 08:41
Management and crewing DGAF.

Fly your aeroplane to max legal limits at all hours, night and day, and STFU.

maggot
13th Aug 2017, 22:03
Go fly around in a 737 at M.79 for 9.5 hours with no noise cancelling, no window shades with a seat that makes a park bench feel comfortable and get back to me on that idea.....:hmm:

From memory low level high speed cruise and descent has been measured at greater than 90 decibels.

Loooxeery

The 73NG is soooo much quieter than the classic. And I'm supposing what came before that.

Gimme a nicbe quiet bus :D

airtags
14th Aug 2017, 00:26
Interesting read Keg - certainly some merit in it and something worthy of further work.

AT

ga_trojan
14th Aug 2017, 01:59
The 73NG is soooo much quieter than the classic. And I'm supposing what came before that. Interesting you say that, as it's the same air frame flying faster. Maybe the vortex generators actually do work.
Either way I'm sure the people at Bose are very happy with the current level of cockpit noise.

maggot
14th Aug 2017, 02:12
Interesting you say that, as it's the same air frame flying faster. Maybe the vortex generators actually do work.
Either way I'm sure the people at Bose are very happy with the current level of cockpit noise.
Generally a fair bit higher up so much quieter.
Have flown them back to back on a day many times and the difference was quite notable.
Same tube but more slick perhaps as you note, vortex gens etc...

But hey, nothing on a turboprop or heli

Capn Bloggs
14th Aug 2017, 05:46
I'm so quiet I don't have an intercom!

Bose. Overrated stereo speakers... aren't they? :} :)

Ixixly
14th Aug 2017, 23:42
ga_trojan, go buy a noise cancelling headset and a cushion then? :D

Newspapers make great window shades too, haha.

oldpax
15th Aug 2017, 01:29
Back in the day ,I wonder how many decibels there were in the likes of a shackelton!!!

Keg
15th Aug 2017, 02:48
Interesting read Keg - certainly some merit in it and something worthy of further work.

AT

I was flying with a former 787 driver the other day who indicated the 787 was significantly quieter than the A330. I'm not sure Boeing explicitly designed it that way but it's simply come about because of the re-shaped nose section and the fixed windows that don't need to open and close.

Any A350 drivers (particularly the CX drivers who do CCQ between the 330/350) care to provide any insights into the relative noise between the two flight decks?

HEALY
15th Aug 2017, 05:11
Keg

Big difference in noise levels ! Once you get thru the first 1500' with gear retraction below your feet it's very quiet . Also given your going straight to 37,000 and M.85 on a European long haul you don't get that initial blast you get from a low level start. No air leaks and retains warmth well . It's a great environment to fly many rubbish patterns and unsustainable crew compliments

TurningFinalRWY36
15th Aug 2017, 05:48
Noise reduction after nose wheel gear retraction is dramatic, also nice sitting up at FL430

ga_trojan
15th Aug 2017, 12:01
Newspapers make great window shades too, haha.

A bloke in the US actually has a business selling proper window shades for many airline cockpits all UV rated and cut to fit. That and a set of custom ear plugs or a proper headset should fix most problems.

Ixixly
15th Aug 2017, 12:30
Those shades are not cheap though ga_trojan, was recently involved in buying some and gotta say the fit was none too impressive either. But we have some existing sets that are spectacular but the maker of them is no longer in business unfortunately!