PDA

View Full Version : UK "gaps" Sentinel Opps

Heathrow Harry
11th Aug 2017, 17:26
A 'gap' in UK Raytheon Sentinel R1 Airborne Stand-Off Radar (ASTOR) surveillance aircraft operations against the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq has emerged, after more than two years of continuous presence on the region.
The UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) announced in early August that a Sentinel from the Royal Air Force's (RAF) 5 (Army Co-operation - AC) Squadron had returned to its home base at Waddington in Lincolnshire. The MoD said the aircraft had been deployed for two months, and during that time was airborne for 235 hours.

A ministry spokesperson confirmed to Jane's on 9 August that the aircraft would not be replaced on duty at RAF Akrotiri on Cyprus, where the UK bases the majority of its aircraft participating in Operation 'Shader', as the UK contribution to the war against Islamic State is codenamed.

Jimlad1
11th Aug 2017, 19:23
Or perhaps more accurately put "as operations in Iraq begin to change / draw down, the UK force package alters too"...

glad rag
12th Aug 2017, 16:38
Yep.

Retrograde steps laid at the alter of F35..

Heathrow Harry
12th Aug 2017, 17:49
Gradual erosion of capability without the need for any announcement - then in a year " well they've been sitting doing nuffin' so we can get rid of them"

SVK
12th Aug 2017, 20:34
HH,

This is a Sentinel rather than Sentry thread.

;)

gr4techie
12th Aug 2017, 20:58
The MoD said the aircraft had been deployed for two months, and during that time was airborne for 235 hours.

I wonder how the flying hours for Tornado, Typhoon and Voyager (AAR) compare ? Considering they have quite a few sorties per day and to Mosul and back is several hours.

Door Slider
12th Aug 2017, 21:18
I wonder how the flying hours for Tornado, Typhoon and Voyager (AAR) compare ?

My guess for Voyager is approximately 600-650 hours.

Melchett01
12th Aug 2017, 22:55
Or perhaps more accurately put "as operations in Iraq begin to change / draw down, the UK force package alters too"...

I think we're a long way from ops drawing down, but a definite change of focus is in the offing as the Caliphate crumbles and we move back from fighting a physical entity that can be tracked from the air to fighting an idea and terrorist organization hiding among the population.

Pure Pursuit
13th Aug 2017, 10:14
HH,

This is a Sentinel rather than Sentry thread.

;)

I wouldn't read too much into any operational pause. Every squadron needs to take a breather now and again, as do it's a/c. ISTAR doesn't have the luxury of multiple squadrons for each type. Additionally, other nations take turns at holding a capability in theatre.

I'm quite confident about both 5 and 8 squadrons futures. I'd be more worried about the additional Typhoon squadrons never arriving. Christ knows how they'll man them.

DCThumb
13th Aug 2017, 10:29
Sadly if by 5 Sqn you mean Sentinel, your confidence is misplaced as its withdrawal from service in 2020 (I think that is the right year) has already been announced.

The standown from Cyprus is everything to do with the chaps on the sqn being threaders after the best part of 10 years continuous ops - doesn't time fly!!!

pr00ne
13th Aug 2017, 21:32
2021 is withdrawal date. Squadron complement reduced by one a/c in May.

Tinman74
16th Aug 2017, 12:04
Yep.

Retrograde steps laid at the alter of F35..

Change your record mate, it is boring.