PDA

View Full Version : Indian Medical for Expat ?

l8starter
10th Aug 2017, 11:44
I'm new on this forum, and may have an opportunity for a biz jet job with a private operator/owner, based in India.

I have an EASA ATPL, and will have to convert to an Indian licence, which will involve having a medical. I have had a search regarding expats undergoing medicals in India, but all results are a little old now. So I would like to ask what the current situation is please ? From what I've read, it looks like an initial with the Indian Airforce Medics, is that still the case ?

I won't see sixty again, and I have hypertension, which has been well managed with medication for a few years now. I'm obviously wondering how this might be viewed by the authorities there, whether I may have any problems getting a medical, or if there are any areas in particular that are unacceptable to the DGCA, even if acceptable to EASA ?

Many thanks.

L8

itsbrokenagain
13th Aug 2017, 13:55
I am still here 9 years later ...scary.. and there is still no change to the previous forum posts , in fact do not do your initial medical at Bangalore , it's a night mare there now, go to Delhi for your first go through, takes 2 days but more logical and easier people to deal with. We have put 4 expats through the medical this year in our company .

l8starter
15th Aug 2017, 07:38
Many thanks for your post, and for the advice. Basing is still undecided, as far as I know, so not sure where I would go for the medical.

My main concern is how my existing conditions might be viewed by the authorities, and whether I might be rejected out of hand ? I've always steered clear of China, because of the NASA style medical that I would be very unlikely pass, and from what I've read in this forum, was beginning to wonder if the medical in India was of a similar vein ?

I would certainly look forward to having the opportunity to relocate to India for a few years. I've read about the bureaucratic, and other, problems/difficulties I'm likely to come across, but as its a rotational roster, I would use the time off to travel and see something of the country. Fingers crossed.

Many thanks.

L8

itsbrokenagain
15th Aug 2017, 10:32
in my experience with other pilots, if you can prove that your home country has no issues issuing you a class 1 medical with your condition then you are good here too.

if you go through the indian dgca website under medical there is a manual there which does have some stuff on hypertension on it.

But in your post you say :I won't see sixty again,"I won't see sixty again," does that mean you are over 60 ?? if so you might be out of luck. The car here on fata issue restricts it to under 60, you can stay here if you have one before you hit 60 , you just cant do an initial issue unless you are under 60 .

l8starter
16th Aug 2017, 09:02
I will indeed not see my 60th birthday again. Bugger. I was going after a possible job in the Far East, and hit the same snag. It's a funny old life sometimes. Up until now, I wasn't free to relocate, but now I am, the options are disappearing at an alarming rate. If you cann't take a joke, you shouldn't have been born, as they say ........

Many thanks for your help ! Carry on enjoying the curry, and whatever it is that keeps breaking, I hope they fix it !

L8

alphamargins
10th Sep 2017, 14:38
You can get your class 1 issued at the airforce centres or at one of the two approved private hospitals located in Chennai and Mumbai.

You could try calling a DGCA approved private doctor and clarify anything you may need.

PM me if you would like a ph number of such a doctor.

l8starter
18th Sep 2017, 13:07
Very many thanks for your reply alphamargins, very much appreciated. I tried to PM you, but unfortunately unable.

itsbrokenagain
20th Sep 2017, 01:08
Thats not correct, the initial medical and certain renewals must be at the Indian Airforce, renewals can be done at Class 1 Examiners who are just normal approved docs like we see in the rest of the world... although you still need a host of blood tests and ECG annually.

l8starter
21st Sep 2017, 17:11
Thanks again itsbrokeagain, for taking the trouble to reply, and for the info. I'm getting some conflicting info from different sources, but will continue with the application; and nothing is happening quickly, so no rush, and nothing to lose. I failed a stress ECG in the UK a while back - a not too uncommon experience apparently - and long story short, had an angiogram, so can at least prove the ticker is still good for a few more miles . . . .

itsbrokenagain
25th Sep 2017, 00:53
we have had a couple of pilots with heart issues all were cleared easily in India... one had a really bad problem, he should have had bypass surgery but still he was allowed to be medically cleared... crazy.

l8starter
27th Sep 2017, 20:36
Bloody hell ! It doesn't sound like I've got too much to worry about then ? I have to admit, when I failed the ECG I was absolutely sh1££1ng myself, following the chat with the CAA cardiologist. So was more than surprised/relieved when the cardiologist who did my angiogram told me there was bugger all wrong. Phew . . . . . I do keep myself in good shape, exercise and eat sensibly etc., but definitely have a weakness for a good curry - especially with a good beer - so it could be a little tricky in India. Still, it's something to look forward to if I get the job ! Thanks again for your input !