PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian 787 screening

jabbejokker
9th Aug 2017, 13:35
Hello,

I'm expecting to attend a screening later this month with Norwegian air shuttle for a RCA position. I haven't been able to find much information on the interview process on line and would like to prepare for the upcoming event. If you have experience with the interview process and tips as to best prepare for it I'd appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me.

Thank you in advance.

havick
9th Aug 2017, 16:25
Do you have any plans to try and get into a legacy US carrier at some point in your career, or are you planning on staying with Norwegian Air for a long time?

nolimitholdem
12th Aug 2017, 17:21
So, nothing about the interview process other than one's own political views, then?

It's nice to see such concern for a stranger's career, but how about answering the actual question instead of answering ones no one asked?

Incidentally I did pass all 14 EASA exams by solely using the BGS and AviationExam databases. But I also had a lot of previous industry experience. No, it wasn't easy (and it's a complete, pedantic waste of time) but it's not as hard as you try and make it out to be.

I mean, look at some of the people who hold the license...:}

peekay4
12th Aug 2017, 17:22
If you go to Norwegian Airlines, your chances of ever flying for an airline represented by ALPA will be slim to nil.
The trade unions have a tremendous influence with the companies over who who is eligible to be hired.
There's some truth to the above, but:

1. Blackballing pilots simply because they worked at a non-union airline is highly illegal

2. Not so long ago, a new US regional airline was setup specifically to circumvent a union CBA and there was a lot of resentment from other pilots and talk of union blacklisting. But in reality, pilots from this regional flowed to all of the majors just fine.

3. At many airlines, the hiring pilots are management (non-union) pilots anyway. They have seats to fill and don't care about union politics.

I think there's real resentment out there but some of the rhetoric are way overstated.

TowerDog
13th Aug 2017, 01:43
. If you go to Norwegian Airlines, your chances of ever flying for an airline represented by ALPA will be slim to nil.

Bullshht.
Any ALPA, APA carrier, whatever would be happy to steal a pilot from the competition.
It will hurt Norwegian and the ALPA carrier will get a current and qualified International glass cockpit pilot that NAI spent $30-40k training.
Norwegian is not a scab outfit, they do everything legally, same with the pilot's, they never crossed no picket line.
UA and AA pilots back in the 80's agreed to a B scale: Those guys are the real scumbags..

nolimitholdem
13th Aug 2017, 09:06
You, too, are of course welcome to do as you see fit. But preaching a sermon when all someone wanted was some interview gouge is pathetic.

shedsd330
14th Aug 2017, 17:26
You, too, are of course welcome to do as you see fit. But preaching a sermon when all someone wanted was some interview gouge is pathetic.

The only thing pathetic in this thread is that someone with right to work in US is actually seeking to work at Norweign and their pathetic T and C's. Given that it is not surprising he/she is hearing crickets on interview gouge.

SeaArrrrrrJay
14th Aug 2017, 18:26
The only thing pathetic in this thread is that someone with right to work in US is actually seeking to work at Norweign and their pathetic T and C's. Given that it is not surprising he/she is hearing crickets on interview gouge.

Exactly. Even the US regionals have better work rules than Norwegian.

ironbutt57
4th Sep 2017, 16:56
the union thing...used t have teeth, but now it's all relegated to crew-bus comments and snickers....circa 1994 ALPA FORGAVE all the strikebreakers at Continental, and they magically went from being "scabs" to "ALPA members in good standing with unfortunate dates of hire"...think about it...

lambourne
5th Sep 2017, 15:28
the union thing...used t have teeth, but now it's all relegated to crew-bus comments and snickers....circa 1994 ALPA FORGAVE all the strikebreakers at Continental, and they magically went from being "scabs" to "ALPA members in good standing with unfortunate dates of hire"...think about it...

ALPA wanted the dues dollars of all the CO pilots. ALPA is a corporation. The pilots are the association. If any pilot truly doesn't think that working for Norwegian will hurt their future at a US3 they are mistaken. Pilots still reside on the hiring boards and the unions still have influence. So you will have to be the super star candidate if you are coming from Norwegian. Whereas there are a few that can sneak past the goalie the filter for Ex Norwegian candidates will be tight. Plus with the regional hiring programs and mil hires the regular off the street pilots numbers (which would include Norwegian pilots) will be very small numbers.

If anyone winds up at Norwegian I hope they never venture back here to complain and pay or work rules.

JetpoweredMigrantWkr
5th Sep 2017, 22:15
Exactly. Even the US regionals have better work rules than Norwegian.

And you work there?
How do you know Norwegian's work rules?
The guy was asking for information, so please expand.

Danfly180
17th Sep 2017, 01:30
I have recently passed the screening for the FO 787 FLL base. My wife's job is getting transferred to Europe so I have the right to work in EU now. The briefing packet is all you need to read. We flew the 777 Sim for the interview. Everything was straight forward and very professional.

Orly1
13th Oct 2017, 11:19
Hello. I was shown a copy of the contract for working for OSM in Florida. I have never seen such a document for a job. I can only imagine that it might apply to a very highly paid, very sensitive position at an internet startup, or such. When you resign, or are asked to leave, it seems to say that you cannot work for any other company that might pose any kind of competition to OSM, for the subsequent two years. In other words, you cannot work as a pilot (or other aviation profession) in any part of the world they operate after you leave the company.
Perhaps I misread it - and I cannot post it out of respect for the person to whom it was sent - but it is quite intimidating as I read it. It goes so far as to say that if it is not shown to be valid in court, it could still be enforced. There is no provision for a pay increase during the time of the contract. There is no facility for a pension contribution, by either the company or the employee. The contract is extendable by 1 year on a renewable basis, after the first three years.
I don't mean to be critical of the company, but i am curious if anyone involved has seen such a document before. I have read of non compete clauses in contracts in the US. However the restriction of two years after leaving seems a violation of a person's human right to work, and to provide for themselves.