PDA

View Full Version : FAA holds Air India flight missing TSO tags on seat belts

pants on fire...
7th Aug 2017, 20:34
And I thought this was only one of these ridiculous pedantic issues they did to smaller aircraft just for the hell of it!

Air India: Air India flight in US denied take-off over seat belt tags (http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/air-india-flight-in-us-denied-take-off-over-seat-belt-tags/articleshow/59939095.cms)

Smott999
7th Aug 2017, 21:00
Is there such a thing as a counterfeit seatbelt?

funfly
7th Aug 2017, 21:18
Not a safety issue, just some jobsworth!!!
Though not a safety issue, FAA did not allow the plane — which was booked to capacity

chimbu warrior
7th Aug 2017, 21:21
The Air India system of maintenance might not require such tags. Some operators work on a scheduled replacement of such equipment, and simply remove and replace all seatbelts after a specified time.

I know nothing about AI, but suggest that unless the FAA are privy to their system of maintenance, this might be a false alarm.

MarkerInbound
7th Aug 2017, 21:49
The Air India system of maintenance might not require such tags.

Since AI went to the trouble of flying in seatbelts with the TSO tag I would think they are required. The TSO tag shows that the part was manufactured to an approved standard. It says nothing about the current status of the part.

You would think the good ones come with a counterfeit TSO tag.

Airbubba
7th Aug 2017, 21:50

There certainly is in India. They even have shirts with a seat belt image to make it look like the wearer is buckled up when the police drive by.

havick
8th Aug 2017, 02:00
There certainly is in India. They even have shirts with a seat belt image to make it look like the wearer is buckled up when the police drive by.

Wish there was a like button for this post.

B2N2
8th Aug 2017, 02:58
An airline spokesman said: “The seat belts were perfectly fine. Only some had tags worn out. This is an instance of impractical or irrelevant stipulations being imposed on Air India by FAA.

Like the Indian DGCA is the pinnacle of efficiency and reason.
Pot meet kettle.