PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Ccirruss
6th Aug 2017, 15:29
Hi,

I'm interested in pursuing a career as a pilot but struggling a bit on where to start and get some solid advice on options available to me. A company called TurnPoint (turnpoint.aero) are running an event at BAFT... Includes a simulator flight as well which seems awesome. Is anyone else going? It's on the 2nd Sept. What are your views on attending these type of career days/What's been the best way to decide on what to do? So much information out there and don't really know anyone in the industry. Any advice much appreciated!

KayPam
6th Aug 2017, 20:55
You should read all the forums until you're familiar with all the different routes, their advantages and drawbacks. Only then will you be able to make an educated decision.

planesandthings
6th Aug 2017, 21:26
Turnpoint seems to be a new venture by a few well known people in the industry. I'd personally go to some of the open days of some of the Flight Training Organisations (who do sim trips too) and potentially "Flyer Live" at Heathrow first to get a feel. £200 seems a bit steep for a careers day for new wannabes in my opinion but could be very useful for those at a more advanced stage.

Also especially if you're straight out of school get flying and just get the bug, get involved with the Air League, get involved with your local flying/gliding club, get a flying scholarship. It'll do you wonders and give you connections and skills no careers day can match.

MaverickPrime
7th Aug 2017, 12:18
Well if you are serious about becoming a commercial pilot, get your class 1 medical booked. You're career won't get off the ground, excuse the pun, if you can't get a medical.

Secondly, research, research, research. Read the forums, talk to people. Plenty of pilots have channels on YouTube these days, so check that out!

Take the negativity with a big pinch of salt. No airline is perfect and there are a lot of greedy executives at the top like any industry, but life isn't half as bad as a pilot as many would have you believe.

Take a few trial lessons, see if you like!