PDA

View Full Version : 'Severe Turbulence' Experienced on Flight From Greece to Philadelphia, 10 Injured

JCA-55
6th Aug 2017, 10:36
Link to article:

'Severe Turbulence' Experienced on Flight From Greece to Philadelphia, 10 Injured - NBC 10 Philadelphia (http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Severe-Turbulence-Experienced-on-Flight-From-Greece-to-Philadelphia-10-Injured-438754013.html)

msbbarratt
6th Aug 2017, 14:28
Seems like most of the injured are crew. I hope that the hurt passengers were not injured by some other passenger who was themselves unbuckled. I hope everyone makes a speedy recovery.

As SLF I've often wondered at what point the cabin crew are told to buckle up too. There's no point them unnecessarily risking their necks for the sake of some passenger's G&T.

Basil
6th Aug 2017, 14:53
"The gentleman directly behind us and diagonally behind us hit the ceiling himself."
Must have thought it was Hogwarts Airlines and Newton's Laws of Motion were switched off.

Carbon Bootprint
6th Aug 2017, 22:10
As SLF I've often wondered at what point the cabin crew are told to buckle up too. There's no point them unnecessarily risking their necks for the sake of some passenger's G&T.
Agreed, and I've been on a couple of flights in cruise where the flight crew announced over the PA "cabin crew please be seated." They promptly complied. I don't know what criteria was used to make that judgement, but given that things got pretty bumpy afterwards, they saw something was coming up.

llondel
6th Aug 2017, 23:11
I have been on flights where they've suspended cabin service and crew have all been in their seats. I don't think it ever got bad enough to throw people or trolleys around but if there's a warning of severe turbulence you don't want to wait for it to manifest itself before taking action.

lomapaseo
7th Aug 2017, 02:11
[quote]As SLF I've often wondered at what point the cabin crew are told to buckle up too. There's no point them unnecessarily risking their necks for the sake of some passenger's G&T.
{/quote]

The cabin crew are kept in the know via the pilots getting advice from planes flying ahead nor indeed from their own weather radar.

This of course is passed on to the crew if they have not already been briefed before takeoff.

Of course unexpected happens and it's not always air turbulence.

I really don't know what was going on with the news and these flights. Nobody is typically served in early climb or descent. Sometimes we can't even get a drink (PDB) on the ground :)