PDA

View Full Version : A320 ROLLOUT mode

IFLY_INDIGO
6th Aug 2017, 09:54
When does ROLLOUT mode get disengaged automatically after landing in case of manual or automatic landing?

Airmann
6th Aug 2017, 11:00
? Remains until AP is disconnected. Isn't a mode during a manual landing.

Meikleour
6th Aug 2017, 13:28
In my experience with ROLLOUT mode engaged you have to disconnect the A/P otherwise you cannot turn off the runway! Many a pilot new to Airbus will have discovered this out whilst trying to make the first high speed turnoff! It's mu understanding that this mode acts through the NWS.

IFLY_INDIGO
6th Aug 2017, 16:25
? Remains until AP is disconnected. Isn't a mode during a manual landing.

It is a mode for both auto and manual landing.. Check next time when you land

IFLY_INDIGO
6th Aug 2017, 16:26
In my experience with ROLLOUT mode engaged you have to disconnect the A/P otherwise you cannot turn off the runway! Many a pilot new to Airbus will have discovered this out whilst trying to make the first high speed turnoff! It's mu understanding that this mode acts through the NWS.

Yes, that is right.. But disconnecting AP doesn't disengage the ROLLOUT mode.

safelife
7th Aug 2017, 01:06
I think it's a certain amount of heading discrepancy from the landing course which causes it to disengage. When you turn off the runway at a certain time the mode is dropped.
Compare with more conventional aircraft which retain it (or GS/LOC) until you disengage it (or switch off the flight directors).

IFLY_INDIGO
7th Aug 2017, 05:49
Yes, I noticed that too recently. when you clear the rwy, at some point it disengages itself.

I am looking for a reference to such disengagement in the FCOM.. Any idea?

mcdhu
7th Aug 2017, 06:39
It's 25 degrees off the inbound course. I'll have a look for the FCOM ref when I have time.

mcdhu
7th Aug 2017, 10:33
Check out PRO-NOR-SRP-01-70 which says:

At the end of the Rollout:
Disconnect the autopilot.
If the flight crew does not disconnect the AP at the end of the rollout, and uses the nosewheel steering handwheel to taxi the aircraft off the runway, the following will occur:
The AP will try to steer the aircraft back to the runway centerline, if the nosewheel steering handwheel is released and the aircraft heading is less than 20 ° off the runway centerline.
The AP will automatically disconnect, if the aircraft heading is 20 ° or more off the runway centerline.