PDA

View Full Version : Takeoff at night with no edge lights

colorblind...
4th Aug 2017, 09:20
Common sense says it's not possible,
but this EASA table leaves me confused.

CENTERLINE + RWY END LIGHTS only?

https://preview.ibb.co/cEEywa/Untitled.png (https://ibb.co/cVftUv)

dixi188
4th Aug 2017, 15:45
Centreline LIGHTS + runway end lights.

Where's the problem.

KingAir1978
4th Aug 2017, 15:52
I think you mis-interpret the table. It states what you need to apply the mentioned wx minima not what you DON'T need.

colorblind...
5th Aug 2017, 11:49
Centreline LIGHTS + runway end lights.

Where's the problem.

Rule by this table:
Night minima --> use centreline LTS + rwy end LTS.
You can takeoff with 400M.
Nice.
BUT: this leaves you without rwy edge lights, at night!
That's what I don't get in this table!

Goldenrivett
5th Aug 2017, 12:21
BUT: this leaves you without rwy edge lights, at night!
How far off the centre line do you normally wander during Take Off?

A Squared
6th Aug 2017, 05:08
So you question your ability to take off on a runway with a lighted centerline and runway end lights but no edge lights?

Togue
6th Aug 2017, 06:37
If the chart made by the authority is stated that you can take off with Center Lights and End lights, where's the problem?. I agree with A squared and dixie188

You either need Edge or Center Lights. End light are always required.

sleeper
6th Aug 2017, 09:43
Our company requiered edge lights in nighttime ops. Diverted once because of this.

colorblind...
6th Aug 2017, 13:16
End light are always required.

Tell me about it.. Once the twr controller switched runway direction, turned all the lights on except threshold + stop end..
Strange experience....!
So you question your ability to take off on a runway with a lighted centerline and runway end lights but no edge lights?
No. :ouch:
Just never considered / noticed on any book / experienced rwy edge lights inop at night.
Reason of this post was to find some kind of reference.. Like the ILS inoperative equipment table that for every item gives you the effect on landing minima or no go status of the approach.

How far off the centre line do you normally wander during Take Off?

Depends on the length of the duty, and what time I woke up.
Crosswind is usually irrelevant :E

dixi188
6th Aug 2017, 16:21
Cat IIIA early one morning at Shannon. Lots of glow from approach lights and then complete darkness. GA and then apology from controller. He forgot to turn on the runway lights!

ManaAdaSystem
6th Aug 2017, 17:14
Had a similar situation into Chennai in India. Limited vis and we asked the ATCO to confirm all lights at 100 %. One second later everything went black.
Got them back on after a small delay.

A Squared
6th Aug 2017, 17:21
Along those lines ... in the sim on a checkride for upgrade. Hdd just touched down on a 2 engine inpop approach and landing ... more or less in the vicinity of the centerline and more or less travelling in the same direction of the runway ... but on a 2 engine inop approach in a turboprop, it's not over till you're stationary. Suddenly a zero-zero fogbank engulfs us from out of no where. Voice from the back says "Sorry" when the fog miraculously lifted, I was somewhere over in the weeds clipping along.

BizJetJock
7th Aug 2017, 08:45
Reason of this post was to find some kind of reference
A little confused by this one - your screenshot is from the EASA regulations, therefore it is the reference!

VinRouge
7th Aug 2017, 11:18
I would say do what your Ops manual says you can do.