PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought @ The Torch ?

The Crew
4th Aug 2017, 08:30
I hope not. Now impossible to sell these apartments. For years to come. Seems Dubai is fast becoming notorious for high rise fires. No way Id live there. Thank Allah for Villas .
They are rocketing in value now ;)

Mr Mac
4th Aug 2017, 11:11
More work for me (Facade consultant). Have actualy pointed this out on jobs in your area before, and indeed in UK, but value engineering rules ok (cost cutting to the rest of us), or at least did.
Intrestingly on a UK contract on which I am involved the sprinkler system which had been design enginered out, is now making a come back in the last week at a £.75m cost to project, so maybe things are going to improve.

Glad everyone got out ok on the Torch

Regards
Mr Mac

Dubaian
4th Aug 2017, 12:00
I left DXB a couple of months ago but before I did relocate to UK, my Dubai apartment tower block owner/developer, DAMAC, installed self-contained dry powder extinguishers on every balcony in a tower in Business Bay. A balcony fire will be blitzed. It won't ring alarms or alert Civil Defence but as long as a source of ignition for an external fire is no longer a hazard, who needs escalation of the event.

Seems a few more developers with known dodgy cladding should follow suit. 2 in a row for the aptly named Torch. Glad they all got out safely.

The tower blocks in the Marina are very close together. One of these days falling burning debris is going to spread the fire to adjacent tower(s). Glass cladding does not burn. Concrete painted and unclad is also not a fire risk. Unless you plan to use a balcony, avoid them.
Bear these things in mind if you have a choice of accom. in DXB.

The Outlaw
4th Aug 2017, 12:38
Nothing to see here...move along.

It was just a tiny fire caused laborer who was cooking goat meat without license issued by the Department of Cooking Meat and Happiness... certified by the Department of Certificates and Permissions. He has been deported already albeit without the goat meat.

The building was equipped with the latest state of the art fire suppression systems which put the fire out even BEFORE it thought of starting.

Only the best!

Monarch Man
4th Aug 2017, 14:09

It was just a tiny fire caused laborer who was cooking goat meat without license issued by the Department of Cooking Meat and Happiness... certified by the Department of Certificates and Permissions. He has been deported already albeit without the goat meat.

The building was equipped with the latest state of the art fire suppression systems which put the fire out even BEFORE it thought of starting.

Only the best!

Post of the year!

Fortunately no fluids spilled on the screen

EK-or-bust
4th Aug 2017, 15:49
Post of the year indeed :-)
I spilled a bit........

Gulf News
4th Aug 2017, 18:13
http://https://www.thenational.ae/business/property/grenfell-tower-fire-disaster-in-london-could-never-happen-in-dubai-experts-say-1.40162

A bit like STC saying " We are unstoppable" Lies and Bullsh*t are a way of life in the Middle East.

brakedwell
4th Aug 2017, 18:56
What an approptiate name - Torch :ok:

BigGeordie
4th Aug 2017, 19:09
People in Dubai have short memories. Anything that happened before the last visa renewal is already ancient history as another load of hopeful optimists gets off the plane.

In a couple of years, most people in Dubai will say, "Fire? What fire?" In fact, Dubai has such a transient population, in a couple of years most people in Dubai won't even have been here for the fire!

Easy Peasy
4th Aug 2017, 19:25
This building catches fire so often they should rename something like.... oh wait a minute... never mind. ��������.

g109
7th Aug 2017, 09:43
Dubai Marina Torch Fire: What Next? Who Pays? - Gulf Business (http://gulfbusiness.com/dubai-marina-torch-fire-next-pays/)

Read this, anybody who even thinks about buying an apartment in a high rise in dubai should get their head examined.....

Glorified Dus Briver
7th Aug 2017, 23:03

Only the best!

I have had the unfortunate event of fluids being profusely and uncontrollably expelled from the opening in my mouth onto the Liquid Crystal Display screen positioned in front of me. I kindly request that you transfer the monies to my overseas account for a new display screen :D:D

ironbutt57
8th Aug 2017, 06:28
What an approptiate name - Torch :ok:

hahahaha...where's the "like" button when you need it

halas
8th Aug 2017, 12:02
Flaming hell! This fire thing in the Torch is like old embers smouldering away, but then… It re-ignites! Wow! How do they do it over and again? Amazing!

halas