PDA

View Full Version : CityFlyer ATR's

Ex Servant
14th Jul 2002, 20:57
Could anyone tell me what the future is for these aircraft. I spent many happy hours flying down the back of them. If they are going to be disposed of I'd like to be on the last flight. Sad I know but we all have our own favourites for different reasons, Echo Heap excepted. Yes I know you lot at the front thought it was quick but it was a dog for those of us down the back. Hope they enjoy it down in South America.
(PS I wouldn't bother turning on the aircon, on a 42 it wasn't much good even in Europe)

Harry G
16th Jul 2002, 20:29
Sadly I think very little will be made of the ATR's last flight, I think BA will quitely let it slip away.

It won't be for another year. (end of next summer apparently)

A big deal WAS going to be made of the departure of the last -42. The company acknowledging that this was the a/c that CFE became a success with.

But by the time it left, last year, CityFlyer was no more, BA don't care and no one noticed.

Ex Servant
18th Jul 2002, 21:12
Thanks for the reply Harry G. Sad as you say that they don't acknowledge what this aircraft actually achieved for the group. How many routes did they manage to serve successfully with this aircraft that they now don't serve/can't serve with a jet? Cork is one that springs to mind. We always used to have a good load on a evening flight over and morning flight back. Also used to have some excellant full rest night stops for the crew as well! Only one way to look at it I suppose, better to have done it and enjoyed it while it lasted than to never have done it at all. Just hope that the next time I get on an ATR it isn't at Duxford or somewhere similar (not just yet anyway).

ZuluFox
19th Jul 2002, 17:21
I think BA will be glad to see the back of the ATRs. There are 5 in the fleet and a friend at LGW tells me that they just cannot keep them all operational.

Says volumes about the almost criminally negligent decision by BA to destory a perfectly sound, commerically viable and profitable little airline by integrating it into their main operation. CFE managed to keep the ATRs flying, why can't BA with their huge resources?