View Full Version : Mrs Wilkinson's knickers.

effortless
3rd Aug 2017, 07:49
So another as BoB veteran dies. The big question arises. What to wear when going to war? Ken Wilkinson wore his wife's knickers round his neck. I can really sympathise with this. I know at least one Lightning pilot regularly wore his girlfriend's.

Ken Wilkinson, 616 and 19 squadrons. Dies at the age of 99.

Red Line Entry
3rd Aug 2017, 07:55
...which in the Lightning case probably had nothing to do with going to war!

Ken was a top bloke - met him at a Dining In night a few years ago when one of our female members was smitten with meeting a BoB hero. I think he quite enjoyed the attention (although the Stn Cdr was having kittens that she'd give him a heart attack!)

Danny42C
3rd Aug 2017, 11:10
I believe that something silk round the neck made screwing your head round (a vital attribute in a fighter pilot !) less scratchy than with a starched collar. One of your girlfriend's silk (no nylons yet) stockings (preferably used) was ideal for the purpose.

Clearly a pair of silk frillies would meet the requirement just as well.

Or so I am told.

Wensleydale
3rd Aug 2017, 12:28
So was the Battle of Britain the first European Thong Contest?

Barksdale Boy
3rd Aug 2017, 13:48
In a reversal of this, my wife, on a desperately cold day in Manchester, wore my aircrew double string vest under her wedding dress.

sycamore
3rd Aug 2017, 14:06
B-B, bet she was `itching` to get out of it as well....

Dan Winterland
4th Aug 2017, 10:34
One day I went to work with a pair of my wife's knickers stuck to the Velcro of the lower leg pocket of my flying suit. They became attached in the tumble dryer - honest!

I didn't get much banter for that of course.

ShyTorque
4th Aug 2017, 15:01
One day I went to work with a pair of my wife's knickers stuck to the Velcro of the lower leg pocket of my flying suit. They became attached in the tumble dryer - honest!

I didn't get much banter for that of course.

I once did similar when I rode my push bike across the station to work trailing a pair of light brown tights from the velcro on my flying suit waistband like a sad parody of Biggles' silk scarf. Then walked across the hangar to met brief and back, completely unaware of why everyone was in such a jolly mood. At least I amused many of the station personnel, especially those on the main gate. :O

Fortissimo
4th Aug 2017, 16:22
So was the Battle of Britain the first European Thong Contest?

Wensleydale, brilliant, new keyboard and fresh coffee required! :D:D:D:D

Icare9
5th Aug 2017, 20:40
I know at least one Lightning pilot regularly wore his girlfriend's........

I believe that something silk round the neck made screwing your head round (a vital attribute in a fighter pilot !)... ahem....

I can't get my head through the leg hole, what's the right technique?

Rosevidney1
5th Aug 2017, 22:33
Get a larger girlfriend?

sycamore
6th Aug 2017, 09:29
Ic9,cut the `gussett`.....

zetec2
6th Aug 2017, 17:27
I sense something going on here Sycamore - is it something to do with you always having a smile on your face when flying ?????.

Wander00
7th Aug 2017, 14:20
Sniff, sniff.......

sycamore
7th Aug 2017, 15:29
Z2, nah,Norah Batty`s bloomers/fingertrappers,armour -plated...from knees to chest....!:O

Danny42C
7th Aug 2017, 18:03
(In Mobile):

♫... "The girls all wear tin pants -
But they take 'em off to dance" ...♫

Wouldn't have been any use for this purpose ! (and think of the compass deviation).

THAT'S QUITE ENOUGH OF THAT.

The Oberon
8th Aug 2017, 04:38
Z2, nah,Norah Batty`s bloomers/fingertrappers,armour -plated...from knees to chest....!:O

Not the old harvest festivals? All is safely gathered in.

B2N2
8th Aug 2017, 09:25
Get a larger girlfriend?

:D

That just had me in stitches...thank you very much.

Wander00
8th Aug 2017, 10:02
What's your name?
Nicholas
Knickerless girls should not climb trees.......

DirtyProp
8th Aug 2017, 10:57
Can we safely assume that these two are pilot's wives then...?

https://i.warosu.org/data/fa/img/0064/77/1373456739884.jpg

sittingstress
8th Aug 2017, 11:14
DirtyProp, No. There aren't any "My husband is a pilot" zaps in view. :)

Herod
8th Aug 2017, 11:30
I was going to have a ham sandwich for lunch, but that picture has put me right off.

Danny42C
8th Aug 2017, 11:50
Tec'h question (honest): Why is it that Internet Explorer only shows the red "x" in lieu of DP's #20 pic, Google Chrome can still show the " builders' cleavage" in all its glory ?

Danny.

sittingstress
8th Aug 2017, 14:42
Tec'h question (honest): Why is it that Internet Explorer only shows the red "x" in lieu of DP's #20 pic, Google Chrome can still show the " builders' cleavage" in all its glory ?

Danny.

Danny, I am led to believe it is because Internet Explorer is the web browser of the lower social classes such as the Army, whereas Google Chrome is the browser for the more gentlemanly types of the Royal Air Force. ;)

langleybaston
8th Aug 2017, 15:37
The logistics of "knickers round the neck" are very challenging. Surely only a small pilot's head and neck and a very large girl friend would, as it were, meet the requirements.

It has to be a leg-hole/waist contortion surely.

[PS I have just had a sneaky rehearsal without wife being aware. Even the leg-hole is difficult. Perhaps I have big ears].

Is the matter an aviation urban legend?

Give the problem a try!

Danny42C
8th Aug 2017, 16:26
sittingstress (#24),

Suppose I must be a hermaphrodite (but only in this respect), as although coming from a military family, I preferred flying to footslogging !

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

langley bastion (#25),

Speaking theoretically, you understand, if the hip measurement exceeds your neck measurement, you should be able to roll 'em up laterally and fit inside your collar.

Do today's FJ jockeys still use this trick ? Tights might be a bit bulky. Or do they never need to look behind them ?

Danny.