PDA

View Full Version : FI rating?

liquidhockey
14th Jul 2002, 19:57
Hi
I may be starting my PPL in a months time and i am considering doing an Instructers license afterwards.

I know you cant give me any exact figures but can anyone tell me roughly what intructers earn per month and how many hours flying they do per week?

Thanks for your time
Dave

MLS-12D
17th Jul 2002, 22:20
Sorry, I am not an instructor so I can't answer your question other than to say that generally the pay is lousy because there is a surplus of newly-minted commercial pilots who desperately need to build hours.

This is not intended as a personal attack on you Dave (nothing wrong with asking questions), but I am always amazed at the number of people who write into these forums and say "I will be quitting my job next week to pursue my dream of becoming a professional pilot and intend to go for my PPL, CPL, IR, etc. etc.". All I can think is: do you have any idea what you're getting yourself into? How do you even know that you'll like flying, let alone love it enough to make all the financial and other sacrifices that will be required?

My advice to you, and to other wannabes, is: (1) don't quit your day job; (2) learn to fly part-time; (3) don't make any career decisions until you have earned your CPL/IR; (4) if you then decide to pursue a career in aviation, fine and good; (5) if you then decide not to pursue a career in aviation, there's no harm done - you've not burnt any bridges, and you've picked up a wonderful hobby.

Good luck!:)

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th Jul 2002, 22:48
Sound advice.

Currently a newbie PPL instructor might expect £5 an hr airborne. Perhaps also a £10 a day retainer each day he shows up.

Fairly meagre pickings on a rating that costs £5,500 and is actually quite hard work.

englishal
18th Jul 2002, 09:29
For a part time instructor, Bournemouth pay £20 per flying hour. No retainer though.

I think its £8 per hour for a full time instructor, + a retainer.

EA;)

sickBocks
18th Jul 2002, 10:33
Here is a sample of what's around (for a newly-qualified FI(R) with NO experience instructing)

£11,000p.a. salaried
£10/hr no retainer
£13/hr + £30/day retainer
£6/hr + £25/day retainer
£10/hr + £10/day retainer

Some of which you are self-employed others you are an employee.

Obviously with the hourly-rate Wx = poor = younoflyfly = you no get paid gringo.

sB

PS: Like the Welshman says it costs a lot and is quite hard. (I found it more challenging than the CPL & IR - no room for ambiguity)

Snigs
18th Jul 2002, 13:16
I may be reading your post incorrectly liquidhockey. But after you've done your PPL, you must complete the CPL with all the hour buliding that it entails, and then the FI rating before you can be paid to instruct anyone

Send Clowns
18th Jul 2002, 21:55
I am about to start the FI(R), and have been advised by someone very knowledgeable in this area and completely impartial that as a part-time instructor (I will still teach groundschool as my main job) the flying instruction is likely to take more than a year to pay off the cost of the FI(R). However since I always wanted to instruct I will do it anyway.