PDA

View Full Version : CPL(R) via ATPL theory and beyond........

AirScream
18th Jan 2001, 19:54
Can anyone offer some advice on the way the ATPL system works:

If I complete the ATPL exams (as they are cheaper than and more available than the CPLs at the moment) can I go on to do a CPL flying course and get a CPL (R) and call it a day there?

Presumably if I managed to get an IR within the 3 years from completing the ATPL exams I could then be issued a frozen ATPL??

Am I right in this assumption?

Valiant
18th Jan 2001, 21:30
I think if you do the ATPL exams or indeed the CPL exams you will get a CPL ie without the restriction ( having done the CPL flying side as well of course).

The CPL (R) is I think an alternative way of getting a JAR CPL but having done the old national theory courses. I'm not sure if it is still possible to go down this route or not though if you arent already in the old system.

Thats as I understand things anyway.

TooHotToFly
18th Jan 2001, 23:45
Just to reiterate the main points:

The JAR CPL (A) Restricted is only for people who are still on the CAA system - it does not apply to people starting out on the JAA system.

If you do the JAA ATPL exams instead of the CPL exams the only difference is that you will be able to apply for an ATPL licence when you reach the required hours (1500 TT, 500 multi-crew time, 100 night etc).

Once you've done the written exams, you then have to do an approved CPL course and an approved IR course. Then you will have a JAR CPL/IR, which you can upgrade to an ATPL when you reach the required hours.

The CPL (R) is for people converting either their UK BCPL or CPL.

AirScream
19th Jan 2001, 16:22
Cheers 2Hot and Valiant

The man formerly known as
19th Jan 2001, 18:25

The man formerly known as
19th Jan 2001, 18:38
This is my chosen path so heres my read on the situation.

The old UK ATPL path is only any good if you already have a BCPL. If you don't you can't get one any more. (Last issue was June 2000)

If you do it seems to provide an excellent way of getting a JAR ATPL without the hassle.

If you did the UK CPLs and passed you can convert to a JAR CPL(R) for about a £grand (see AIC white 19). The R is removed when you do 700 hours at you leisure - no 5 year time limits like the old system

If you do the UK ATPLs upgrade by june this year,(again about £1000) get a Jar CPL(R) and stick a Twin IR on the licence (about £10,000) you then have a frozen JAR ATPL as long as your IR is valid. You then have as long as you like to get 1500 hours including 500 RHS.

Providing you get a job fairly soon this seems to be the way to go. It avoids having to do JAR ATPLS (£3000), the JAR CPL exam (£6000) and the ir (again £10,000)

If I am wrong on any of this someone please let me know before I spend the money. ;)