PDA

View Full Version : 457 and Australian atc

mikk_13
31st Jul 2017, 11:52
Hey guys,

I heard that many controllers from overseas were given the boot from ASA due to the government change. Many where in the final stages of training.

An employment opportunity is available in central Europe for Australian and the now unemployed foreign controllers. Please PM me if you want the details of how to apply.

Kindly leave this in this forum, it effects Australian controllers directly and not relevant for the other parts of the world

Mikk_13

Band a Lot
1st Aug 2017, 06:34
Hey guys,

I heard that many controllers from overseas were given the boot from ASA due to the government change. Many where in the final stages of training.

Mikk_13

Well that might just get expensive, if they still have a current visa (457's have not been cancelled) what are the grounds for dismissal?

mikk_13
1st Aug 2017, 07:06
As I understand the 457 were unable to be extended due to the change in government policy. (atc taken off the list)

therefore- no job

mikk_13

The name is Porter
1st Aug 2017, 08:01
Foreign ATC's should never have been on the list in the first place. ASA's incompetence at planning for future requirements and expansion is no excuse.

Band a Lot
1st Aug 2017, 08:06
On 18 April 2017, the Government announced that the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457 visa) will be abolished and replaced with the completely new Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa in March 2018.

Trainee air traffic controllers

Our air traffic control in training program provides an excellent opportunity for candidates who have no previous air traffic control experience.
If selected as a trainee, and when your employment commences, you will receive world class training, leading to the AVI50115 Diploma of Aviation (Air Traffic Control).
You will be paid while you train and, upon successful completion of your training, you will enjoy a guaranteed career with excellent working conditions and competitive rewards and benefits.
In order to perform this critical role in the aviation industry, you will need to demonstrate:

good spatial awareness and strong mathematical skills
excellent communication skills
the ability to work well under pressure and make quick, accurate decisions
enjoy taking charge and being accountable for your actions and decisions
be willing to do shift work 24/7, 365 days of the year
meet medical and security clearance requirements.
Eligibility

To be eligible to apply, you will need to meet BOTH the Residency and Educational eligibility requirements.

At time of "application" residency was meet - so unless visa expires before course ends (unless the course is over 4 years not likely). or course is not passed "you will enjoy a guaranteed career with excellent working conditions and competitive rewards and benefits"

Now that is a job offer by the training provider.

mikk_13
1st Aug 2017, 08:53
Regardless, I understand there is 30 or controllers now in limbo. This is a really interesting offer for them to get some certainty to their careers.

From what I hear, the situation is a shameful mess of ASA.

le Pingouin
1st Aug 2017, 13:14
BaL, the overseas controllers were recruited under a different program - experienced controllers and not as trainee controllers so different conditions apply.

Band a Lot
2nd Aug 2017, 07:56

I think the 457 changes were announced in April - No new 457's have been processed for positions no longer on the list.

So they would have had a 457, that had several years validity on it before entry if they arrived after April. So for pro controller's it seems a very lot of training! And still they will have been employed with a contract (several years I think is the minimum).

As there are several hundred thousand people in Australia that have no skill but have a 457 visa - the 38 number thrown around could be them - that will fit the guaranteed career as I posted above (this group are partners & dependant kids of skilled 457 visa applicants).

But I read that Julie Bishop did say it was possible to get around the problem in genuine cases!!!

mikk_13
2nd Aug 2017, 08:03
deleted.............