PDA

View Full Version : How much work for perf A?

Icarus Wings
18th Jan 2001, 19:33
Can anyone out there who has done perf A advise me on how much study needs to be done for it. I`m going on a two day brush up course and hope to spend three weeks before the exam self studying (not full time). Is this a realistic amount?

KATO
18th Jan 2001, 23:20
Sounds like you have the right idea to me,its
just practice,practice,and even more practice

All the best

--NOT NOW--

Grandad Flyer
19th Jan 2001, 03:19
If doing the course with Alex Whittingham then I would say that even if you only actually manage one day's reading before the 2 day course you should be OK.
That is all I managed, and when we went round the "class" everyone else admitted they had meant to do more...
Is Perf A still a requirement?

Ray D'Avecta
19th Jan 2001, 05:21
I second what Grandad Flyer says above. In some respects, particularly with the Alex Whittingham 2 day course, too much pre-study might be a disadvantage. He introduces you to a number of quicker and less complicated ways of tackling the problems thereby superseding methods you might already have self studied.

On my course there were a few of us who had done zero pre-study, but by the end of the course we were all able to pass the exam with very high marks.

My advice, if you are a quick learner, (no offence intended) is to get hold of a copy of the CAP "thingy" with all the graphs in it and only familiarise yourself with the way the graphs are read and the 1 or 2 chapters of text at the beginning ahead of the course, thereby leaving all your capacity for absorbing what Alex has to say.

This is all of course assuming it is Alex's course you're going on. I'm afraid I dont know about other courses so cant vouch for the above in their context.

Good luck.

------------------
"Airspeed is life.....Altitude is life insurance!"

Icarus Wings
19th Jan 2001, 13:36
It is alex`s course i`m going on, but i was told recently that i was leaving it a little late and that a lot of self study was necessary.
Thanks for the replies.

SurfSpook
19th Jan 2001, 19:50
I did Alex's course also, I have to agree with the above postings, as his methods are designed to get you to pass the exam with minimum effort.

Too much pre-reading may give you the wrong mind set, anyone who was "Swattonned" at PPSC will know exactly how complicated this subject can become in the wrong hands.

I wouldn't get too uptight it isn't that bad, and Alex is very good at what he does.

J
19th Jan 2001, 22:54
I agree with all the above advice. However, I do remenber when I went on the course Alex started by asking everyone how much study they had done so that he knew what pace he should run the course at. I would personally suggest familiarising yourself with CAP 385 and brushing up on basic performance theory and definitions such as V speeds etc. This will at least ensure that you don't get left behind on the first morning and at best put you ahead of the game a little. He does run an excellent course but it does run at quite a pace! If you get through the two days with Alex then the exam will be no problem! Can't recommend him enough.

ET
20th Jan 2001, 00:41
Totally agree with J. You will not have time on the brush-up to learn definitions, so work on that before the 2 days. A working knowledge of what the CAP graphs signify will also be a help. Apart from that let the Guru himself give you the rest.