PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 British Pilots

ORAC
14th Jul 2002, 16:17
The Independent - 14 July 2002:

The Top Brass: And now for some real 'blue sky' thinking
The 10 leading pilots in Britain, as chosen by their peers.

Compiled by Kate Hilpern

Lloyd Cromwell Griffiths

Captain Lloyd Cromwell Griffiths, 57, is director of flight operations for British Airways, where he is in charge of the technical and safety training of air crew. As chief pilot, he also holds responsibility for cancelling or flying in extreme weather, as well as matters like the weight and balance of aircraft, their performance and fuel burn, and flight planning and navigation.

"I was introduced to aviation early in life because my father flew. I liked the romance of it – the fluffy white clouds and blue sky – and I still have an element of that now. I did my training in Canada, where I was a commercial bush pilot. I was paid according to how many people were on the seats behind me, which gave me my commercial sense.

"I joined BA in 1973 and the first half of my career was spent in Scotland. My major achievement there was my involvement in the creation of the Highland Division. In the space of a few years, we quadrupled the size of the business and created more than 200 jobs, while spreading our wings across Europe.

"I moved to Heathrow in 1990 where my main achievement has been developing our pilots' leadership skills so they do much more than drive an aircraft. They have to know everything there is to know about the business and I believe that's what makes them market leaders.

"My advice to people interested in becoming pilots is to get the best possible training. It will stand you in good stead for life."

Dan Arlett

Flight Lieutenant Dan Arlett, 27, is a Tornado F3 pilot serving with XI (Fighter) Squadron in North Yorkshire. He has flown operationally over Iraq and has led combat training missions in the Falkland Islands. He trained in 1996 as a commercial pilot at BAE, but decided to join the Royal Air Force the following year.

"Be determined, and appear confident and happy even when things are not going well. Do what you enjoy."

Mike Bannister

General Mike Bannister, 53, is general manager of Concorde, 737s, 757s, 767s, and Airbuses at British Airways. He was appointed Concorde flight manager in 1995 and was heavily involved in the modifications that returned the aircraft to the skies.

"My two career highlights have been my first Concorde flight and helping to put the flagship back into service."

Tom Cassells

Tom Cassells, 46, gained his pilot's licence in 1983 and went on to participate in freefall parachute drops. He is now one of the highest-placed aerobatic pilots in international events and is vice-chairman of the British Aerobatic Association.

"To finance my original flying lessons, I had to trade in my TVR sports car for a VW Golf, so you can see that I was hooked."

Alan Cassidy

Alan Cassidy, 53, is an aerobatic instructor and display pilot and has won the last three British National Aerobatic Championships. His career in flying started 35 years ago and he spent 20 years in the RAF. He left in 1990 and flew as a commercial pilot before setting up his own firm, Freestyle Aviation, in 1991.

"I still compete because it is technically the most difficult thing imaginable and so immensely rewarding."

Paul Douglas

Captain Paul Douglas, 52, is general manager of flight operations at British Airways. He joined BA in 1974 as a Trident co-pilot and became Concorde co-pilot in 1988. His current role involves ensuring that 900 flying hours a year are completed safely and efficiently. "The high point of my career at BA was privatisation and the period following. The company's reputation was high and with it rose the self-confidence of all its employees."

Mike Hayes

Flight Lieutenant Mike Hayes, 31, joined the RAF in 1990. After a varied career including flying exercises worldwide and peace-keeping operations over Yugoslavia and Iraq, he was posted to the instructional staff of the Jaguar Operational Conversion Unit 16R Squadron in 1998.

"Failure is a stepping stone to success."

Richard Hill

Richard Hill, 43, is operations director at BMI British Midland. He joined the company in 1982 as First Officer on an F-27 after training in Hamble, Hampshire with sponsorship from British Airways. His career highlight is the successful introduction of the Airbus A321 into service.

"The best advice to anyone contem- plating a career as a pilot is to persevere and be determined to succeed."

Paul Hopkins

Paul Hopkins, 51, has been chief test pilot for BAE Systems since 1997. He joined the company from the RAF in 1985 as a Harrier test pilot and has since been involved in the Hawk, Tornado, Gripen and Eurofighter development programmes.

"Getting to fly some of the world's greatest aircraft, like Harrier and Eurofighter Typhoon, is a job people dream of, and fortunately I am in the job where dreams come true."

Craig Penrice

Craig Penrice, 43, is the BAE Systems project pilot on Eurofighter Typhoon, the world's most advanced swing-role combat aircraft. He joined after 18 years career with the RAF. "Test pilots get the glory, and I wouldn't swap my job for anything, but there's a cast of thousands needed to create an aircraft as exceptional as Eurofighter Typhoon."

Compiled with help from the airline industry.

yotter
14th Jul 2002, 16:52
Presumably the statement that these people were chosen for inclusion 'by their peers' is a joke. Whilst I'm sure their mothers loved them, Mike Bannister, Paul Douglas & Lloyd Griffiths don't leave their desks more than once or twice a month, and worthy though they may be, wouldn't be on my list of BA aces.

Herod
14th Jul 2002, 17:13
Firstly, nobody asked me who the top ten were, secondly it can't be right because I'm not on it !! Seriously, does the chief pilot hold responsibility for flying in extreme weather, weight and balance, fuel burn ? 37 years in the business, and I always thought that as captain, those were my responsibilities. I can sleep easy tonight, a load has been taken off my mind.

Discorde
14th Jul 2002, 17:32
who are these people? . . . never heard of any of them

Engineer
14th Jul 2002, 17:37
But what you don't realise they are all pprune addicts;)

roger
14th Jul 2002, 18:07
no. 11....Douglas Bader
roger

Smoketoomuch
14th Jul 2002, 18:20
Hohoho; "To finance my original flying lessons, I had to trade in my TVR sports car for a VW Golf, so you can see that I was hooked."

That's it folks, problems paying for lessons? Simply check your garage and sell-off a few of those sports cars you've got that are gathering dust:rolleyes:

Mowgli
14th Jul 2002, 18:32
I know 2 of these 10, and flew quite a lot with one of them. Craig has achieved a great deal in his aviation career, but I know that he would never say that he was the greatest pair of hands in the sky, because he used to say to me that he wasn't! However, humility like that is a good quality in a pilot, so maybe that makes him great anyway?

I'm not quite sure what to make of this list, but it does no harm I suppose.

Techman
14th Jul 2002, 18:40
So Mike Bannister has been promoted to General has he!.

mdb3
14th Jul 2002, 18:47
ho ho ho wish I could aford a vw golf let alone a TVR:) :) :) ;)

fireflybob
14th Jul 2002, 18:58
Just how do you define a "top pilot"?

Reminds me of one company I was flying with where certain individuals used to complain that a particular captain was "difficult" to fly with.

When I asked them which pilot they would like to be with when faced with a dire emergency they all quoted this captain's name first!

I am not belittling the achievements of these top pilots but it doesn't always follow that the "creme de la creme" are the best when it all goes pear shaped!

Wig Wag
14th Jul 2002, 18:59
What a curious piece of journalism.

Its not a selection of the best aviators. More a collection of politically notable types. I would love to know who chose who.

It made me think of all those splendid crabby pilots who disappeared out of a side door into retirement with nary a backward glance. The sort who you absolutely knew would put the aircraft down safely no matter what. Pilots who consistently proved the value of safe practice over many long, quiet, careers.

Few of them company men and all of them individuals.

BTW Captain Griffiths, I would hate to be thought of as a 'market leader'.

Shadowpurser
14th Jul 2002, 19:48
Yeah! How do you become a leading pilot?

I reckon there was only 10 votes submitted in the ballot then they pulled names out of a hat for places!!!!

My top ten consists of pilots that LEAD us to the bar in the evening after a long day - then LEAD by example and pay for the first round - then LEAD us to a nightclub or strip bar - in the morning they LEAD the way to the duty free shop - then when we get back to base they LEAD the way by getting off the A/C and onto the bus so we get home quick!!!

Flying Lawyer
14th Jul 2002, 19:52
Any list of alleged 'Top 10 British Pilots' which doesn't include Ray Hanna has to be extremely suspect.
I suppose he might be excluded because, although he's lived here for circa 50 years, he was born in New Zealand. But that didn't stop him leading the Red Arrows for longer than anybody else, and he's still the best Spitfire display pilot even though he's now older than he'd like me to mention!

Tandoor
14th Jul 2002, 20:03
Any pilot who doesn't think that he's the best in the business is in the wrong business!!!!!!

BEagle
14th Jul 2002, 20:23
Any pilot who thinks that he's the best in the business is most certainly in the wrong business!!!!!! Such arrogance defies belief....

8000+ hours, 6000+ as P1C, Master Air Pilot, and I'm bŁoody certain that I'm not the best pilot in the business. I don't want to fly with anyone who thinks that they are either!

We all have something to learn. Unless we're stupid enough to think that we're the best there is.

pietenpohl
14th Jul 2002, 21:06
Flying Lawyer

My first thought of a top pilot was also of Ray Hanna; not only because of his skill leading the Arrows but also for his consummate skill as an individual pilot. I watched him display a Spitfire at his son, Mark's graduation at Linton on Ouse. I had never before or since ( nor do I expect to in the future) seen a better individual display.

Suggs
14th Jul 2002, 21:06
Why is Lord Suggs not on this list.

And how did the Prince of Darkness get on. Which one he is I'll let you make your mind up.
Chris Lankey should be on it to, just for pure front.

Pandora
14th Jul 2002, 21:50
Biggest pile of pants I have seen in a long time. Here are a few to chew over; John Askew - Yakman extraordinaire, and doesn't let his wheelchair slow him down; Judy Leden - don't know if she flies anything bigger than a microlight yet but she holds virtually every record there is for hang gliders, paragliders and the like; the bloke at BA (can't remember his name) who is the only pilot the CAA can think of who has had a collision midair and managed to land the a/c safely afterwards, and he was still only a student; Eric Moody - slightly controversial choice, but how many of us would perform in a very quiet cockpit when you should have 4 engines turning (shame he's still trying to get mileage out of it though). The list of outstanding PILOTS could go on and on, but this top ten seems to be a list of top MANAGERS. I have had the misfortune to meet 2 of the 3 BA chaps and personally don't care much for any of them.

mahonysherms
14th Jul 2002, 22:27
In my experience the best pilots are usually the ones out of the limelight.
The line pilot is aviations best kept secret.

BusyB
14th Jul 2002, 23:00
As i recall Eric Moody wasn't on the flightdeck when it went quiet! Some of the other BA ones were noticeable by their lack of enthusiiism to fly when offered ground jobs!

Mini mums
14th Jul 2002, 23:00
pandora considering your relative "juniorority" at Big Airways Don't slag off the management. I know you like to be out spoken on these forae, but just because your name wasn't on the list . . .

Lloyd isn't a bad bloke, and has contributed much to aviation - shame he changed his name.

Dan also isn't a bad bloke - bit of attitude is a good thing in a fast jet jockey. But Dan, all the girls don't love you ;) Is that a new Lotus . . .

Mike - pretty good career at BA and the re-intro of the rocket was a good job - give the guy a break.

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Tom, but doesn't affect his piloting skills. Nor Alan - but same again.

Paul Douglas is just slightly misaligned, but again not a fundementally bad guy.

Mike - I've never met you, but anybody who admits to failure and learns from it is on the right lines.

I take exception to Richard Hill - skilled aviator who knows, but nice guy he'll never be. My experiences of Richard leave a sour taste. BMI could be a better airline, were it not for him.

Paul & Craig have played with some good toys so I'm envyous - but good luck to them.

If I betray my background then so be it, but Pandora, just remember how lucky you've been. And so have I for that matter .. . :D

Rananim
15th Jul 2002, 00:21
All fine gentlemen I'm sure but I would be very wary of any attempt to create a league of merit in this business;pilots arent actors,you cant have an Academy Awards in our line of work.If you wanted to try,I wouldnt necessarily equate status and seniority with it either.The only way a pilots merit is ever truly tested is in situations which all of us hope we never encounter.
Without a doubt the greatest British pilots were those who fought in the Battle of Britain.Every one of them.The rest just stand in their collective shadow I'm afraid.

Devils Advocate
15th Jul 2002, 00:59
Well what about our beloved Capt. PPRuNe - surely he too must fit the bill, after all which of those ten pilots named in the list has done so much to promote worldwide freedom of access to aeronautical information and knowledge, e.g. as proved by the very fact that you're reading this now.

Indeed I'll bet that more pages are read on PPRuNe everyday, than the previously named 'ten' have ever published in their whole lives, e.g. it's presently approaching 1/2 million per day - :eek: - and growing !

British Pilots aside - just who has had the most impact on aviation ?! My list might read: The Wright brothers ( sort of started it all, well, maybe ), Frank Whittle ( the world's been a different place since the advent of the jet engine ), the crews of Apollo's 11 ( first on to the Moon ) & 13 ( for the unforgetable, Swigert: "Okay, Houston, we've had a problem here." ), and Danny ( for PPRuNe ).

Norman Stanley Fletcher
15th Jul 2002, 01:17
The only guy I know of on there is Craig Penrice - he has a reputation for being seriously capable and is very definitely 'top drawer' material. If you had to choose anyone for a list such as this then he would be right up there with the best of them. There are not many military pilots who can include on their CVs such varied flying tours as Lightnings with the RAF, F15s with the USAF and then end up as a Eurofighter test pilot. Sounds pretty good to me.

Eli Vator
15th Jul 2002, 01:58
You lot are evidently mere children when it comes to this flying game. Your lack of awareness of the true aviation greats is quite disturbing. Sod those w@ankers at Big Airways etc.

The top neddy is, without question, one Major James Bigglesworth. Algernon Montgomery Lacey and Airman Hebblethwaite should also deserve mention.

jordana320
15th Jul 2002, 06:33
Hey u guys

how ya all doing...

The people who wrote these statements are suffereing from inferiority complex....so why don't we just say " ok baby" U are the man...

u never know...

they might be using the these statements on PPrune as a proof of their quality and high flying standard...to get them a raise....

but we can just wish them all the best......:D

Woodman
15th Jul 2002, 08:04
What I find intriguing is the number of people who knock the original list compared to the relatively few who have suggested a list (or even individuals) of their own.

Norfolk in breaks
15th Jul 2002, 08:06
There appears to have been a printing mistake. When I voted for Lloyd Griffiths, Mike Bannister and Paul Douglas, the wording said "top ten piloks". I asmed this to be a spelling mistake rather than a typographical error. :D

StressFree
15th Jul 2002, 08:30
Woodman,
The point is that its utter pants to have a list of this nature in the first place.....................regardless of who's on it.

:rolleyes:

Sir Kitt Braker
15th Jul 2002, 08:30
Couldn't be too sure about anyone who needed to magnify his importance by constantly reminding everyone that he's descended from some politician fellow many generations back...

..perhaps some of these names are among the top ten aviators, in their own opinion, anyway.

Notso Fantastic
15th Jul 2002, 08:42
Can we question the sanity of the list compiler? What a load of tripe! Good pilots are not flying desks most days of the month. Funny when the Royalty go on flights, the desk drivers are the ones to do it!

Pandora
15th Jul 2002, 08:56
Exactly what I was trying to say, Notso, before Mini Mums came down on my head like a ton of bricks. There is (usually) nothing wrong with a manager managing and a pilot flying, but please don't get the two confused.

The one time I met Lloyd he spoke to me like I was 6 years old. Even the captain I was with at the time couldn't believe it. If the only thing he has to talk to his pilots about is how nice and shiny their buttons are, he needs to get near a flight deck more often.

As for Paul. Misaligned is a mild word. Totally off the tracks is more like it. This man also has a habit of telling every pilot he comes across how lucky they are that BA gave them a job. (Mini Mums, you're not Paul are you?) Now I thank my lucky stars every day that I am healthy and have an average brain in my head. But the rest is all sheer hard work. When I was at Oxford he regularly used to come along for his meet the cadets evenings, and would count us all to make sure no one was having fun in their own time. Then he would ask us if we had any problems, we would tell him and then he would sternly tell us we were all ungrateful and didn't we know how lucky we were. If he had his way we wouldn't have said a peep about inadequte health care, unsafe aircraft and instructors who couldn't give a damn about us (the US ones, not the OATS ones.)

All this reminiscing about OATS reminds me of another pilot I would have on my list - Tom Lecky-Thompson.

A and C
15th Jul 2002, 09:26
I dont think that I have ever seen a bigger waste of space on pprune than this thread.

tailscrape
15th Jul 2002, 10:02
Captain Paul Douglas,

Number ONE for no people skills whatsoever. Rude and possibly ignorant towards people too at times.

So I have heard....allegedly....etc etc (avoiding being sued...)

Sir Kitt Braker
15th Jul 2002, 10:18
PD - known by all in BA as "The Prince of Darkness" - I don't know why- but it doesn't sound very top 10 to me...

ww1
15th Jul 2002, 10:34
You're dead wrong, Roger. Douglas Bader's #1!! His bio should be required reading.

ETOPS
15th Jul 2002, 11:52
Whilst I couldn't possibly comment about the others - the three BA pilots mentioned are simply individuals who have risen to the top of the greasy pole in a major airline. That in itself doesn't disbar them from such a list, however the majority of Pilots in the UK will never even have heard of them and most BA crews would be able to name many other worthy candidates.

Another typically poor piece of journalism.......

MaximumPete
15th Jul 2002, 14:08
Perhaps the Awards and Trophies committee at the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators should have been asked?

Should a top ten list reflect managerial skills or the ability to fly and operate an aircraft?

MP

AfricanSkies
15th Jul 2002, 14:40
you're only as good as your last flight

what do you guys reckon is the single most important aptitude for a good pilot? smooth flying, confidence, good landings, good CRM, good planning, coolness in the face of drama?

my choice would be good at anticipation

twistedenginestarter
15th Jul 2002, 15:30
I hope they do Bottom 10 next week. I'm bound to be on that...
:cool:

Sir Kitt Braker
15th Jul 2002, 15:41
african - the single biggest aptitude for a pilot is:

To be able to combine all those other things you mentioned!

Fangio
15th Jul 2002, 20:16
What about a few test pilots such as Roly Beamont, Brian Trubshaw, Bill Bedford, Peter Twiss, Tony Blackburn, Robbie Robinson,etc.,

Moneyshot
15th Jul 2002, 23:48
Total load of tosh and not surprising there are some managers on there and some sprog fighter jock from the RAF. The best way of doing this is to send everyone with a pilots licence and everyone who flies in the services a questionnaire and see what comes out . Maybe Ray Hanna will be up in the top ten but who's flown with him? He seems to fly single seaters a lot so there's noone around to judge. Same goes for all single seat guys. Maybe those aircraft requiring 2 pilots don't need as much skill to be flown well but need more by way of captaincy. Tricky one isn't it?

swashplate
16th Jul 2002, 02:37
....maybe the Press are building 'em up to knock'em down...?? :confused: :eek:

Saint00
16th Jul 2002, 07:32
Who cares? Do your job and get a paycheck..:D

ifylofd
16th Jul 2002, 09:28
Military Intelligence

Deafening Silence

Mournful Optimist

Intelligent Cabin Crew

TOP 10 British Pilots

(see list) Gimme a break pplllleasssse...................................;)

Neo
16th Jul 2002, 11:43
I've always held certain newspapers in very low regard. Needless to say The Independent (NOT!) is one of them, and articles like this only reinforce that view. I suppose one should be grateful for having one's opinions confirmed!

This ranks along with the "most jinxed jet in Britain" article from The Times "Insight" Team as some of the worst, most uninformed drivel written about aviation.

I am sure all those pilots on the list are fine, professional pilots, but there are many others whose abilities are just as good, but who carry on their jobs out of the limelight.

Articles like this say far more about those who write them than those in them.

Capt.KAOS
16th Jul 2002, 12:58
I would like to recommand John Travolta, cause hez cool and pilot of honor with Qantas........wait......he ain't British......oh, well.....

Capr.KAOS

twistedenginestarter
16th Jul 2002, 14:14
"Paul Douglas

Captain Paul Douglas, 52, is general manager of flight operations at British Airways. He joined BA in 1974 as a

Trident co-pilot"

So we know why he got on the list.

(But what about the others?)

Bomber Harris
16th Jul 2002, 14:31
I have to agree with Kaos. John Travolta is 'the man'. And it dosen't matter if he's not British. He wanted to fly so he bought a fleet of aircraft. If he wants to be a top 10 British pilot it's easy....he just has to buy Britain.;) :) :)

YouNeverStopLearning
16th Jul 2002, 14:47
Some of you are getting a wee bit over-emotional.

Firstly, read the top of the article. These pilots did NOT pick themselves, it was other pilots within their respective peer groups that recommended them. Just because YOU weren't asked does not invalidate the results. I wasn't asked either but I look at this objectively, dispationatly and without malice or jealousy.

Clearly various sections of the flying industry were polled and consequently the result is a reflection of that. We all think we know pilots that should have been on the list but it is a list of ONLY 10.

It is also hardly surprising that BA got more than one mention when you consider the numbers of pilots they have, it is possibly a statistical inevitability!

I have known Dan Arlett very well for a great number of years and know of his outstanding skill, ability, determination and dedication. If others in HIS peer group nominated him then they probably know what they are doing.

Let go of your envie.

Notso Fantastic
16th Jul 2002, 14:48
John Travolta is the MAN ! He looks so cool in the uniform. Why does he look so suave and I look so sweaty and harrassed in mine? Put him at No. 1, but can anybody explain where this tosh came from and exactly which screaming idiot compiled it?

MaximumPete
16th Jul 2002, 14:58
According to Kate Hilpern Richard Hill's "career highlight is the successful introduction of the Airbus A321 into service"

However credit must be given to the two very experienced and dedicated managers/ training captains responsible for the introduction of this new type. They spent many nights away from home in Toulouse and long hours in the office.

Well done!

MP

Pandora
16th Jul 2002, 15:16
Notso,

Didn't you read it properly first time round? They were picked by their peers. So Lloyd said 'I vote for Paul', Paul said 'I vote for Mike', and Mike said 'Ivote for Lloyd'. :D :D :D

Cu
16th Jul 2002, 15:56
What about the heroes who fought, killed, and died for their country in the Battle of Britain and World War II?!?

Those guys were in a whole different league to any of the people on that list!

Certainly those three desk pilots would be schmoosing their way up Lufthansa's greasy pole now if it wasn't for the efforts of a previous generation...

I can't believe some people's lack of awareness and perspective sometimes.

KingoftheRoad
16th Jul 2002, 16:13
Well my vote for the individual responsible for the successful introduction of the Airbus into 'BRITISH MIDLAND' goes to a certain Captain Roger Markwick.
In the face of sometimes hostile opposition, this mans gutsy determination to introduce the type, in the way he deeply believed it should be operated, has left bmi with one of the best trained and motivated fleets the company has ever had.
All this was achieved at great personal cost to Roger, and with little recognition from the management. In fact quite the reverse.
From all those who benefitted personally from Rogers unique training methods, and from those to whom his words of wisdom are still being passed on........THANK YOU !!

virgin
16th Jul 2002, 16:14
Cu
Nobody would doubt the Battle of Britain pilots were heroic, but whatever this daft poll is meant to be, it's not the 'Top 10 bravest British pilots of all time.'
"Awareness and perspective"? Hmm.

dallas dude
16th Jul 2002, 20:27
Too bad they didn't ask Captain Tim Lancaster (British Airways BAC1-11 windshield incident) who his top ten would include. I'll bet a pound that Alistair Acheson (sp?) is on his list. AA was the copilot who safely landed the aeroplane with TL dangling out the window.

Jeffrey Quill's inclusion also comes to mind.

In the US "the prince of darkness" refers to the dubious wiring systems formerly offered by Lucas auto electrics. On second thoughts, it fits PD also.

Cheers,

Cu
16th Jul 2002, 21:04
Virgin:

Well, the heading just said "top 10 British Pilots". To not include any WWII/BoB pilots at all seems rather remiss.

Anyway, had I been considering the "top 10 bravest", I might concede the presence of LCG on there - its one seriously brave man who decides to represent management to the motley crews of BA...

And please do not run away with the idea that I was suggesting I had any awareness or perspective - but you can't read this site and think anyone else has any either!!! ;) :p

InFinRetirement
17th Jul 2002, 07:11
I would say that there are a couple of hundred pilots who would ALL have a right to be included in any list of the TOP TEN.

This current list is non-representative of the wider aviation scene. It is insular in the extreme. Many great aviators have a far greater claim. Indeed, we have a few of them right here on PPRuNe.

Chris Kebab
17th Jul 2002, 07:19
How about a top ten hosties list....hmmmmm

Dan Winterland
17th Jul 2002, 08:28
The article said 'as chosen by their peers' . Did any one reading this vote?

blended winglet
17th Jul 2002, 10:50
Hmmm, not really possible to have 'top ten pilots' alone;
surely it needs to be in categories....?

say,

warbirds -
commercial -
private -

etc....

Grotehaasje
18th Jul 2002, 23:58
Please Sir, Can I have a vote?

Richard Hill - I think not!

Roger Markwick - now you're talking!

How about Max Pete ?

How about Stuart Clapson, RIP?

How about the guys who were stuffed by lax security in September alst year?

The list goes on; listen to what the Beagle said. Wise words.

As to a hostie list I'm game for that!

First votes go to every Gill hostie! Howay!

soggyboxers
19th Jul 2002, 08:56
Didn't see any helicopter pilots there either. Maybe it's because we don't have any peers (or should that be piers or pee-ers?)
:(

MaximumPete
21st Jul 2002, 16:58
Perhaps one of the "top ten pilots" would care to comment?

Curious MP:confused:

MaximumPete
23rd Jul 2002, 10:12
Come on chaps!

Don't be shy about it.

MP;)

Grotehaasje
23rd Jul 2002, 10:22
Pete,

It would appear that Richard Hill is just to self effacing to comment on his selection for the list.

That must be the cause as we know for a fact that he reads and prints off sections from PPrune and can identify the posters from their comments. You will reacll that he produced print outs and gave evidence to the Employment Tribunal saying just that.

;)

Salamander
24th Jul 2002, 08:53
Just a side-thought, but re Moneyshot's comment on Ray Hanna: I appreciate he was almost entirely single-seat, but wouldn't all the guys who flew with him on the Red Arrows have a view on what it was like to fly with him? Or any of the people at Cathay Pacific during his time there? And Breitling Fighters....

LITOW
24th Jul 2002, 15:50
Salamander

If memory serves, didn't Ray Hanna used to fly a private 707 on behalf of a Middle Eastern Prince or similar in the 70's? As I recall the reg was N790FA, but it was a long time ago.

Thrush
25th Jul 2002, 09:40
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Richard Hill. Nasty piece of work if there ever was one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Surly Bondslipper
25th Jul 2002, 14:54
Shame that nobody has yet mentioned Neil Williams. Apart from all else that he did, his incredible feat of flying an aircraft with a failed mainspar inverted back to the airfield, approaching inverted and rolling out at the last second, thus saving his life, should put him up there with the best.

Hew Jampton
25th Jul 2002, 15:21
approaching inverted and rolling out at the last second I remember Neil, with typical self-deprecating humour, saying it wasn't that good - he hadn't worked out what to do in the event of a go-around!

Some of the great training captains ought to feature in the list (Roger Markwick's already been mentioned), for example, in the UK Chris Cureton, Jim Pegram and Roger Wise, in Australia Mike La Delle; all proper instructors, not trappers, box tickers or egomaniacs.

Parapunter
26th Jul 2002, 11:00
Off topic slightly I know, but I'd nominate Robbie Whittall, a dyslexic lad from Leeds, who at the age of 18 became the world hang gliding champon & three years later, won the Paragliding World cup.

This double feat has never been equalled in the eleven years that have passed since Robbie's Hang gliding triumph. Nowadays, he's given up competing & runs Ozone Paragliders, manufacturing state of the art gliders from his base in the Alpes Maritime. A proper flying hero who was and remains an inspiration to many with his irresistable combination of skill & enthusiasm.

doubleu-anker
26th Jul 2002, 15:36
Yes, what about the poor guys who fought (and died a lot of them) for their country, while being a long way from home and on not much money etc., etc.

If it was not for these people, we could all possibly be speaking another European language as a mother tongue.

canberra
27th Jul 2002, 14:37
as a non pilot(yes there a such people) heres a few thoughts.
1. douglas bader, why is he famous? its because he flew in the battle of britain with no legs. i take my hat off to him for that, but how did he lose them? thats right in a flying accident when showing off, he admitted himself that he was wrong to do what he did. in fact if he hadnt lost his legs he would probably have been court martialled and dismissed.
2. tornados and jaguars are not toys. ive seen the damage they can do.
3. my choice of top pilot would probably be sqn ldr (retired) geoff timms. he was flying harriers at wittering until he was 62.

ojay
28th Jul 2002, 03:17
Blimey,the current leader of the red arrows must be wondering what he has to do to be a 'top pilot' compared to the BA/BD penpushers.As for the upside down set I can't really comment but it doesn't really do it for me.Airline-wise,and I think I can comment being in the biz,I vote for the guys who uncomplainingly continue to operate year in and out regardless of weather and political climate and amazingly keep their sense of humour,essentially the unsung heroes of the industry.Cheers.

HotDog
28th Jul 2002, 11:58
Moneyshot, sorry for the late reply. I have many happy hours in my logbook, flying with Ray Hanna. A great operator and a thorough gentleman, on and off duty. I would vote him amongst the top 10 any day.

Divergent Phugoid!
30th Jul 2002, 12:01
Gentlemen, Gentlemen,

We all seem to be missing two vital classes of pilot on the list...

1. The SAR pilots of the Coastguard and the Millitary. (with out whom, many of you wouldn't be alive and flying today!) Those who risk their lives on a daily basis, to help others, sometimes to save the 'Top Pilots' after they have taken the wrong choice of action, in the cockpit, whilst trying to show how good they are...

2. Every Pilot who can leave his or her 'aerodrome', fly safely and smoothly, without incident to their destination and then return safely to terra firma with their crew and passengers (where applicable) and aircraft in one piece.

These are the best pilots.

(I dont include the ladies in the above address because they are not and don't have to prove the size of their manhood!)

MaximumPete
30th Jul 2002, 16:12
Looking through this thread it has become clear that none of the "Top 10 British Pilots" would have got a mention if it hadn't been for The Independent newspaper.

Perhaps the title should have been "Top 10 Pen Pushers" as, apart from their few days a month on the line that's what they do!
Unfortunately that does not sell newspapers.

Now, I'm not denigrating the position of "Pen Pusher" but, in the interests of fair play The Independent could have a follow up article, awards could be made at a luncheon grab, sponsered by Parkers the pen company.

We know who are the Top 10 British Pilots

MP;)