PDA

View Full Version : Deep vein thrombosis

oldpax
28th Jul 2017, 06:20
I have just had a DVT (Deep vein thrombosis).This was not as a result of flying(last trip was May).For those who have not experienced one here is what happened.I found my lower leg and ankle swollen and had a pain in the groin ,I left it for 24 hours when my younger daughter who works in a surgery new what the symtoms were and rushed me of to A&E where they confirmed a DVT .had a blood sample taken which confirmed it and was given a injection in the stomach to thin my blood.Went back next day and had a ultrasound scan which saw that there was a clot in my groin in the femoral artery .I am on blood thinning meds for the next 6 months ,blood tests will check on the clots dispersal.I fly on Tuesday back to Thailand !!Have to wear compression stockings and walk around frequently!Hope this will be of interest for those who have not experienced one!One in a thousand will get one!

ZFT
28th Jul 2017, 06:51
You can still travel? I had a DVT that developed into a PE 2 years ago and I was advised against travel for the first month. Somewhat different I agree.

jolihokistix
28th Jul 2017, 06:54
Maximum sympathy. Must have been a real shock. A good thing your daughter caught it as there are much more unpleasant potential complications further up.

Homsap
28th Jul 2017, 10:23
Olpax... An informative post as I do not think there is enough awareness of DVT and it can be fatal.

I have three experiences of DVT

(a) A female friend, GP in her thirties, inured her leg skiing, a mere two hours flight back from the Alps, she probably had another risk factor in the 'medication' she was taking, common to alot of young women. Anyway her leg starts swelling and white being concerned, as doctor she didn't think she needed to go to A & E, until a friend who was a nurse looked at it and sent her straight to A & E and she was treated for a DVT.
(b) Then the second case, someone I know a male in his early sixties, had been complaining of one of his legs were swollen, after about three days at four in the morning, he had breathing difficulties, called an ambulance, which arrives within ten munutes, by this time patient was not breathing, zero blood pressure and pulse, three paramedics worked on him for thirty minutes, but never revived him. I have sight of the postmortem report, which confirmed DVT followed by PE. The point is once a clot detaches from the leg it doesn't take long to reach to lung and kill you.
(c) The finally my case, I developed a swelling and lump om my right lower leg, and based on the above, looked DVT up on the symptoms and risk factors on the UK NHS websites, I didn't have all the symptons or any risk factors. Then phoned the NHS helpline, they did an assessment over the phone and said I should go the a walk in centre (urgent case centre). Saw the doctor, who said it wasn't a DVT, but the other doctor looked at it agreed. I got the impression because DVT is so serious the two doctors cross check. Both said I did the right thing, but nothing was wrong with me on this occassion.

oldpax
29th Jul 2017, 07:24
After almost a month on blood thinning medicine my ankle and lower leg are still swollen and will continue to be so for some months .the DVT clinic did not advise me not to fly (Aug 2 )but to make sure I wear comp stockings(already bought!)and to excersise as much as I can ,its a long haul back to Thailand ! I will post on my return!

magyarflyer
29th Jul 2017, 11:41
you have what is calles postphlebitic syndrome, once a clot is present it damages the valves and produces chronic reflux unfortunately for life, dvt involved your femoral vein, not your femoral artery

ultrasound is the definite test for dvt but if you have a dvt in the iliac veins (larger veins) ultrasound is non diagnostic and you have to undergo more complex tests like ct venogram that few radiologists can interpret right

once you are anticoagulated usually with an oral agent that thins your blood within 3-4 hrs we assume that you might be safe from a pulmonary embolus which is a fatal outcome.
in general unless there is thrombophilia (tendency to clot) i assume that my patients are safe to fly as long as they dont drink alcohol, hydrate themselves and ambulate in the airplane every 2 hrs with compression stockings within 2 weeks of the onset, but the time is debatable and you will find many different opinions

Radgirl
30th Jul 2017, 10:55
Indeed you will.